Pistol update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevycouple

Reaction score
I want to start my saying yet again. Thanks for everyone's input. Pistol is doing great but isn't finishing his grain now. He's eatting all his alfalfa and about half of his grain. I cut his grain in half already should I do it again since he's not finishing it? He's been getting turned out more again and usually runs three full laps in my 100x200 paddock then he's done. Anyway here are some new pictures. Please tell me what you think of his conformation if you can. The first one is of him loose and in the TALL weeds.

PICT0879.jpg

PICT0887.jpg

PICT0888.jpg

PICT0884.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
he looks very good to me in that picture. Looks like he could use some condition on him, but that takes a long time to build (muscle mostly) after being underweight even a little.

I would look into the teeth if he's not cleaning up feed. He looks like the right weight, would not increase anymore what you're giving, but I don't remember very well the details of Pistol's story, either.
default_smile.png

Anyway, check teeth (have a dentist look, too). A sharp point or two or hooks can cause a lot of chewing issues/pain.

Liz M.

He looks a lot better! If he were mine....I would cut back on the hay and leave the grain alone. Looks like he has a bit of a "hay belly" now. I can't remember how much feed you were giving him though.

I agree on cutting the hay back but leaveing the grain. He looks alot better but now needs to fill out over the top some more and in the neck. That will only come with grain.

Thanks again you guys. Right now he's getting half a scoop(the plastic ones you buy at the feed store) neutrena youth twice a day then one flake alfalfa twice a day.

I would agree to some extent on cutting the hay back. He is getting a belly there. How is his worming program?

If he is on a consistent worming program than I would expect its the hay. Alfalfa is probably the fattest types of hay there is. I would swith over to grass hay, or grass/alfalfa mix. Perhaps giving him one flake of hay like at night time, and not worry about anyother time.

I would also not change his grain. Watch him while he is eating. Does he look in pain when he is eating? Could be his teeth, when was he recently done? Or I've even experienced this myself, and not sure how much protein is in that grain, but I had a foal that was on 16% protein grain and he would eat it but then just would not eat, too much protein in his diet, and alfalfa has alot of protein as well.

Looks much better though :aktion033:

I would just like to say I think you have done a top class job with this colt, and you know enough to know you are about half way there.

It really would not be fair to him or you to critique him at this stage.

I think I would switch to grass hay, if you can get it, and leaver it where it is.

I think you do need to have his teeth checked, and I would also look at worming him with the Safeguard (fenbendazole ) five day course- again if you have already done it.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS you are doing a great job.!!

He looks so much better, good job! I agree on having his teeth check and not cutting back on his grain, maybe doing a fecal test to check for worms. Even on a regular worming schedule, they can still get some worms.

He looks so much better.

Thanks everyone....I say that so much I should just put that in my signature LOL. Anyway...I can get grass hay it's pricy but for only one yearling mini I don't think that will be a problem. Anyway y'all said that I should keep the grain the same amount. Since I already cut it to half a feed scoop from a full should I take it back up to a full since I'm gonna only give him grass hay at night? As for wormer...I just ordered Zimectrin Gold along with Probio's to be given on the 28th which is a week earlier than scheduled so I can get them on the odd month instead of the even months(Jan instead of Feb type of thing). I read somewhere that some people give the probio's after worming so I thought I would try it and it's cheap enough. I will make him an appointment to visit the vet for a fecal sample and to get his teeth check. Do you really think his teeth would need work since he's just a yearling? I will probably have blood drawn also just because. I usually do that in Feb-March when I get there shots done but I guess it wouldn't hurt anything but my pocket book LOL. I'm really enjoying this and it makes me want to foster rescue horses. I think this is one of my callings
default_wub.png
: Do you think he could just not like the grain? He had purina junior for a few weeks because I had 3 buy 1 get 1 free coupons. I slowly changed it but maybe he likes the junior feed. Thanks again!!!!!

Horses are funny, I have noticed in the past that most of mine do prefer the Junior to the Youth. So it could very well be that he dont like it.

I am guessing if he only gets hay at night he must be getting pasture as well?

