plastic door covers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what they are called, but has anyone ever used the plastic strips door coverings(like they use in warehouses on docks) that you can go through but keep the wind out? Would these work on a barn door, so horses could go in and out but keep out cold wind? If so, where would you purchase it, and how expensive is it? thanks

A friend of mine used them for her arabians. They worked well, but were expensive. Last year I found some fabric coated drop cloths at Lowes. They were about $20, and were about 15' long. I cut them to fit my doors, and they were great. They were light gray/white, so let in some light. One is still in place. Another lasted until a huge wind storm a couple of weeks ago, and it got caught on a fence post and acted like a sail and ripped. I've also used vinyl cloth from a fabric store.

I have seen these advertized on the internet. I believe in my farmtek catalogs. The online, www.farmtek.com is currently under going maintenance. I will look for my catalog, but keep trying the website, I'm sure they have what you're looking for.

Hi, I cant find my FarmTec catalog but I know they carry them. If I remeber correctly they are sold by the ft. and are pricey depending on how high you have to hang them. We use them on our big walk in freezers at the commisary to keep the cold in while the doors are open, they are clear and u can see right thru them. When we replaced them a few yrs. ago I brought them home and used in Skillets stall....thought it might keep out some of the rain ( we have crazy rain storms in Fla ) and I would be able to leave his door open and he could still go in and out. he hated them....but I know several people that do use them to help w/flys and like them.

You can google freezer curtain or plastic freezer stips and you'll get results. Ebay has them also.

Hi,

I have a set on my barn doors and love them. I rarely close the door unless a blizzard is expected ( they are on the south facing door) I had them from my husband's business when they tore down the building so I didn't have to purchase them.

One horse took a while to get use to them, but everyone else just figured it out.

Hello,

For years we have used old, heavy carpart. We do have a 1/2 door on the inside if it's just windy and keeps them from blowing in, but we also have full outside doors we close when it gets really, really windy and cold. When the carpert gets too nasty, we just take it down and put up a new one. There's always old carpert no one wants.

The horses love it. They can peek outside without getting the rest of their bodies wet.

Pam

Farmtek has this material in many widths/lengths. You can often call and get "remnants" from ends of rolls at a really good price. Its called "clear view vinyl strips". Catalog I'm looking at right now says --

remnants 24" W X 96" H, $4.80 each/$4.32 10 or more. Remember, the overlap when you figure size needs. They sell it in 54" width, also. This product is 12, 16 & 20 mil thick....it's heavy!

Just an idea of where you stand cost wise. The mounting door kit, if you want to use that, is about $66 per 8' strip. Personally, I'd probably hook it between boards, LOL.

Latest posts

Back