PICS & A Big Thank You

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenaroo

Reaction score
The construction of my new barn began last week. Thanks so much for the suggestions and ideas! It was a big help. After reading everyone's comments about flourscent lights, I've decided not to use them. Heck, I don't want to be stumbling around in there in the dark this winter because its too cold for flourscent lights come on. I thought the idea of having a separate switch for each stall light was great & I'm going to do it. One of the lights over the aisle will have a dimmer switch so I can turn it down low at night. There will be a dusk to dawn light over each slider as well as a light on the outside next to the service door. Even though the barn is on a hill, I double checked to make sure it'll have good drainage & it does.

Someone mentioned something about condensation collecting under the metal roof and dripping down on the horses. So I checked on it. Between the OSB board and the metal siding there is a vapor guard to eliminate that problem. Someone also said something about lightning striking metal pole barns. I checked on that, too. The building will be grounded. I don't think the county building inspector would have it any other way.

Here's some photos of the progress for five days work.

Barn_1.jpg

This is what it looked like before the work began.

Barn2.jpg

By the end of the first day the area was graded and the first load of gravel was added.

Barn_road.jpg

The crew even made a new gravel drive leading up the hill to the new barn.

Barn_3.jpg

By the end of the second day they set the posts and completed most of the framing.

Barn_4.jpg

During the third day's work they finished the framing, added more gravel and began installing the OSB board on the roof.

Barn_5.jpg

Yesterday they finished putting up the OSB board and began on the siding.

I think they're pouring the concrete next Monday or Tuesday. The electrician will be out then, too. I'm not sure what they're doing today. So I think I'll mosey up the hill and take a peek.

Looking good! Though in the future we may have to be careful offering suggestions on building barns etc.........you know, we don't have a contractors license.
wacko.gif

Looks great, and you are making fast progress! I won't tell you how long it took us to get to that point.....and we're still working on our barn
wacko.gif
Jan

Wow --- looks GREAT!!! coming along quickly!

Can't wait to see the finished pics!

JJay

ALL THAT in just FIVE DAYS!??? WOW it looks FANTASTIC!!! Congrats!!!

I'm pretty amazed myself at how much this construction crew has accomplished in a short amount of time. In the beginning when they told me they'd have it up in less than two weeks, I didn't quite believe them. Guess I was wrong. Of course, after they're finished I still have to build the stalls. Since I only have to have four of them, it shouldn't take me too long -- I hope.
wink.gif

I'm so jealous I can spit nails....
wink.gif
Look what you get in two weeks and here's poor little me going on two freggen years. Can I please borrow your guys cause Jerry's about half croaked ? He has not had one day off in years working 5 days a week and then 2 days a week on the barn. Send me those dudes you got there please! Tell them I"ll feed them very well. This looks fabulous to me. I'll be you are chopping at the bit like I am to get it done before winter kicks in. It's just so exciting.

Someone mentioned something about condensation collecting under the metal roof and dripping down on the horses. So I checked on it. Between the OSB board and the metal siding there is a vapor guard to eliminate that problem. Someone also said something about lightning striking metal pole barns. I checked on that, too. The building will be grounded. I don't think the county building inspector would have it any other way.

This was probably me and from my experiences from some of the barns I used to be in. The one I am using now in fact drips like pouring rain from the condensation of winter but with that vapor guard it should be no problem. The building will be grounded. Yep way to go. Bravo for you and your reseach to cover all these bases. It's going to be great.

Looking good! Though in the future we may have to be careful offering suggestions on building barns etc.........you know, we don't have a contractors license.

Boy now ain't that the truth! We all should proabably add disclaimers to our signatures I swear to Pete.

Heck Marty, Your barn is HUGE! There's a lot more to build and from the pictures you've posted, Jerry is doing a wonderful job. Gosh, you could probably put two of my little barns inside yours and still have room to spare. I'll be happy to send these guys down your way when they finish up here. A nice fringe benefit is these guys aren't bad looking I've found myself wandering up the hill quite a bit lately to check on the barn progress
wink.gif
I'm not going to have an upstairs area and I don't think my stalls are going to be as fancy as yours. Since I'm doing the stalls myself, I'm just aiming for safe and functional.

Yep, I am chomping at the bit to get it done before winter gets here. I don't ever, never want to go through another winter using these little horse sheds with three feet of snow on the ground. It was awful!

I've been researching this barn stuff for almost a year now. And I've read every post here about putting up a barn I could find, including all your posts. By far, the best information I've seen is from the folks here who have been there and done that.

.....................................................................................................................

I solemnly swear to hold no one responsible for my choosing to follow any suggestions or advice that I asked for in the first place.

sedeh said:
wacko.gif

476323[/snapback]

[SIZE=14pt]Susan,[/SIZE]

I had to laugh at this one because I am a LICENSED CONTRACTOR!
biggrin.gif

So ask away!
yes.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Got this one covered for ya!

Bill

Back