Perscriptions for our animals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, the steroid eye drop I use on my horse just went from $25 to $111. In one month. I contacted some vet catalogs and they are not carrying that drug, and many others now, because the cost skyrocketed.

I believe this is a result of Obamacare.

Anyone have suggestions? Haven't looked to see if I can order the product from outside the USA; I'd be uncomfortable ordering medicenes from a foreign country.

It isn't necessarily because of obamacare, eventhough I am not a fan. Much has to do with the company that makes it. My brother works for the CDC ,he is constantly telling those whom oversee monthly ordering to double check the prices since there are certain meds that will work equally well as other broad spectrum meds......example, doxycycline skyrocketed, I mean like more than 10xs the price, but one of the other high priced meds had dropped dramatically down to 1/5th the price due to patents expiring or some odd thing like that, the result, bypass the doxicycline and go with the other broad spectrum. I am sure anyone that has had a vet that has prescribed broad spectrum anti tics has either seen a jump in the cost of doxicycline or has had the vet prescribe something else.

Is there a generic human version of the med? I have had my vets call in a prescription to walmart for meds for my horses or cats. As long as there is a human equivalent you can usually get it at walmart. at $4 a prescription you can't beat that!

Is there a generic human version of the med? I have had my vets call in a prescription to walmart for meds for my horses or cats. As long as there is a human equivalent you can usually get it at walmart. at $4 a prescription you can't beat that!
This is the human version. I called Valley Vet and they carry the same product--or used to. They dropped it, and several other prescriptions due to the price increase. I'd have to have MY doctor prescribe it for ME to get the people price. I hate to ask a doctor to do something shady like that.

I would just explain that it was for the animal and that you can't afford to get it from a vet. I wouldn't have any problem doing that and I don't see why they would care.

Well, the steroid eye drop I use on my horse just went from $25 to $111. In one month. I contacted some vet catalogs and they are not carrying that drug, and many others now, because the cost skyrocketed.

I believe this is a result of Obamacare.

Anyone have suggestions? Haven't looked to see if I can order the product from outside the USA; I'd be uncomfortable ordering medicenes from a foreign country.
Prices started going way up over 10 years ago.

Many drug Companies and Vets have decided to make it more spendy and some drugs you can only get from Vets now. Like Bo-Se for those that have sheep and goats.

The changes in Pet meds, has nothing to do with Affordable Health care act for people. Big Pharm companies make their own rules....

NAIS... yes, they are still around, under a different name now.... State Vets, change rules with what happens with some drugs.

There are shortages in some drugs, like the tetracycline eye med for animals.

I use a combo of my Vet, KV Vet and ValleyVet supply for what ever I need. KV, can normally get some of the more odd meds for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many pharmacies also carry certain pet meds. Even with a script from a vet they may be able to fill it for you at a people pharmacy. As long as you dont try to use your insurance to pay for pet med I dont see what is wrong with it. My pharmacy filled my dog's seizure meds for years. A rite aid or cvs may be able to special order it if is still in production.

Have you tried 800PetMeds? I have to buy a medication for my cat from there. I get a 16oz bottle for $25, which is what my vet charges for 2oz.

My friend is an RN and has some rare disease and cannot get the meds here in the US as they don't make them. She gets them out of the country sent to her and has no problem with it. She told me a lot of people do it all the time that its no secret and not unusual at all.

As far as the other, my dog vet will absolutely not write me a RX for my dog because he sells all the meds there and says that's how he makes his money. I understand that. So for him to give me an RX to buy anything cheaper from a catalog, heart worm med or flea meds, anything, would be out of the question. That said, my puppy got a good case of pano this summer and Rimedyl was highly expensive, over $100.00 for what we needed and we needed a lot. My breeder told me what she uses and to ask my vet for an RX. He wouldn't do it because of course, he wanted me to purchase all her drugs from him. So when I went to see my Dr. she was more than happy to give me the rX for my dog. Cost at Walgreens, $4.00. It works very well too.

Marty I would look into the legality of your vet's policy. I''m pretty sure he is not allowed to force you to buy it from him. I got in an argument with my eye doctor over a similar situation. He wanted me to order contacts from him and he did not carry my brand. I called the state representitive and he told me that it was illegal to do that. I assume vets are a bit different and laws vary by state but I think his practice is a bit unethical for essentially monopolizing on the market.

I've thought about asking my Dr to prescribe it, but I think that would be insurance fraud. I might ask him next time I go and see what his thoughts are. It may be perfectly legal to do that.

Not sure how one would go about ordering a Rx from Mexico. The time may have come to look into it.

My opinion on asking my vet to order a Rx that he carries from some other company is that I want him to be on call and care about my animals, so I need to support him. The extra cost of Rx is the price to pay for that. Online vet suppliers won't come to my farm and see my animals when they need a vet. Since my vet does not carry many Rx, he has no problem prescribing for me; it is isn't a personal issue. JMO.

I tried KV and they are "out of stock" on the med I'm looking for. It shot up in price, so none of the online/catalog vet suppliers I've checked into are carrying it any more. It's possible the price may come back down one of these days, as Shari suggested.

Sara, have you tired ordering this drug from 800 PetMeds lately?

One holistic site suggested tumeric as a steroid. That is out of the question for eye use, of course. My immediate plan, while I figure out whether to continue the eye Rx, is to keep her eyes clean, use the Opcon A drop, and once a week, if I have to, I'll give her banamine.

My husband says I should go ahead and buy the Rx; lots to think about. Naturally, I'm concerned about the side effects of the steroid drop, so the timing is probably good to rethink this.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

Don't forget Costco, if that's an option where you live. Eye drops for one of the horses here come from Costco, as do his bute granules. He's an elderly TB with a few issues, and buying his meds from Costco has really saved his owner some money.

Does your vet have any alternative suggestions? Sometimes there are other options... but I'd be the last one to say that increasing healthcare costs are not a result of Obamacare. We're only seeing the barest tip of that unfortunate iceberg
default_sad.png

* IMO, as always.

Yes Jill I agree "only the tip of the iceberg"!!!!! The pharmaceutical companies are big business in this country. I just read an article where there were 7 drugs that did NOT publish the %s of side effects until they made enough money to pay for the research and enough to line their pockets!!!! These companies make billions every year with the backing of our government and now with the new "health care system" I think it will only get worse and we will see our prescriptions sky rocket not to mention our pet's meds!!!!!! So scary to think our government now can interfere with our health care, yikes!!!!!!!!!!

Back