Please humor me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoopiedoo

Reaction score
Okay, so she's not a baby, and my photography stinks, she needs to be clipped for baby, but everyone around me keeps saying she's not ready....Here are pictures of her udder 2 days ago and then tonight. Will you please tell me what you think? I'm usually soooo clear headed and calm, but this is different!!!!! She's my munchkin, it's different.
default_wub.png

Here is her udder two days ago and then today. She's either 302 or 303 today and I am POSITIVE of that as we only bred her two days and then she was NOT exposed again!

100_0869.jpg

100_0877.jpg

I know that I have to clip her belly, I just want to know what any of you might think about how soon....

Thanks in advance!

Jodi

Of course, you never know, udder signs aren't 100%, but I also agree she doesn't quite look ready. Her bag will fill up more, pointing her nipples down or out, not in. But, as I said, that's not 100%, some mares won't even bag up until after the baby is born!

Jessi

Thanks Jessi
default_cheekkiss.gif
She's got me more nervous than I generally get just because she IS my baby girl. She had loose poops tonight and her udder felt quite warm when I went to get my daily pictures. I'm admittedly edgy, and I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Jodi

Okay, I will guess.

From the way her bag looks like it has gotten quite a bit bigger in just two days. I am going to guess she will foal in about 7 to 10 days, if her bag continues to fill out. But she could foal before her bag finishes filling out. I would definitely be keeping an eye on her.

I have a maiden mare I am watching. I was told she was ultra sounded on 7/24/07 and was 5 months along (she was pasture bred). Well she gets a little bag for a couple of days and then it goes down for about 4 or 5. Then it happens again.
default_wacko.png
I have been keeping an eye on this mare since Jan.
default_laugh.png

I hope your mare doesn't keep you hanging to long.

Good luck.

Scoopiedoo, First let me say I LOVE THAT NAME
default_smile.png
Then let me tell you I am playing the `waiting game' too, I too am usually the last one to panic but the thought of something going wrong and me not being there to help well you must know, I wont go into that anyway your girl is lovely and I hope you get rested and she has a lovely healthy baby, my thoughts and prayers are with you, Renee and larger than life Gracie

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't blame you for being nervous! I am already starting to get that way, and mine aren't as close as yours is ;) One mare will hit day 300 this week, another next week. And the third is around a month behind them. The first started some udder developtment last week, but not much yet. The other two, still nothing. oh, and hte first two due are both maidens. I"m excited and terrified at the same time! Good luck with your girl, I look forward to the birth announcement!
default_smile.png

Jessi

Thank you for responding, everyone. I am such a headcase over her, and I'm normally not such a weenie! I appreciate you all taking the time to offer your opinions.

Thank you much!

Jodi

If she were my mare I wouldn't take my eyes off of her, especially since you said she's got the loose poops.. Is she relaxing in the back at all? Does her belly V? Has she been eating like normal?

She IS eating like normal, she is getting a tad bit looser behind, and yes she had a clear V belly tonight when viewing her on the cam! Her tummy has tucked up some in the last couple of days, too.

I don't know ANYTHING about pregnant mares all of a sudden!!!!!!!!

Jodi

Maiden mares can be really tricky. I have had plenty that have hardly bagged up and one (last year) that I checked at 9:00 AM and decided that there was no bag, so I turned her out to pasture. 3 hours later I wnet out to check on her and she was way out in pasture away from the other horses and there was this little white thing trying to stand up by her side. A Beautiful cremello filly (who was fine) but, 3 hours before there was no bag!!

I had another that I really did not think she was ready as there was not much of a bag, but since it was March 16th here (Minnesota) that I decided to bring her in for the night. Sure enough, she foaled early AM.

I have never had one go 300 days, mine all go about 340, I have 9 that I am watching right now, all at least 300 to 330 days so far. Only one is getting a little bag in the group, and only one is a maiden mare. I have them all outside as I only have 4 foaling stalls, 2 cameras and 2 halter alarms, but as they get closer I will be nervous that I miss one and the poor foal would be born outside. They are all in a sheltered area, but still, outside is cold!! The barn is heated.

Anyway, I would be watching your mare really closely right now. These guys do not read the book and can be eating one minute and foaling the next.

Good Luck!!

How exciting!
default_yes.gif
She looks like she's coming right along! What is her vulva doing?

It's relaxing some, but not leaps and bounds yet, Robin. Thanks for looking and reminding me to be excited about this baby.
default_rolleyes.gif
I've been so nervous about her, I've not gotten excited as she's progressing so fast and it's throwing me off. She forgot to read the book, I think!
default_laugh.png

Thanks

Jodi

My maiden mare last year went about 2 weeks over and she was not hardly bagged up, she bagged up after having the baby. She had an easy time having the baby.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and clip her belly now. One less thing to have to worry about.
default_smile.png
These darn maiden mares keep us on our toes even more than the experienced mares don't they? Good luck!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back