Prayers please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue S

Reaction score
I don't know where to post this but I was wondering if you could say a prayer for the first horse we have ever bought, he got kicked by another horse this morning, he can't walk on his right back leg, we put him in our round pen and had the vet out to see if she thought it was broke, she checked it and couldn't find anything, she put him on meds and we put bute in his grain, we have to do that several times untl monday, if its not any better we will have xrays taken, if its broke we will have to put him down, my hubby is so worried its his horse I bought it for his birthday 6 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your vet have a portable x-ray machine? Our vet is able to take an x-ray at ranches/farms. I pray your horse will be ok.

I'm so sorry. Hopefully he will be doing much better by Monday. Will they do x-rays before they put him down????? Seems fast
default_unsure.png
: I will be praying for him
default_pray.gif
:

don't panic just yet. what can seem like a terrible lameness will magically get better after a few days. having had big horses for 30+ years, i have had my share of horsey lamenesses. i have never had one NOT recover. if his leg was broken, he would very likely be exhibiting some pretty significant pain that bute won't touch plus he would put virtually no weight on the affected leg.

i bet he just has a darn good bruise/soft tissue injury that will heal in time. some horses (my big gelding comes to mind!) have a much lower pain threshhold. the one time tuffy had a hoof abcess, you would have thought he was dying. hang in there! prayers and good thoughts coming your way!
default_smile.png

Don't give up Sue S.!! Lots of prayers and good thoughts coming your way. What treatment is your vet having you do? Ice? Cold-hosing? Wrapping? Any poultice or something similar for the swelling?

This past January, my 29 year old gelding (my first horse ever!) blew out his left front superficial digital flexor tendon; not torn, basically disintegrated. VERY scary! :new_shocked: The ultrasound results were unreal. My vet kept warning me that a horse his age probably wouldn't make it, but Ghost is the sweetest, most loving horse ever, and I was determined to do everything possible if he was willing to fight. I iced it 'round the clock, cold-hosed it, wrapped it twice daily, he was on bute/Banamine along with Ulcer Guard for a month, and I'd alternate it with Surpass (a topical form of Bute that bypasses the stomach and is absorbed through the skin). He was in so much pain that I told him he could go if he needed to, and I would help him.
default_crybaby.gif
: One night, as I was on the ground with his head in my lap, I knew he was going to make it. He looked deep in my eyes and I just knew.

I thank God every day that he fought so hard. We've been together 17 years. He made it through and my vets were amazed. He's got lots of scar tissue, and doesn't seem much more gimpy than he already was, but he has retained his patriarch status of the ranch. (Ghost also was kicked by a feisty mare about 12 years ago just above his hock. He has a hard ridge of scar tissue there, too, but other than a little limp, he was fine. It swelled up like a telephone pole!)

Sorry for the long post, but there's hope! Keep the faith!
default_pray.gif
: And please let us know how he's doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: Any updates this morning.

I am pulling for him. Hopefully he is just sore.

Our horse still isn't putting any weight on his leg, very little, he lays down alot, he is on bute, I wish that the vet would of taken xrays at the time, he keeps whinning for the other horses but we won't put him in with them tell he starts showing signs of getting better, his leg doesn't show any swelling that we can see, the vet said that it will take a while for him to start showing some improvement, just hope that it isn't broke,

Have you figured out where on his leg he's been kicked?

Several years ago, when I was boarding, I went out to check my horses and my gelding was acting off. He'd try to pee but wouldn't stretch, kind of hobbled when he walked and more (its been several years, so I don't remember all the details). I was worried that he was tying up or something, so called the vet; vet couldn't find any normal signs of tying up, but when he palpated the big butt muscle on one side of his tail he was extremely sore. We didn't see it happen, but what we deduced is that the yearling filly really planted one on him playing and really sored up his big muscle. He went on bute for about a week and when the vet checked back he was fine. [A few years ago, my husband's mare kicked the same gelding in the abdomen, and left a tennis ball size hematoma; several days of DMSO and he was right as rain. So, now he has his own paddock; at 24 he doesn't need that kind of rough-housing.]

Good news on our horse Stormy, he is alot better, still limbing but can put some weight on it, we were so happy to see that, Going to call the vet today and tell her he is using his leg more and shouldn't need any xrays, Thank the Lord, we already have a 2500 dollor vet bill for our chow. He was running up some stairs to get up on the deck and his leg slipped between the stairs and he broke it in 2 places, when it rains it pours. We can go for years with out any animals getting hurt than this year we have had 3 animals get hurt.

:aktion033: glad to hear your horse is better. we will still keep your horse in our prayers.

great! this is the news i was hoping for and pretty much expecting. he'll just get better and better now and soon, you won't even notice a limp.

oh your poor dog! talk about a freak accident! hope his recovery is quick.

Latest posts

Back