Preg maiden mare kicks when utters touched...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoeleeme

Reaction score
My daughters pregnant mare doesn't like to have her utters touched or even just in front of them... She doesn't really kick out at you, it's more of a stomp!

But I am a little worried that she will do this to the foal when it is born. Has anyone ever had this problem before birth and then no problem after the birth?
default_unsure.png
: Any suggestions how to get her over this? I just keep feeling her even though she objects! Thanks, Linda McQ

All my mares don't like to get udder touched in their pregnancy. And they show me that with " stay away its out of your business". When the baby is here they all fine. So don't worry

Hope it helped

Anita

Little Texas Minis

Sulphur Springs TX

[email protected]

I`m with Anita!!! It sounds so silly to me hen people say you have to make the mare accept being touched and fiddled with on her udders every day or she wont let the foal feed!! Of course she will coz nature is wonderful and hormones kick in and there is a BIG difference between feeding your young and being grappled with when you are feeling pretty rough anyway!! I remember the difference from when my Daniel was born!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

default_wacko.png
: THis is all way to familar for me! lol! I "just" got done dealing with this 2 days ago! It was a real pill with my maiden mare~! She "at first" wanted NO part of the baby! Her bag was real tight, so it was painfull to be touched/messed with. I had to tie her up and make her "behave" and learn to stand there and NOT lean into me! She was awful at that! They can stand there like a big girl, when they do stand good..... make sure you praise them!! Also... that mare needs to learn to put that hind leg back (of which ever side the baby's nursing on). Which makes it allot easier for that baby to find the utters.. My mare was so bad at first I held her back leg up, like a farrier would do to trim..... that was the only way "at the very beginning" for her to stand still..... I think once she figured out that she was going to have to behave and could not get away with her behavior......... she was very good! But it was some work! And now she is thee best little "protective!!" mare!! She's sooo good to her baby!! And she enjoys being a new momma!

Good Luck!
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a maiden mare foal in February who would NOT let you touch her udder for any reason. She was as sweet and gentle as she could be in every other way, but would throw the worst fit in the world when you tried to check her. I was really worried about what she would do when the foal arrives. When it did, she screamed like you were killing her to begin with, but stood still for the foal to nurse without being restrained at all. I was so thankful.

Here is the result.

fktmp2_0023.jpg

Why I love experienced mares! Maidens are so maidenish! The don't touch me there or what is this new little thing I want to look at it the whole time or ignore it! Why is it crying.

Some maidens get it right away and some don't. We've had a few that wouldn't let the foal near their udder, until after we had milked them at least once. I think it was the release of pressure on their bag that convinced them it was a good thing! All (so far) have accepted the baby and been fabulous moms within a few hours.

It's the same with most of ours about washing their udder - hissy fits until they're really getting cleaned then they'll practically hike their leg up!

JMO I think its good for the maidens to be touched down there. They need to get use to the feel before the get surprized by the foal and the foal getting hurt. They might not like it but atleast get them use to it. I agree doing every day is a little too much. The way I do it is once they accept it I leave them alone.

Like the others have said, Mother Nature usually kicks in when the foal arrives. HOWEVER, we make the extra effort to try to desensitize them prior to that. It takes some time and patience, though.

With slow gradual skritches starting on their sides and then moving gradually down under the belly. Eventually she is okay with skritches around her navel and infront of her bag. Once that works I use a warm damp wash cloth and wash her bag. Eventually they decide they actually LIKE it!

MA

Latest posts

Back