pergolide

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attwoode

Reaction score
I'm getting a pergolide suspension from a compounding pharmacy in Fla for a Cushings mare. I'm curious what dosage you've used. I'm looking at .1ml/100lbs. Does that sound right? If you've used pergolide please share your experience and any side effects.

Vic, if you haven't seen this article regarding Pergolide, you might want to check it out Compounded Pergolide Comparisons

Probably for the reasons discussed in this article, I didn't find Pergolide to make any difference on a Cushings mare of mine. But perhaps in a different form (I had liquid) and compounded by a different pharmacy, it might be more effective.

Vic, if you haven't seen this article regarding Pergolide, you might want to check it out Compounded Pergolide Comparisons

Probably for the reasons discussed in this article, I didn't find Pergolide to make any difference on a Cushings mare of mine. But perhaps in a different form (I had liquid) and compounded by a different pharmacy, it might be more effective.
Hi Becky! Thanks for the article. I've read that insulin resistance can be mistaken for cushings and does not respond to medication. Did you find any other medication for her?

I use the powder for my pony mare, and she has had remarkable changes on Pergolide, the extra fat pads just melted away, and she looks so much better! Not sure about the dosage on the liquid, the pony at work gets 1ml of liquid suspension, and he has to be around 400-500lbs.

Cushings and IR go hand in hand in most cases, but you can have an IR only horse. My pony mare is both Cushings & Insulin Resistant.

I use the powder for my pony mare, and she has had remarkable changes on Pergolide, the extra fat pads just melted away, and she looks so much better! Not sure about the dosage on the liquid, the pony at work gets 1ml of liquid suspension, and he has to be around 400-500lbs.

Cushings and IR go hand in hand in most cases, but you can have an IR only horse. My pony mare is both Cushings & Insulin Resistant.
Unfortunately the quality of any compounded drug can be variable (some more than others). The rule for Vets is supposed to be we never compound a drug if an FDA approved drug is available. I use pergolide from the human pharmacy in pill form. Little pain to grind the pill daily, but quality is consistent.

Dose is a little odd for this Rx as almost regardless of size of the pony we start at 1mg/day and see results, many over time can do well on 0.5mg/day. The good news is the drug has almost no bad side effects.

Also, I would encourage trying to diagnose the condition through bloodwork rather than just treating signs.

Dr Taylor

Sorry, grabbed the wrong 'reply', meant to reply to attwoode.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back