Pine Shavings or Wood shavings ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
Hi all, Ive been using wood shavings in my stall, but am wondering if the pine shavings eveyone refers to using are the same as the pine shavings sold at Walmart , or are they a different kind of pine? It would be cheaper to buy them at walmart for me verses the horse store. Thanks for your help!

Also, is dandruff a common fall problem in mini's? In the last couple weeks Ellie has had sudden drandruff pop up all over her....is this just the norm when the coat is growing and thickening up for winter? Ive also noticed "chuncks" or thick notches of skin on her - they feel like bug bites to the touch but upon close examination, it is just thick pieces of skin....is this the norm as well? Thanks again!

The stuff at wal mart is the same stuff as the feed store....but wal mart is way more expensive.

Just don't EVER use cedar shavings, it will eat/burn off a horse's feet.
new_shocked.gif

Pine shaving are way cheaper at our TSC. Not sure what kind of horse store you have, maybe you should double check prices and weight.

As for the skin problem. Has it been wet at your place. Had one with barn rot once, sounded just like this. Not that it is, but my case would have been described the exact same way. Some type of fungus. I'd have it checked and get it under control, because doing it later with this stuff is no fun to get rid of.

good luck, check with your vet.

Latest posts

Back