pasture grouth?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I have 4 pastures and 6 minis + 1 foal and was wondering what is the fastest way to get a pasture to grow again? 3 of the 4 pastures are bare, I have 4 minis + foal in one, and 2 in another while everyone is bred or being bred, so that frees up 2 pastures now. Do I throw pasture mix seed down and water or is there a seed that grows faster than pasture mix? Whats the trick?

Thanks!

I just went through this myself. I couldn't stand all the moss and cedar saplings growing in my one acre paddock so I got to work. I got rid of all the cedar saplings, borrowed a disc harrow from a new friend, hooked the disc harrow up to an ATV and disc'd the paddock like crazy. Then I limed the whole thing with peletized lime. Then I dragged it to level the whole thing out. Then I bought a 50 lbs bag of Barenbrug Horsemaster Pasture Mix ($129.99) and spread that. Dragged the paddock again and then rolled the whole thing to make sure the seed wouldn't wash away too easily from all the rain we have been having. Needless to say, I have become an avid ATV rider/driver from all of this. It is a lot of work, but the Barenbrug has a great reputation and everyone I spoke to about it says it is the best. So I will see what comes up in about 10 - 14 days. I'll let you know. Good luck!!!!

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

I was actually doing some reading as I have 5 horses and only 2 large paddocks. I read that you should put them out when the grass is at least 6" and take them off it when it gets to 3". Then mow the entire thing and pick up or rake out the manuer. When the grass gets eaten down, it slows the growth process of the grass. But at the right length and a clean mow over its suppose to incourage growth. Once the barn is built I plan on cutting paddocks down into more smaller ones and adding a new paddock. So I'm hopeing to try this out myself.

My only advice is rotate, rotate, rotate. I never let a pasture get chewed right down, I move my horses as soon as the majority of the grass is eaten down to an inch or 2 and just keep at that all summer. How long a group can stay on any one pasture will depend on the size of the pasture, the number of horses, the weather and the terrain in that particular pasture. My pastures vary in size from 1/4 acre to about 3 acres and my horses are only on grass for about 3 hours a day in 2 feedings. The rest of the time they spend in their dry lots. So my advice to greening up a pasture would be to rotate the horses off of it before they chew it down too far.

Latest posts

Back