Platform feed for miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hello,

we are trying to change our feeding for our minis. I wanted to know the cost of platform for mins? Do you all like it or not? My friend says safe choice is great. I have read alot about different feeds, but not sure wish to go with.our co-op has to order platform for minis, because here in mississippi alot of folks feed sweet feed.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I fed sweet feed for years before I switched to Platform for minis 6 months ago. Never had any problems with the sweet feed, but everybody just looked fat all the time.
default_wacko.png
: I've been feeding Platform for 6 months now and am very happy with how my horses look. Instead of switching to the Mare & Foal sweet feed that I normally would prior to foaling, I've left the pregos on the Platform and they look great!! Everyone is healthy and happy and they all love the feed. It costs about $14.50 per bag here, but I don't go through a bag as quickly as I did before.

I know other folks will offer their opinions on this feed and some will be negative. I can only say that it has worked for my horses. You might try doing a search on the Forum for Platform mini feed, you will find several prior discussions on it.

I JUST got platform with those buy one bag get one free coupons.. i've been wanting to ask others HOW much they feed? the label says for a 150lbs horse (which lets face it..most mini's are more than that) to feed 1.0-3.0 lbs for moderate to hard working horses... do you all really feed them that much? 1 lbs is 3 cups of it..so that would be 6-12 cups of it a day for a moderate/hard working mini... just curious if you all find that you need to feed that much?

Does it really work for lactating mares? or do you find you need something more intense to keep the weight up?

My horses are non-working unless you count pawing for food as true exercise!!
default_wacko.png
: They get plenty of free choice hay and most get 1-2 cups per day of the Platform. Mares getting ready to foal and lactating mares get 4 cups per day. I've only had one mare foal so far this year. She looks great after foaling with good body condition and weight. I have another mare bagging up now and her bag is filling nicely. The feed can be adjusted to suit individual horses. My mares that are air ferns and stay consistently plump, are only getting a cup per day. My really fat mare has slimmed down some and is looking much better coming out of winter. I like this feed. It works for me and my horses.

ok so for the most part you can feed quite a bit less than recommended on the label as max feed. I've been trying to decide as far as feed goes how i should be compairing it as far as switching.... and if people find they really need to feed the max amount or if it works well and you don't have to feed much

are they new or are they the expired ones? if they are new SURE i'll take them!

That's just what I feed and what works for my horses. Others may feed the recommended amount and have that work for their horses. When I started feeding it, I never fed the recommended amount as I felt that was just too much. If I had found that my horses weren't getting enough and weren't looking in good weight, I would have adjusted it upwards. I guess you just need to try it and see how it does for your horses.

Edited to add: I would love any coupons!!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sorry I just looked they are expired dang it March 31st I should of looked sorry :eek:

darn..lol i was hoping they had sent out new ones! lol they sent out mine that expired on march 31st and i received mine in the mail on march 27/28!! talk about not giving you much time to use them! lol

I was feeding all my minis another feed and they all were chunky monkeys. changed them all to Platform my stallion, ,mare and gelding the stallion showed the quickest changed I saw it on him first and was really pleased. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I also changed to weighing all the grain for everyone or the feed . But I'm happy with the end results and plan on staying with this one. I too got coupons mailed to me on the 27 of March to see that it expired on the 31st not to pleased with that emailed the company to let them know I do use the brand and would like to get the coupons earlier if at all possible. We pay 14.99 a bag at Tractor Supply but the other feed store I deal with also said they could order it in for me a few bags at a time. Not many minis in my local area.

I had gone to one of their "discussion panels" when the company that makes it was first planning their advertising campaign and getting product ideas.

There were lots of people in there, from people who had pet minis to people who showed them.

To me, it just seemed like a marketing ploy. The makers of the product (Farnam?) were interested to see if we "miniature horse people" would buy a product "just for our horses" so we didn't need to use other stuff. They would make a "one size fits all grain."

The product is advertised as being for miniature horses "that are prone to obesity" and have "efficient digestive systems."

