Pictures of my new mare Ruby

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarnessArtist

Reaction score
I'd like to introduce "Ruby" to you all! I've had her for just a little over two weeks now and couldnt be happier. It's so nice for Gypsy to have a friend her own size finally!

Ruby came to me from someone i know through work. Since arriving here she's been put into the Jenny Craig program and has already begun to slim down (she's lost some of her dimples) and has gone from somewhat dull to quite frisky. These photos are about a week old and she's also had a visit from the farrier since.

I would really like some opinions on what her colour is. The summer coat coming in is very dark, whereas the leftover winter coat is more sorrel. Also, is she flaxen or could she carry silver? She also has one partial blue eye.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think!

Michelle

Ruby1.jpg

Ruby2.jpg

Ruby3.jpg

Rubyeye.jpg

She looks silver bay, but she could be bay. What color are her parents?

Glad to see the farrier has been out-- those back pasterns need some help.

Alex
default_biggrin.png

Alex, both the back's and the front's needed alot of help. We're taking her down slowly to not hurt her further - farrier is returning again in 4 weeks. It will be a long term correction i'm afraid. She is already feeling better, and moving better. She was one very stiff little horse when she arrived.

I wondered about silver bay as well, but i'm just not sure. She has alot of long hair left on her from her winter coat and has been shedding out gradually. I'm trying to resist the urge to clip her to see what grows in. Her mane has white in it from the markings, but there are no markings large enough near her croup to turn her tail the colour that it is - hence my confusion.

Thanks for taking the time to respond
default_smile.png

edited to add : The elderly woman who sold her to me could not remember the names of her parents , only that her father was registered and her mother was not. So i have no papers on her and don't know the colours of her sire or dam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a regular chestnut to me.

a chestnut can carry silver but it doesn´t show, so you can only test for that if you really want to know.

(Or produce a silver foal from a black)

I think she is a sorrel pinto, and may carry silver as that doesn't show on red. I don't think she's silver bay. If she was, I think you'd see a smokey cast to her left hind leg that is colored.

Her markings are beautiful!

Thanks guys! The genetics of colour are incredible, there are so many combinations. No matter what colour she is i love her just the same
default_wub.png

Here are a few photos from this morning so you can see how her coat has changed in the week and a half since the last photos were taken.

Ruby6.jpg

Ruby5.jpg

Ruby4.jpg

WOW, she's really pretty. Her summer colours are beautiful. Love her white mane and tail.

Chestnut/sorrel pinto it is then!
default_biggrin.png
Obviously with a flaxen mane/tail LOL

Thanks Maplegum! Her summer colours are really coming through now that the last of her scruffy coat is letting go (ah the wonders of flax and BOSS)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out
default_smile.png

I think she's a cutie - my kinda color is what color she is:)!

But I do wonder about her weight - my computer did this thing that it sometimes does where it all of a sudden stops showing me anything with pictures - but if I recall, in that 2nd pic she actually looks kinda ribby? Maybe it was just the pics?

Hey Reijel, just the photos I can assure you! When she stepped off the trailer two weeks ago she had dimples and fat deposits all over her rump/neck/shoulders. These are thankfully smoothing out now that she is more active. I run my hands over her twice a day to ensure she doesnt lose too much too fast.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back