Please help! My first show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrostyMeadows

Reaction score
Hi! I am going to my first show, on very short notice (less than 1 week) and I could REALLY use some advice PLEASE. I read the AMHA book to learn about halter class and practiced today, I ran into a couple of issues. First, I was told to try to keep him beside and slightly in front of me, and to keep him between me and the judge, but during the pattern there are times where I will be between the judge and horse when we turn around a corner? am I supposed to change sides mid trot? I'm SOOO confused?

Also, My horse has decided that he is going to be a donkey and just STOP trotting next to me and pull back. Do any of you have ideas on how I could stop this behavior? I tried trotting with a lunge whip to encourage behind movement but he just "freaked out" and over reacted. ???

ANY advice for our first show would be great and OHHH so appreciated

OH Yea, I don't have show clothes, can I get away with a blouse, vest & slacks?

THANK YOU
wacko.gif

The clothes - OK. Unless it's showmanship then read the rules. Don't have AMHA in front of me but AMHR requires jacket, hat, boots and gloves (I think).

The trotting - have you over worked him? Maybe too much repetition has soured him? Are you using the halter and lead with a chain that you'll be using in the show? If so maybe he doesn't like the chain hitting him...so go back to the barn halter. If you haven't been using the "show" halter put it on him and persuade him to move either by bumping him with the chain or by using something shorter than a lunge whip (put it behind you and bump his butt when you say trot). Then when he moves off WITH you make a big fuss about "what a good boy" and maybe a treat. Do that a few times until he moves off without being bumped.

If he's very young remember to keep the "training" sessions short 15 min for yearling or under; 30 minutes for older but that's about tops for halter work.

Are you headed to the Douglas Fair? If so it is outside so usually they will relax the jacket requirement and you are fine in a blouse and slacks. If you have a vest that is acceptable as well it is a fun show and a great place to get started! I am certain there will be club members there who will be more than happy to help you out as well. I will not be showing there this week due to Time restraints but we may go help out if needed. Feel free to pm me if you want!

As far as the stopping trick all our horses try that at some point I would keep practicing with the whip or use the end of your lead until he figures out you aren't giving up-lol. How old is he? I assume this is his first show as well? When you go in for your class have another person go

first so he has someone to follow, you can also

watch how they stand with their horse it gets easier after you watch a few classes!! Good luck and have fun!! Did you also hear about state fair this year, august 31 that is often a fun show as well!!

OK your reply's brought me to another question... All I have right now is a leather western show halter, not one of those fancy little ones with a chain. and with the show in 4 days I wont have time to order one and train in it. Am I going to be laughed out of the arena? This is just an open fun show that I am hoping to learn at but prefer not to be laughed at
unsure.gif

My horse is a 3yr old gelding and he is new to showing also (and he has ADD!)

No one will laugh at you!

The only way to learn is to go!

You will have so much fun and learn so much just by watching other people.

Use your western halter and do not worry about it.

Often they trot better at a show than home because they get excited.

Try to stay calm so that your horse stays calm

Are you going to the open show at the Weld County Fairgrounds? I am going, just to watch though, because I have never been to a miniature horse show. I am so excited just to go watch and learn. It will be less stressful for me. I don't have any showing advice for you, but GOOD LUCK! I'm sure it will be fun!

default_saludando.gif
Take your first and even second show as a learning and fun shows..doesnt matter if you dont win

as long as you have fun and learn lots and there will be lots of lovely helpful people to meet ..

GOOD LUCK we wont lots of pictures........

In the open show your leather halter will be just fine. In fact in the open shows (around here anyway) the petite arab halters we use in AMHR are in the minority. No one's going to laugh. Go have fun and learn.

Thank you so much, you all have really eased my mind. I'm looking forward to having fun with my horse! The idea is really to spend time with my horse and other horse people. It's just a little scary to have no idea what I'm doing, but you have really answered my questions. Thank you!!

The best thing is if they are looking at horses individually as the go in, don't be first in line. Also watch any halter classes you can before your class. You will do fine. You halter will be fine and your horse will be awesome. Just remember to first have fun.

As for show clothes, my daughter gets all of her show clothes for local shows at Goodwill. Any nice fitting slacks or dark color jeans will be great. Any nice blazer will work fine, colorful ones are great and make sure they have open pockets for bait. When she wears a jacket, she wears a nice tank top under it or a nice light weight tee shirt. A long sleeve shirt with a vest will be just fine. Boots are normal but if you don't have any, you can wear loafers or a nice pair of low heel shoes. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive to be able to show. Don't feel out of place at all, everyone had to start somewhere and as long as you come away from the show with a smile on your face, you won. Make sure you get pictures t share

Latest posts

Back