Pittsburgh PA area anyone???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2ridesaddleseat

Reaction score
There is a possibility hubby will be taking a job in Pittsburgh after the first of the year. I'm looking for rural areas where we can live and have the horses of course. I have no Idea where to look. I'm told, North of Pittsburgh would be the best bet? Is this right? Are there any shows, even just fun type ones anywhere near? Any info at all is so much appreciated!

Joyce

It's been five years since I moved from Pittsburgh to Texas, but when I was there we lived in Washington County (south of Pgh). If you choose Washington, Beaver or Butler counties they are all pretty rural. Allegheny has some places, but it's $$$$.

There is an AMHR show every May held by the North Allegheny Horsemans Association- very nice show! There was also several others held when we were there. (Meadville) Plus you are within three/four hours of the Ohio shows, which are also nice! And only three hours from ASPC Worlds/ QH Congress!

We didn't do many fun shows, again, the NAHA held some but I don't know if there were any Mini classes. Brushy Creek has some, and some others. We just did the rated Mini shows.

Lucy

Cranberry or Robinson...both are 20-30 mins from downtown so not a bad commute for your husband. Both still have some rural areas but also have just about anything you need for shopping/food, also horse friendly communities. I've been gone now for over 15 years. I grew up in Moon Twp/Beaver which also has lots of rural areas, but alittle further driving for the husband.

Lucy...I didn't know you lived in Pittsburgh...wow, small world.

Anyhow...good luck to you..you WILL have to be a steeler fan if you move there. They take thier football very serious...we are still die hard fans even though this year they were a major disappointment.

Both Cranberry and Robinson are VERY expensive (buying land-wise) but are VERY nice places to live- if you've been gone for 15 years you should SEE what happened to Cranberry!
default_new_shocked.gif
Talk about a population explosion! I used to board out there and it was rural from right outside of Wexford to about a mile beyond the I-79 interchange. Now, it's HOUSES and MALLS all the way from Wexford to almost Zelienopolis!

Robinson is the same- all that pretty land is now malls and business parks... *sigh* I used to work at a place on Thorn Run/Beaver roads in Moon Twp.

Once a Yinz-er always a Yinz-er!
default_laugh.png

Lucy

I live 45 minutes south of pittsburgh in Fayette county. Im actually on the border of Fayette, Washington, and Westmoreland county. It's a pretty nice area if you have horses. I would stay out of Allegheny county. My sister lives there because it was closer to her work (she worked in shadyside) however housing is VERY expencive. Apartments that are $450 in my area would be around $800 to $1000 in the city. Sales tax there is higher also. Ive looked into boarding my horses in that area, as I was considering renting my sisters rental house, but board down there generally runs $450 and up, where its $200 and up in my area, and its few places. In my area there are about 15 different boarding facilities within 30 minutes of me.

There are a good bit of AMHR shows within 5 hours of me, and I can find multiple open shows every weekend from April until October.

A safe bet would be Washington, Westmoreland, or the very end of Fayette county. Fayette is probably the cheapest to live in, but still nice. A bit more rural than the other two, but some parts are farther from pittsburgh. We're right on the border though, and we do save a lot in taxes.

We live 50 miles east of Pittsburgh at the base of the Laurel Mountains (Westmoreland County)and 8 miles to town being Latrobe, Greensburg, Ligonier and Mount Pleasant being in either direction. Fayette county would be your cheapest area for rural living for property and taxes, depending on how much acreage your looking for and he could get on the Pa turnpike or other routes for Pittsburgh depending on which part of the city for commute.

There are a few AMHR shows in the area of Pa, one usually held in the first Saturday in May at Valecia, not on the schedule as of yet, June there is a 2 day show in Meadville Pa, Bloomsburg is in July, Ohio State Fair July 20 thru 22 and there is to possibly be a 2 day ASPC/AMHR show at the Hookstown Fairgrounds that is in the workings. There are a few AMHR/ASPC shows in Ohio that are 3 to 6 hours away for us to travel.

There are no miniature fun shows held in the area, there was 2 shows held, one was the Butler Farm Show and the Westmoreland Fair show which we were in charge of totally and did put on the show for 6 years with offering some pretty good premiums (1300.00 plus merchandise) and had usually 55 to 87 horses attend and a carded AMHR judging the show as well with 30 classes being offered for both youth and adults.

This year we were not involved with being equine superintendents of the Fair and they didn't have anyone else to devote to put on the show, so they dropped the miniature show totally. Last week we had a call from the Fair President and Livestock superintendent asking us if we would hold a miniature show during the fair again for the 2010 season and we declined. Its just too much work and grief with no help with putting on the show, plus New York State Fair has a payback show for the AMHR miniatures and it runs the same time as Westmoreland's Fair so we will go there instead and have less headaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although we haven't lived there in 15 years, we still go back to visit a couple times a year...yes Robinson and Cranberry have grown an awful lot, but there are still rural places available...on the outskirts of Cranberry, there is Mars...still rural and not extremely expensive. on the outskirts of Robinson, head towards Washington...again still rural and not extremely expensive. I lived in Allegheny county for years...yes it can be expensive, but it depends on where you look. There is still descent priced properties and rural areas available there as well. Especially now...the Pittsburgh area has really suffered from the economic downfall this country has taken...there are good priced properties available everywhere if you look. Look for forclosures...I just bought a $125,000 house/property in Michigan on forclosure for a whoping $25,000 cash. Definately a buyers market out there, if you have the resources. I wouldn't rule out any area right now, you'd be amazed at what's out there when you start looking. Good luck to you...GO STEELERS! LOL

Latest posts

Back