To me, it seems like I'd be buying watered-down grain that would make my minis think they were getting grain, but would not get fat on it.

Now, yes I would LOVE a simple feeding program. I am one of those people who feeds a million ingredients and supplements.

However, my minis are WORKED and generally except for one or two, are VERY HARD keepers. I seem to have a very hard time keeping weight on my minis. I feed Purina Strategy, beet pulp, and rice bran as my main ingredients. They get a couple POUNDS of this mixture EACH DAILY. They also get 5-6 pounds of HAY daily. I see what some other people feed their minis, and I think my horses would waste away if I gave them that little.

That said, I think each person has their own feeding program to tailor, depending on how much they work their horses, the size and metabolism of the horses, etc.

I just can't bring myself to buy it. It seems like a marketing ploy, and the product just does not sound like something that would work for me and my horses.

For someone who has a fat mini that doesn't work, and wants to feel good by being able to give their little guy a pound scoop of grain daily, I would recommend it. Some people have a desire to give their mini "goodies" even if the mini doesn't need it.

Andrea

i agree..that's one thing i'm a bit worried about..my mini's don't seem to be very easy keepers either and i wondered the same thing as you if it's just a watered down version that wouldn't work for horses that need more. My new stud is in a pen by himself and he paces constantly. I'm worried this stuff isn't going to cut it.. though i've heard some people say their sdo great on it. i've started giving him probably about 2.5lbs of it a day..i dont' want him to lose that's for sure! we'll see what happens when my 50lbs runs out i guess!

I had gone to one of their "discussion panels" when the company that makes it was first planning their advertising campaign and getting product ideas.

There were lots of people in there, from people who had pet minis to people who showed them.

To me, it just seemed like a marketing ploy. The makers of the product (Farnam?) were interested to see if we "miniature horse people" would buy a product "just for our horses" so we didn't need to use other stuff. They would make a "one size fits all grain."

The product is advertised as being for miniature horses "that are prone to obesity" and have "efficient digestive systems."

To me, it seems like I'd be buying watered-down grain that would make my minis think they were getting grain, but would not get fat on it.

Now, yes I would LOVE a simple feeding program. I am one of those people who feeds a million ingredients and supplements.

However, my minis are WORKED and generally except for one or two, are VERY HARD keepers. I seem to have a very hard time keeping weight on my minis. I feed Purina Strategy, beet pulp, and rice bran as my main ingredients. They get a couple POUNDS of this mixture EACH DAILY. They also get 5-6 pounds of HAY daily. I see what some other people feed their minis, and I think my horses would waste away if I gave them that little.

That said, I think each person has their own feeding program to tailor, depending on how much they work their horses, the size and metabolism of the horses, etc.

I just can't bring myself to buy it. It seems like a marketing ploy, and the product just does not sound like something that would work for me and my horses.

For someone who has a fat mini that doesn't work, and wants to feel good by being able to give their little guy a pound scoop of grain daily, I would recommend it. Some people have a desire to give their mini "goodies" even if the mini doesn't need it.

Those of you wanting coupons...

Farnam Rebate for Platform Feed

This link will take you to their website, there is a $4.00 rebate for Platform feed. It's better than nothing!

Andrea

I don't think it was just a marketing ploy -- they wanted to get input on what needs minis & ponies have that are different from their larger counter parts....and to simplify things so people don't have to buy so many different types of feeds and/or supplements.

Previously - I had been feeding Purina Strategy... plus oats.... plus Mare Power.... plus ground flax.

Now all I feed is Platform Mini & Pony. (except for old Vegas, age 26 and missing some teeth...he gets a mixture of half Platform & half Equine Sr.)

My horses have been on it for almost a year & a half since I was one of the test farms. The body quality on my horses has improved and I am feeding less than the recommended amounts.

I have 3 young stallions that are running together (ages 3, 2 and 1) and they run and play hard all day long - they are outside 24/7. Between all 3 - they get 1 1/2 pounds both AM and PM.... that's the total for all 3. For hay - they get approximately 3 pounds total both AM and PM. And they are in excellent condition. HARD muscles, very tucked up and ready to walk in the show ring. Excellent cover on their ribs, topline, shoulders. Bright, alert, and oh so full of snort.

