Pannus in German Shepherd - anybody had it before?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
My rescue Shepherd Duke has developed red spots on both eyeballs.Vet trip yesterday determined that it is Pannus-no cure just treatments to keep it under control and not cause blindness.Drops in both eyes twice daily for a while then once daily for lifetime.Very common in GSD. He is a farm dog and after reading on internet suggestion is to keep out of bright sunlight-UV rays can intensify problem.Anybody with experience with this and how do you deal with it?this dog is my money pit and my lesson in patience.He does like like to be restrained and wiggles lots.It is a challenge to get the drops in both eyes and me with a hand tremor.Karl asked me last night since I have all these animals with special needs(cancer horse,white line horse, Cushings horses, Pannus dog) is he special needs too since he has some health issues.Since I have health issues also am thinking of changing farm name to Bev's Special Needs Farm.

Boy are you a blessing for all these animals, huge Kuddos for what you are doing to help them live a happy life...Bev's Special Needs Farm is perfect!!

Always had GSD but with all the medical things that Ive heard w/this breed never heard that Pannus is common...most likely b/c we've never had it here. Im interrested to see if anyone else has experienced it w/GSD or any other breed. Im trying to imagine a fly mask for dogs...not for flies per say but just for the shade it would provide over the eyes...at least it might help w/the bright light when hes out doors. As far as restraining him for the drops and will your hand I dont have any suggestions either...even w/2 good hands I was never very good with drops. I'll be watching this thread but want to add again how great you are!!

I was trying to picture a fly mask for dogs, too, not quite sure how that would work, but I bet it would be easier to make for a German Shepard than a tiny pug faced dog. [if you do decide to look into fly masks, I do know of someone that makes blankets, sheets, fly masks and etc; she might be able to make a fly mask for dog. She custom sized a fly mask for my tiny stallion, as her smallest mask was still too big for his little head.] And, a catalog like Drs Foster and Smith, might have something like that.

They do make sun glasses/goggles for dogs.Just not sure how my dog who hates even a muzzle would take to those.He is a real challenge, but really loves me.I am going to have another knee replaced in Sept and can't be around him for 4 weeks or more since he is a leaner and kind of clutzy.Last year during surgery he stayed outside in the kennel.He may have to stay in an inside pen in the kennel during the day and in the outside run at night.Hopefully I can get Karl to do his drops, but Karl is VERY short on patience sometimes. I will figure this out-I always do-it sometimes just takes me a while.At least by Sept it will be only 1 time daily for drops if all goes well.

took Duke last Th to vet and got the drops and we are doing well.1 small problem, with my shaky hand and his wiggly head it takes us a long time to get the drops in each eye twice daily and we miss a lot.Got it on his nose,his muzzle,my shirt, around the eyes,the floor and lots of other places.Got 2 more bottles today just in case.Got to do twice daily for 3 weeks then once daily and go get checked.I can do this.

My parents bred working line shepherds for years, and never had an issue. When they got out of big dogs (after my mom was in an accident, and lifting the big dogs was just out of the question) I got a dog from another breeder, who developed Pannus when she was 6. She got the eye drops twice a day, and anytime she was outside she wore Doggles. It was a hassle at first, eye drops used to take two people and she hated the doggles. Eventually, with lots of praise and a treat after each eye drop, we got to a point that she would sit and let me put each drop in, waiting for her treats, and she did get used to the doggles, though she didnt wear them constantly, just out on walks and when I would have her outside in the yard with me. Sunlight is terrible for pannus, can you move him inside and use doggles when you take him out? Even inside the barn would be better than outside.

Getting drops in Duke's eyes is getting easier.I sit on the couch and he comes over to get lovings with his head in my lap.There are times I can even do it with my shaky hand . I'm really right handed but several years ago I learned to do some things with my left hand.I went to 2 different neurologists for tremor in right hand.Drug side effects were worse than the tremor(still had it even with the drugs)Stopped the drugs,learned to write with my left hand and live with the tremor.This eye drop thing is a challenge, but I'm getting it done.Duke is getting better about it so that makes life easier.This morning I got 1 drop in each eye on the first try and none on his face or on me.

Back