Pads and Boots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope I can describe this right. I am needing to find a place to order some padding that goes on the chest piece of the harness and also for the saddle part. I am also in need of boots to protect my mini's hooves. I have a lot of gravel to have to cart on and last summer it was harsh on my mini's hooves. Any help would be appriciated ! Also, I havent carted my mini since December. How do I introduce him to it again ? He is going on 3 years old, and I just taught him to cart last summer. He got a lot of miles on then, but not much since winter.

Iowa Valley Carriage has some waffle pads that go under the breastcollar and saddle. I prefer basic black for a black harness, vs. some goofy looking color that screams, "I'm a saddle pad!"
new_shocked.gif
laugh.gif

If you taught him to drive, then you just need to go back a few steps to introduce it again. Long line the horse in the harness, bridle and longe lines; line drive some. If he seems to take to that OK (is relaxed, softly mouthing the bit, not overly fired up, etc.), then bring the cart out and "play" with it, just like you did when you trained him. If that goes OK, then have a helper help you put him to in an enclosed area (not a big field). So basically, just pretend he has never had anything done with him, and only go as fast as HE says. Don't move on to the next step unless he is taking the previous step OK. This may take an hour, or it may take a couple of days. It just depends on how well he took to it before, and what he remembers. If his memory includes something bad that happened to him, it may take quite a bit longer.

This is also how you should re-start a horse that is supposedly broke to drive, but you haven't witnessed it, like if you were buying one. I will never get into a cart that I haven't seen the owner drive the horse first.

Can't help you with the boots. We have cannon bone boots that we got from Iowa Valley Carriage, but not slip over boots.

Myrna

Latest posts

Back