Normally yearlings dont have teeth issues however he could. Some horses are just different and have issues earlier and need work. Typically you wont get charged for it if he dont need it.

No Ashley right now he's getting one flake of alfalfa twice a day plus his grain. Someone suggested I cut it to once a day and change to grass hay so I thought I would try it but wanted to see if I needed to up his grain back to what it was or leave it to the half scoop twice daily. We don't really have good pasture right now. I put a one strand hot wire up for a temp paddock to let the horses eat it down but he's not allowed in there becouse he jumps the fence. He get's turned out for a short amount of time in my 100X200 paddock that I just seeded so he can't stay out there that long for the new grass sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
First let me say that you have succeeded in helping this little horse look a LOT better-Congratulations on your dedication and willingness to do whatever needed to be done!

If it were me, to try to further 'fine tune' the program for him--- Yes,I would definitely have a knowledgable equine vet check his teeth-some miniatures DO seriously need teeth work, at a young age. Your proposal about worming sounds very reasonable, too-and the Probios IS a good idea, because it helps to replenish the vital-to-proper-digestion intestinal bacteria that horses so need for healthy digestive process to continue. I also agree that the blood work would be a good idea-let you know what is 'going on' INSIDE the horse, and what might need to be adjusted in either his health or nutritional program as a result.

I'm not familiar with the concentrated feed you mentioned, but I do know that Purina's "Equine Junior" is formulated for young stock, so it might be indeed be good to return to it. I would go online, or into the feed store, to read the product labels, to find out the various levels of protein, etc., in each feed, and also, the recommended feeding level,and whether it can be successfully 'prorated' for a miniature. Of course, any change would be VERY gradual, and then if the total amount seems too much(i.e., he is not cleaning it up at a feeding), then I would reduce it, but very gradually and by very small amounts at a time.

Good alfalfa can indeed be high in protein; it also is the most nutritionally complete HAY that can be fed(remember, I said GOOD alfalfa!) I would NOT feed first cut, as it is generally VERY 'rich', "dairy cow" hay.

I don't see much of a hay belly on the little horse, and, especially going into winter, I would be cautious about cutting back too far on hay(as the digestion of hay helps keep the body warm in cold temps.)If you can find QUALITY grass hay(which, this year in NM, has NOT been easy!), then yes, I would try gradually replacing 'some' of the alfalfa with that good grass-perhaps eventually going to a half and half proportion. Young horses DO need a higher protein level than older ones-and everything recent that I have read and heard about protein is that unless a horse has health issues with their kidneys, excess protein will just be excreted by the body in the urine. For a horse that NEEDS to improve in condition, good alfalfa, carefully utilized, can be of great benefit. You just have to remember that with alfalfa, you introduce/increase it VERY gradually and with care!

The right kind/amount of exercise to improve fitness can be difficult. I am a big believer in round corrals, IF big enough(a MINIMUM of 40' for miniatures)-but not really for young horses, of less than 2 1/2 years or so. Leading one at a good trot can help(I tie them, with a quick release knot of course!)to the back of my training cart when I drive another, solid driving horse. I have trotted them behind my garden tractor, even-and I know some use golf carts-or even your truck, IF you have an experienced helper and a safe dirt road. Being able to spend LONG hours out in the big 'turnout' would help, I think-horses WILL move around, even if just at the walk, if they have the space-and that kind of mild exercise is better than none, for sure--I am a BIG believer in horses having a roomy living space, not having to spend long hours in small stalls or tiny pens-don't think that an hour or so of 'turnout' or work daily is a good tradeoff for 22-23 hours spent in a stall/tiny pen, if there is any choice in the matter. Maybe put water out there for him, and let him stay out there during the day?

Just my thoughts--again, high regards to you for doing all you have to improve this little guy's life! Keep us posted-your experiences are a great example!

Best wishes!

Margo

Thanks alot Margo. I can get pretty good grass hay from the local feed store for I think about $15.00/bale and it has a good level of protine it's even to high a level for alpaca's.

WOW! he is filled out now that youve got the weight on him start feeding more grain and give hima little exccersize he looks to need some muscle in the hind end
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back