Pit Bulls Kills Mini Horse Donated to Cancer-Stricken Child

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/14414675/detail.html?dl=headlineclick ://http://www.nbc5i.com/news/14414675/...headlineclick ://http://www.nbc5i.com/news/14414675/...headlineclick

Pit Bulls Kills Mini Horse Donated to Cancer-Stricken Child

I am calling the sherriff right now to see if I can get some contact information. I am SURE we can do something about this!

They are going to try and get me some contact information for the family. I would be concerned that you don't want a repeat of what just happened, but this poor little guy....

default_pray.gif
: for this poor boy and his loss :new_shocked:

OMG how awful!!! stupid loose dogs! we have the problem here also! im sending thoughts and prayers to that little boy!

IMO a pit bull and many other large breeds could go over a 4 1/2 foot fence with no trouble what so ever...silly people.

This comment is not intended to say that the owner of the horse should have higher fences, it's directed at the people that wrote the article , they seem to think a 4.5 foot fence should have been high enough to keep the dog out of the pasture

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry for the loss of the horse, but a taller fence should be used if they get another mini.I work in the animal field and Pit Bulls can jump/climb a 6ft fence, so can any large breed if determined.

This is horrible for this child and his family to go thru.

Not that it makes much of a difference in the end result but.. more often then not dogs are called "pits" and are really nothing of the sort. Many will call any large big headed dog a pit and in reality pits arent "large" dogs(compared to say Goldens, some labs ect) pits are not tall nor large (IMO) they are medium sized dogs

It is frustrating even our Animal Control here has a hard time deciding what is what breed - They got a call that 2 vicious pits were running down the street I called them and told them I had the dogs they wre not pits at all but st bernard mixes and not vicious at all either both friendly but ill mannered dogs. At least they sent a control officer out who knew the difference and said when he opend the door of his truck.. oh .. figures these arent pits at all.

Again I realize it doesnt change the horrible end result this family suffered as well as there pet the breed makes no difference

I'm sorry for the loss of the horse, but a taller fence should be used
I'm very sorry for their loss too, but I'm also positive that most of the people on this board probably do not have the type of fencing needed to keep out large dogs. Saying they should have used a higher fence is not fair, the fact is, the dogs (ANY dog) should not have been left to roam and it is the responsibility of a dog owner to controll his/her animal. Unless a person lives in an area with many loose dogs, I'm sure most people design their fences to keep their horses in, not to fence out every possible intruder.

IMO a pit bull and many other large breeds could go over a 4 1/2 foot fence with no trouble what so ever...silly people.

I'm sorry for the loss of the horse, but a taller fence should be used.I work in the animal field and Pit Bulls can jump/climb a 6 ft fence, so can any large breed if determined.
GOOD GRIEF GUYS!!! :new_shocked: :no: How many of YOU have six or seven foot fences to keep YOUR horses in?? The way I read it...the 41/2 foot fence was the pasture fence...not the one holding the dogs in. Did I read it wrong?
default_sad.png

I'm sorry for the loss of the horse, but a taller fence should be used.I work in the animal field and Pit Bulls can jump/climb a 6 ft fence, so can any large breed if determined.
GOOD GRIEF GUYS!!! :new_shocked: :no: How many of YOU have six or seven foot fences to keep YOUR horses in?? The way I read it...the 41/2 foot fence was the pasture fence...not the one holding the dogs in. Did I read it wrong?
default_sad.png
That's how I read it, too. I sure as heck don't have 6 or 7 ft. fences for my horses. I do have wire mesh that goes from top to bottom on my fences so that dogs and other critters can't get in. However, I know that coyotes can easily jump my fences as I'm sure could large dogs.

It's the DOGS that need the 7 ft. fencing (maybe with a roof) not the horse. Such a sad, sad story and I'm so sorry for all involved.

