Overo Pattern Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about overo horses so if this sounds stupid, excuse my ignorance in advance.

I have a First Knight Billy Idol colt. His dam is by Champion Farms Nighthawk. She is LWO. Now, my question is can my colt throw color? Should I have him tested and if so what would I test for?
default_wacko.png
Either way it doesn't matter but I am just curious. If anyone can help I'd surely appreciate it!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If the dam is LW positive she "could" have passed that to her son. IMO it would be worth testing especially if you have LW mares that you want to breed him to.

If you post a picture sometimes you can tell pretty well what pinto genes they are carrying but looking at them

Kay

Since his dam is LWO it is possible he is too--there's a 50/50 chance that she passed the LWO gene on to him. Because it is possible he is LWO, he should be tested unless you are going to breed him only to mares that have been tested negative for LWO. If his test comes back negative then you know it's safe to breed him to any mares you choose...but if he is positive then you will have to test all mares prior to breeding them to him. Even horses that appear "solid" may be carrying LWO...

Really, it has nothing to do with which "bloodlines" he comes from, no one line is any more prepotent for pattern (not colour, BTW) than any other.

If he is LWO+ then he has a 50/50 chance of throwing pattern, but your best chance is to put him to loud patterned, LWO- mares, as the more patterns you have present the better your chances of getting a patterned foal.

As he has the white star he is obviously carrying one or another of the patterns Splash, Sabino or Frame.

Tobiano is not known to cause face white.

He is a pretty colt, whatever his pattern!!

But I really would get him tested.

How does everyone know for sure tobiano does not cause white face markings? Is there a test for it? Where do you get this info from? Thanks!

How does everyone know for sure tobiano does not cause white face markings? Is there a test for it? Where do you get this info from? Thanks!
There is no written "proof" of this fact.....other than advice from long-time experienced breeders. It is widely accepted that Tobiano does not cause facial white.....simply because Tobianos that DO have facial white have been proven to be carrying another "overo" pattern....which IS causing it.

For instance....we all know there are many "solid" looking horses that may have nothing more than a single star....who have tested positive for LWO (Frame).

The Frame gene (or any other overo gene) can manifest itself by nothing more than some facial white onto a Tobiano's solid head the same way.

For years...even Pinto breeders thought facial white was common on Tobianos. With new testing of most of the pinto genes...people are becoming more enlightened, and realize that facial white is actually caused by some other pattern.

All one needs to do is to "test" a Tobiano who has facial white, for other patterns. Unfortunately Frame & Sabino are the only ones you can test for , as there is no test for Splash yet....and Sabino test only tests for one of the many Sabino genes. Once we have tests for all of these....I think there will be no doubt left that Tobianos with facial white is carrying other patterns.

Thank you everybody for your responses. I will test for LWO but am wondering if I should test for anything else. Which lab do you recommend? I was thinking about using Animal Genetics.

Again, any input is greatly appreciated.
default_yes.gif

You know he carries the cream and agouti genes as he is a buckskin.

If neither parent is red you could test for red factor. Otherwise I can see no other test besides LWO that makes sense.

Animal Genetics is great and fast.

Latest posts

Back