Poll for Measurment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Measurment at the Withers

• Start Measuring at the Withers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Continue measuring the Last hair of the Mane

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I must really have a strange herd as I can easily find withers on even the porkiest of my minis. Including the ones that seem to have "no" withers.

I have found it easiest to measure there since it is the highest point near where the mane ends (which to me, is FAR harder to find on a horse that wants to step out of place or rear or shy from the measuring stick).

Liz M.

Also a vast number of horses will be suddenly oversize and progeny oversize as you shrink the upper height limit by as much as 2" on some horses. Not likely to be supported.
A vast number of horses are Already oversize.

I highly recommend backing this proposal. I always measure mine at the highest point of the withers just as I have measured horses my whole life.

I'm sorry but I do Not support changing the height limits. I'm all for changing the official measuring process though - along with they must be standing square with their head in a natural position.

I always assumed the weird measuring process was mostly because of the horses conformation back then. Look in the old Worlds from the early 80's most were what I call mutton withered -hard to find a high point so where do you stop....well a compromise at the last hair of the mane. We're so past that now......the more 'horsey' our get, the more prominent the wither. A good step towards eventually having the miniature horse be an actual breed is correct measurement. Good work Belinda.

Myself I also don't want to change the height limits, just leave the ones that have been measured in as permanent as they are "foundation" or whatever (as in don't boot out the ones already "in"), but start using this new system of measuring (new..hahhaha) for all the foals born say 2007 and on.

I really can't see a HUGE difference, but then again, most of my horses have manes that end right at the withers or thereabouts or I clip them up myself to where I like to measure *shrugs*. I just like a neat looking topline near the wither, not the "dead pelt" look that some of them have as in a long stripe of winter hair going down the back where the mane hair is or isn't, looks messy to me.

Liz M.

Withers, yes, but only if the height limit is changed to 39" or 40" at the wither. That doesn't mean horses will be any taller, it just allows for those horses that have prominent withers and mane that ends a bit further down.

By making the rule to be 38" at the top of the wither you are going to eliminate some of the higher withered horses that would measure under at the last mane hair now. IMO that would be a shame. If we want our Mini "horses" to become more horselike, it would be foolish to eliminate those with good withers.

I think it would be better to measure all show horses the same way; making the limit 39" (or 40") to the top of the wither would accomodate all horses and eliminate the need for 2 methods of measuring.

Did anyone attend the measurement clinic in Florida? I did. It still leaves the measurement to a perception idea. The top of the withers, is the top of the withers,or highest point. I do not understand the last hairs of the mane as being the point of measurement. We do have several by-law proposals pending. They need to have the author present to explain,clean up the language, and defend thier idea threw the committee level then to the floor to the membership.

Mini Thanks

Great idea Belinda!

So, the big question how do we make this a reality with AMHR & AMHA?

Someone mentioned here that there were a few proposals in the works - which registry?

As slow as both registries are to take action I would think starting with 2008 foals and going forward. That gives everyone a chance to get use to the idea, learn to measure correctly, etc.

I am on the by-laws committee for AMHA. We see these proposals come through with great intentions. As a committee we go through them word for word, some of the ideas are great with alot of thought,but they are against our by-laws or articals of incorporation. Some times the words do not fit the authors intent. If you want to make this change you need to see where all the conflicts are and contact these committees, but you need to personally see it through each step. When it gets to by-laws if the author is not present to help make any changes , we as a committee can not do that for fear that it will change the intent of the submission. This is a no no at committee level. We have had to drop alot of proposals that just needed to change a few words as to not be in conflict with other areas. Then we have had to send it to the general membership meeting with no recomendation or a vote of not recomending. You as the original author can still have your time on the floor in front of the membership if it has come through the proper channels. This just a short note on this subject. If you want help getting this through these committees contact any of us on these committees, we will gladly try and help. It is your membership and your word counts. THE HEIGHT OF OUR MINIATURES IS NOT IN THE ARTICALS OF INCORPORATION FOR THE AMHA

Mini Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told by a Director that the height was in the articles of incorporation and that to change the height would mean changing them.

Please can you clarify as we now have conflicting reports from equally qualified people.

And THANKYOU for such a very positive and helpful report so far- this will be a tremendous help to everyone.

I was told by a Director that the height was in the articles of incorporation and that to change the height would mean changing them.

Please can you clarify as we now have conflicting reports from equally qualified people.

And THANKYOU for such a very positive and helpful report so far- this will be a tremendous help to everyone.

I looked in the front of the 06 rule book it is not in the Articals of Incorporation, it is how ever in by-laws and rules and regs, and show rules. They must all be delt with together. Everyone should read The mission statement, the Articals of Incorporation, and the by-laws. The most interesting is COOPERATE WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS WITH SIMILAR INTREST IN THE MINIATURE HORSE. Lets move fwd.

Mini Thanks

I would love to be able to have my mini's measured at the withers. Granted Maggie has some really high withers that would raise her height a good 2 inches. But I do not care, as she would still be the same sweet Maggie.

That idea is a good one.

Latest posts

Back