The other key -- which should be a requirement for anyone owning horses no matter what your grain program -- is to make sure you are feeding top quality hay that is cut "young" and is highly palatable.

Disneyhorse,

I don't post on the forum very often, but I would like to give you my findings on the Platform feed. I was one of the very first feeders on the trial. In fact, the bay pinto on the bag is one of my stallions.

I, as you might know, have all-around performance horses. I ask a lot of my horses, and I too work them VERY hard in their trainning program. I am talking that it is not unsual for my horses to drive many MILES down the road, most of it at a huge ground covering trot. Not to mention their jumping and other training they also get. Before I was on the feed trial, my horses were feed Merit performance feed, beet pulp, alfalfa, BOSS as well as other additives. My performance "under" horses were getting anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds of grain a day, plus good bermuda hay and additional alfalfa hay. The Over horses got the same hay and 4 to 6 pounds of grain. My ponies stallion that are constantly on the move, breeding and training got 6 to 10 pounds of grain.

Now, they looked great and were very healthy on the old feed. I was approached to be on the trial and I was skeptical, but I gave it a try.

Now, my horses have been on the Platform feed since February 2006 and I couldn't be happier with the feed. I would have NEVER thought that my horses would look good on such a small amount of grain. Most of my show horses are getting about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of grain. Even horses that were needing several pounds to maintain they're weight. In fact, I had my over gelding and my over mare that used to get 6 pounds of grain a day down to 2 pounds at Nationals. That same gelding is now down to 1 1/2 pounds of grain as of now and is actually heavier than I want him for showing. I figure when we start picking up our driving around here (it's been really cold still) the extra weight will come off and I might have to increase his grain with increased activity. The other horses look great.

Now, I don't cheat the feed and use a bunch of different things with it. I only feed the Platform and good hay. I also limit their hay, they do not have it in front of them all the time. All my horses that are on the Platform feed have reduced the amount of grain that they need to keep them by at least half and often more than half of the old grain that I mixed. Their coats are better, they are retaining their color better thoughout the year and their attitudes are better. They are not so grumpy or grouchy with each other. And they have tons of "GO", all the stamina you could want, are bright and alert and totally fit.

The other thing I noticed, is that it did effect the "fat" storage on ALL my horses. I have a mare with a lovely neck that I never sweat, the Platform feed reduced fat storage on her neck that I really didn't think was there. Several of my show horses and MANY of my breeding stock lost "fat" storage places that they were carrying on the neck, withers, around the tail head and the chest and shoulders. It was very noticeable on broodmares than have been broodmares for years and have that little "extra" they can get. The only change in their world was the change of the grain. I didn't start working them, or sweating them, it just came off and the mares looked great.

And, again, my horses are worked hard. At 2006 Nationals, ALL of my halter/performance horses that I showed all TOP-TEN'd, Many TOP-FIVE's and one Res. Championed. So they had to have looked good and they had to have driven well. All on a fraction of the grain they used to get. I have some pictures of horse if you would like to see them I can tell you excatly how much grain they were getting at show time. (I just an not very good at posting them...)

So, that is what my horses had done on the Platform feed. I love results, love the way my horses look and lucky me....it is easy to feed and less work for me!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Hi dana,

Glad you posted that. It makes me feel better about trying this! I do mostly driving and i was concerned the work would be too much for the feed. I mean i'm still up in the air as far as how it will work for MY horses since i just started about a week ago..but it makes me feel BETTER about trying it. i've been feeding my pacing stud almost 3 lbs a day because i didn't want to "experiment" and have him lose weight..i'd rather him gain and have to cut back on the feed. My Candy Meadows stallion Fireball is only on 1/2 a quart (about 2 cups i'd say) because he's a bit of a chunky monkey this spring. those are the only two i'm trying it on right now and i'll go from there if i feel it seems to be showing good results.

Thanks again for posting!

Latest posts

Back