Please critique Nemo.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylie

Reaction score
Please critique our new stallion, rising 4yo, not in show condition, needs more work done on his hooves but doing it over a period of time (had lots of heel, no toe).

Thanks.

(not the best pics as not much sun & stood up by a non horsey person, lol
default_biggrin.png
)

new_20thmarch.jpg

new_20thmarch4.jpg

new_20thmarch1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I shouldnt even answer this cause Im no expert ATALL. lol but the pics make him rather longgg bodied looking..

Dont take offense I swear I know NOTHING

Thanks, yep he's a bit long, nothing over exaggerated but just a touch.

Dont stress, wont take offense as i wouldnt post the question otherwise... so hit me with your critiques, lol.
default_biggrin.png

I love him none the less.
default_yes.gif

Hi Kylie!
default_saludando.gif

Heres what I like about him:

*Attractive head and neck, a bit thick, but looks nice

*pretty nice hip

*porportanate(sp?) legs

What I dont like

*lower neck tie-in

*long bodied

*low tailset

* I cant decide if his legs are strait.

Pretty Cute!
default_biggrin.png

Hi Kylie!
default_saludando.gif

Heres what I like about him:

*Attractive head and neck, a bit thick, but looks nice

*pretty nice hip

*porportanate(sp?) legs

What I dont like

*lower neck tie-in

*long bodied

*low tailset

* I cant decide if his legs are strait.

Pretty Cute!
default_biggrin.png

Yes, i agree with the neck bit, i seriously need a neck sweat (for him, lol
default_biggrin.png
).

I bought him (well my dad did) 2 wks ago, he was EXTREMELY cheap.... when he was for sale as a weanling with his breeder at a price atm i couldnt afford, i truly wanted to own him, but something popped up.

To own him now, im very happy, he's ceratinly not perfect but i think we might try a bit of everything, halter showing, harness (if im game), Mini Performance etc.

Thanks again.
default_saludando.gif

No problem! I hope you have fun with him!
default_smile.png

Just IMO ..

He is just a bit tad log in the face with a plainer head, he is lacking a defined jaw and has more QH type head (hey nothing wrong with that). His neck is slightly thick but looking at that first photo i bet if you sweat his neck down some he was have a nice neck on him, he could use just a tad more length (i've been looking at to many shetlands ..though). His neck does set lower. He has a nice shoulder on him, ballanced with the barrel and hip.

I like his topline but his croup is not what i personally like (i love level croups) and his tailset could come up a bit. Is he long in the back, i dont think he is that bad ..maybe just a tad. I really like his hip, just would level out that croup and bring that tailset up higher if i could. He is in pretty good shape, really good shape, so he looks nice and tucked. The head and hip faults are the biggest faults i would say. Then agian, you play off the head with a nice show halter.

Just noticed but he may be slightly pig eyed as well ..when you show him razor above his eye and put some black face highler around the top ..should help play it off a bit.

His legs look straight and forward.

I do not look at what is wrong ..i guess i think of it as what would i fix if i could
default_smile.png

Please critique our new stallion, rising 4yo, not in show condition, needs more work done on his hooves but doing it over a period of time (had lots of heel, no toe).

Thanks.

(not the best pics as not much sun & stood up by a non horsey person, lol
default_biggrin.png
)

new_20thmarch.jpg

I'll work with this pic - he looks the most balanced and set up here. I wonder if he lost 30 lbs and was conidtioned if his croup would look better and his tail set not so off. He does have lower croup.

His head is a bit plain, but it doesn't help that his neck is so thick. It is set a bit odd, but again, 30lbs and conditioning makes a big difference. I would look at sweating his neck as well. Maybe put him on Quiessence (sp?) to help with his thicker crest.

I think if you play on the first pic, where you have him stretched out a bit more and you can get him to stretch his whole body, we might see a bit better balance. Also he needs to square a bit more on the back legs, he is sprawled out.

