Pasture problem - question about slobbers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
We have a lot of clover in our pasture. Always have and until this year it has caused no real problem. (I'm assuming that my problem stems from the clover)

My old gelding got the slobbers really Really bad in Sept. Since I was headed to Nationals, I just pulled everyone off pasture and he stayed off while we were gone. Slobbers fixed!

NO

I started them back on pasture in early October after we'd had a frost, thinking that my clover (or whatever) trouble might be over. Again he started dripping and foaming and I'm not positive but my mare looked a little like she might have had some foam. Until now no one else had been bothered.

I've tried to research slobbers but all I can find is "it's usually from a mold on a red clover." Nothing about what to do; except take them off the pasture.

I'm wondering if anyone knows more. It's too late in the season (already cold - sometimes freezing at night here in Wisconsin) to try to kill the clover. How long to I have to wait before I can turn them out again. Does this mold cause any other problems. Is it bad for their digestion or anything???

Right now they are stuck in dry lots and not getting much exercise.

to my knowledge, its caused by the clover as you said. And their isnt anything to do except limit time on the field or take them off.

This has been discussed on here before so you might want to do a forum search. When it happened to my big horse my vet told me there was no danger as long as they stay hydrated. My horse would drool PUDDLES!!

Yep, the only one that was greatly affected was my old man (24 - not inches, years). He was drooling buckets. The stall was wet. Outside the stall there were several pools of water and my hubby was really worried. I told him it was basicly nothing but then I got to wondering if it was mold, would it affect the others in some way and they just weren't drooling yet.

I'd like to start them back out on pastsure for exercise but I don't know if I should.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wont hurt them. We see it every year, certian times of the year or certian hay. I say turn them back out.

Just a caution, I have seen affected animals drool so much they became dehydrated and had to be put on IVs....if the old guy is having that much trouble I would consult a vet before putting him back out.

Latest posts

Back