GOOD GRIEF BACK AT CHA .... I just said that because in the article they didn't know how the dogs got in .... afterall the have a 4.5 foot fence ....I NEVER SAID THEY SHOULD HAVE 7 FOOT FENCES....so get off your high horse how about it .

Why is it when pit bulls attack its always the victims fault. They should have had a higher fence. PLLLLLLease! The mini was on its own property. It was the dogs that were in the wrong place. When you take on the responsibility of a large, prone to be aggressive animal, that animal should be properly restrained at all times. Lets lay the blame where it belongs, with the owner of the dogs.

Why is it when pit bulls attack its always the victims fault.
One person says they should have higher fences ..... and that warrants a blanket statement like that ?? I've rarely heard of the victim being blamed in these instances , quite to the contrary in fact .

In some cases the dog is shot on the spot .... how is that "always blaming the victim" ?

GOOD GRIEF BACK AT CHA .... I just said that because in the article they didn't know how the dogs got in .... afterall the have a 4.5 foot fence ....I NEVER SAID THEY SHOULD HAVE 7 FOOT FENCES....so get off your high horse how about it .
IF you had taken the second to read my ENTIRE post properly...it wasn't you that I QUOTED, as saying they should have had 6 foot fences...so whose "high-horse" are we on NOW?? :bgrin :bgrin

Let's not get into a poop-trowing contest here...the fact remains...a child is without a beloved pet...because someone ELSE wasn't a responsible pet owner. I don't care if the dogs were Yorkies...they killed that poor little horse.

Just a girl, it wasn't you that the comment was directed at, but rather at the person who posted after you. I took your post exactly in the context you meant it. Please don't be so quick to take offense.

What a shame; I hope the little boy can get another horse and that the other dog will be caught .

What a shame, too, that anyone would even imply that the horse owner was at fault for not having a higher fence. One post outright said the fence should have been higher, the other could have been taken as implying that same thing...with the "silly people" added in there I did have to wonder about that one. Sorry, but some times it does help to think about how something might sound before actually saying it. Two posts out of the first seven...

In some cases the dog is shot on the spot .... how is that "always blaming the victim" ?
Yes, sometimes the dog is shot on the spot--and in those cases there's usually a big outcry that the dog shouldn't have been shot, that it deserved another chance, and yes, the real victim (horse owner) becomes the bad guy.
There's just been a case in Ontario where a farmer shot two golden retrievers that he caught running his cattle. He was perfectly within his rights to shoot the dogs, but some people are outraged that he did so.

Oh my, that is just so sad and wrong.. :no: That poor boy and his family.. Sending prayers for them
default_pray.gif
:

It is also sad how on every "big" post there is so much negativity :no: I am sure that minimini did not post this topic for the debate that it has started into..
default_poke.gif
:

minimini, I think it would be great to try to get something started to help this boy and his family out. There are enough"caring" people on this forum that would love to help them.. Please post any info if you are going to try to help..

I just heard the story on the news, and was going to post it.... and saw this thread already started.

Minimini, Thanks for posting. If you get further information, please let us know. I too think we should be able to take some positive action to assist.... I will try to contact the Make-A-Wish Foundation in Amarillo, and see what I can learn.

First off I meant to imply when they get another mini a slightly higher area would be better not 7 feet or more! Some of you have just blown this all out of porportion. And at no time did I say or imply that the dog owner was the victim that child and his horse are! IMO the dogs should both be euthanized and the owner fined, maybe the dog owner should be responsible for replacing the mini.

Lets all just consider the fence issue dead and get over it!

It seems to me that the only people who need to put up a high fence are the pit bull owners . . . . his is awful. And I know that some behaviors are instinctive or taught by stupid owners, but if a dog was attacking my horse, I would shoot it on the spot if I could, and I would not feel bad about it at all, nor would I feel bad for the owners. They should have kept their dog in their own yard. Behaviors like that don't go away, both dogs should be euthanized, without question.

Latest posts

Back