Also what makes his head look longer is his foretop - it has a really big bush on top, you might want to trim that down a bit, it looks like it might take an 1 to 1 1/2 inches of his length - okay I don't mean length I mean off the top of the bushy part, or try oiling it down? And then I would trim his cheekbone and nostrils to take advantage of any angles he has that will help accentuate his face too.

Gee, I need to go look in my own barn now! LOL!

Thanks heaps Leeana.

Ok, how could i get his croup some slightly level, work him any special way?

Yes, i'll be buying a neck sweat asap, lol, how should i use it (never had to before, thanks)?

Thanks again, any advice will be warmly appreciated.

Regards.
default_aktion033.gif

What I see overall is a fairly nicely balanced horse with a good shoulder, well proportioned body and good legs. He does drop off at his croup a bit which will enable him to get his butt under himself for power. He has a good body on him with substance through the barrel and waist. His neck is a bit cresty which is typical of an older stallion, ties in a bit on the low side and is also a bit ewed which makes him upheaded. You will have to work to get him off his forehand but he has the power behind to do that. He has a good throatlatch and nicely proportioned, slim, although somewhat plain, head. He has nice short cannons and a nice length of pastern for comfortable movement. The angle of his hooves as you said don't match his pasterns but you are working on that
default_yes.gif
I think you likely have quite a nice performance horse here who will do reasonably well in halter although not a champion.

What I see overall is a fairly nicely balanced horse with a good shoulder, well proportioned body and good legs. He does drop off at his croup a bit which will enable him to get his butt under himself for power. He has a good body on him with substance through the barrel and waist. His neck is a bit cresty which is typical of an older stallion, ties in a bit on the low side and is also a bit ewed which makes him upheaded. You will have to work to get him off his forehand but he has the power behind to do that. He has a good throatlatch and nicely proportioned, slim, although somewhat plain, head. He has nice short cannons and a nice length of pastern for comfortable movement. The angle of his hooves as you said don't match his pasterns but you are working on that
default_yes.gif
I think you likely have quite a nice performance horse here who will do reasonably well in halter although not a champion.

I agree. I'd love to have a horse like that to drive.

Thanks heaps Leeana.
Ok, how could i get his croup some slightly level, work him any special way?
I do not think you could really "change" it, like i said ..when i look at the horse i think of it as if i was given a magic wond and could change anything ..what would i change. I dont think of it as what is "wrong". I hope my wording didnt confuse you ..he really looks like he is built to be a performance horse
default_smile.png
. You can "set his croup" in the how ring ..it will level it out a bit and make the tail appear higher for he judge but it wont change the conformation itself
default_smile.png

default_saludando.gif
Hi!

What I see in the side view body picture...... He does look fairly balanced. I do like the way his neck comes out of his shoulders/weithers. As like any Sr.stallion not in condition, I've not seen one who'd not been in condition have a perfect thin neck. So with wrapping & conditioning his neck that would give him a gorgeous neck look, which would deffinately give a really nice over all apperance and do well in the show pen. I also like that he looks refined.

As others stated, he does have a plainer head, but it's not bad, it's attractive, but a bit plain. The one thing that I deffinately would not like, for a "halter" stallion, his he is too rounded at the croup (in his rear). I would want a flater croup, flatter top line..... But over all he's not a bad looking horse and he does have nice markings.....
default_yes.gif

Thankyou very much everyone.

I have printed of these 2 pages for further reference & to see what changes in a few mths time with neck sweating & some work etc.

Its very interesting to read & i appreciate the time you all have taken.

Thanks very much for your help.
default_aktion033.gif
default_saludando.gif

I personally really like the way his neck comes out of his shoulders, very nice and upright with a nice arch to it. I think his head fits his overall body type well. I agree that he is steep in the croup and long barreled. He seems to have rather long pasterns, which is unusual in minis, at least I haven't really seen it, they are usually more upright. The combination of croup and pasterns I should think would give him nice movement for driving, and he looks like he could have a nice headset. Overall, he looks like a very nice horse, you were lucky to find him.
default_wub.png
Good luck w/ him!!!

Latest posts

Back