Please keep our Annie in your Prayers!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]It has been a long 28 hours since Mel and I have been dealing with our 18-year-old, Kewpie's Arina(Annie)Of Arenosa(Kewpie's El Monterry Of Arenosa x Kewpie's Ruby Of Arenosa by Kewpie Doll's Diablo)..It was about 9:00pm yesterday evening that Annie started to colic. We gave her banimine and walked her out until she seemed better...but as happens banimine can often mask what is really going on. I stayed awake all night checking on her and about 2:00 am she started to get worse again so called the vet...I decided against bringing her in at that time, but going instead to get another type of seditive. She was much better after that and by morning looked much better and eggerly ate a lite breakfast, but by 11am, we had her at the vet office. She(our vet) first checked her all out and said there was a bread size loaf which was pretty firmly in place just past her colon and into her intestines...so she tubed her with water and stool softerner first, then we pushed 2 bags of IV fluid through her and then she tubed her again with water and oil and sent us home with 2 more bags of IV fluids and more seditives. She is in her stall tonight with 2 blankets on(6 degree above) and we gave her the other 2 IV fluids and more seditives. She has much more gut sounds and flatulence than before, but unless she starts to pass stool, her changes are NOT good..
default_no.gif
...at this hour Mel is finally sleeping and she is doing okay, but still no stools. If she does well the rest of tonight we will take her back to our vet tomorrow morning and she will tube her again. But we also need to decide when enough is enough and we can't afford surgery. Even if we could afford it, we have decided that, that is NOT an option...
default_no.gif
[/SIZE]

Please, Please pray for our Annie. Our Christmas wish is that she "WILL" past this blockage and recover
default_pray.gif

IMG_0198.jpg

Here is Annie with her 2009 filly, Audrita

Thanks for listening and MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone
default_wub.png

Jenny

default_saludando.gif
Iam so sorry to hear about your little annie sending well wishes and lots of healing vibes all the way from australia...get well soon little annie
default_wub.png

Jenny and Mel

My thoughts are with you and Annie and am hoping for a good outcome. Annie was the very first shetland that I ever owned many years ago.

Arlene

Saying prayers for your Annie. Hope she is better this morning.

Barbie

Jenny you have a very wise veterinarian. It is amazing how many bags of fluid it can take, but they usually will pass these masses if they are well hydrated.

That therapy was started in Brazil a number of years ago and MANY horses have avoided colic surgery by the therapy your veterinarian is using.

It may take a few days to accomplish, but you are on the right track. Do not give up hope. I have been there too with a good outcome.

My sincere thoughts are with you and Annie. Don't give up on her too soon. It always looks worse before it looks better. If she continues to make progress stick it out. She is worth the effort.

I agree with Joanne and also have vets who feel that the oil is better used as a marker to see when things have passed and that fluids is a great way to treat. You will all be in my thoughts

Prayers lifted up for your sweet Annie! {{{WARMESTLOVE&HUGS}}} to you both!

I will be praying for your girl as well, I hope to see good news here tomorrow.

I am so sorry she is so ill. We had this with a foal once that must have eaten shavings. We kept him on pain meds, oil, yogurt and lots and lots of oily enemas. And he did pass it. Surgery was not an option. Hope this will be a great outcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a true labor of love to care for a sick horse in the winter.

I am thinking of you and hope for a good outcome...

I am praying too that Annie will recover quickly for you! Sounds like she is on the best road to recovery.

Merry Christmas to you!

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts and prayers for Annie......AND you both. This has been a rough year.

Ma---

Latest posts

Back