Our Third Carnival Cruise!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I am a MAJOR fan of going on vacations and let me say this for sure, I am definately a beach & hot weather person for sure. Hate the cold, snow, etc. so tropical places are the "it" for me. Plus, who doesn't love exotic new places? My most favorite place to be though isn't tropical but to me it is a paradise all it's own - Tybee Island, Georiga. So back in 2008 when I got the opportunity to go on my first cruise with my "boyfriend" (now husband) at the time on our senior spring break, I jumped at the thought of traveling far far away! I thought I would be fine on the ship because I grew up on boats but BOY WAS I WRONG. I got terribly sea-sick but thanks to Dramamine the whole cruise (which doesn't have any side effects for me) I am a happy cruiser!

In 2008 we traveled on our first Carnival Cruise to Key West & Nassau on a 5 day voyage. That cruise changed my life as my "boyfriend" at the time proposed to me while on a "Swimming with the Stingrays" excursion (ps: I love stingrays!) and of course I said yes. Then in 2010, we went on our second Carnival Cruise to Grand Caymans, Isle Roatan, Cozumel & Belize on a 7 day voyage to celebrate none other than our honeymoon! Yep, we were engaged for over two years before getting married & going on our next cruise - we missed it terribly!

Our parents are going to be celebrating their 30th year of marriage in April and to celebrate, all four of us are going on none other than another Carnival Cruise! We are not able to go in April due to my mother changing jobs and not having enough vacation time so. . . .we are going to celebrate TWO anniversaries at once! Their 30th & our 1st anniversary (9/14) will be celebrated on a cruise that we will be on from September 25 through October 2 and we will be staying in Miami again, at the very same hotel from our honeymoon September 24th before our cruise departs. We will be leaving from the Port of Miami and will be going to Half Moon Cay, San Juan, Grand Turk & St. Thomas!

It is a 12 hour drive from our home to Miami - a long drive, but with me being one who gets car sick if i'm not driving - I LOVE TO DRIVE
default_laugh.png
It's a beautiful drive through SC, GA & FL and I love to see it, I practically love I-95 since it is the same highway that gets me to Savannah & Tybee Island!

So tell, me have any of yall been on cruises, especially Carnival - and tell me all your stories!!

IS ANYONE FROM LIL BEGINNINGS GOING ON THE SAME CRUISE??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going on the same cruise, but I'm going on my FIRST cruise on 8/20!! Leaving Galveston, on the Carnival Ecstasy, for Progreso and Cozumel Mexico! I can't freaking wait. If you haven't ever found this site, I highly recommend Cruise Critic It has all kinds of great information for cruising. Make sure to check out the message board.
default_aktion033.gif

We love cruises. We went on one for our honeymoon in 2000 to Alaska. It was great. We were supposed to go on another one for our 10 year anniversary but with health problems in the family and all our animals we didn't get to. I so want to go on another one. I'd love to cruise Hawaii.

Have fun!

I'm not going on the same cruise, but I'm going on my FIRST cruise on 8/20!! Leaving Galveston, on the Carnival Ecstasy, for Progreso and Cozumel Mexico! I can't freaking wait. If you haven't ever found this site, I highly recommend Cruise Critic It has all kinds of great information for cruising. Make sure to check out the message board.
CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST CRUISE - you will love it but be sure to take some Dramamine just to be sure! Cozumel was a beautiful place and it is GREAT for shopping because you can "barter" with the sales people there on just about everything! I got a $175 ring for $59 - not bad at all!!

We love cruises. We went on one for our honeymoon in 2000 to Alaska. It was great. We were supposed to go on another one for our 10 year anniversary but with health problems in the family and all our animals we didn't get to. I so want to go on another one. I'd love to cruise Hawaii.
My father wants to go to Alaska but I believe that will be one cruise I won't be attending because I'd never go outside LOL!!

My first (and only) cruise so far was in May 1985 on my honeymoon with my now ex-husband. We went on a Mexican cruise to Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan on Carnival. I LOVED it!!

I have wanted to go on another cruise since then, but just have not done it for various reasons. I am HOPING my next cruise will be to Alaska, since that seems like an awesome way to see the state/scenery there.

Since I live in Florida, it makes things quite easy to cruise, since many cruises leave from here. There is one to Western Caribbean that leaves from Tampa (45 min away from me), but the timing wasn't right financially to go on that one.

Someday again....
default_yes.gif

I'm jealous
sad.gif
My husband promised me trips all over the world when he retired. We even get to fly for free space available

from military base to military base. Now he is in his JR year at the university, this summer he'll be gone doing his apprenticeship.

When he started college all our travel plans went out the window.

I'll be alone all summer. maybe I should book a cruise, but would it be fun going all alone
unsure.gif

Maybe we need a LB womens cruise get together
aktion033.gif

My first (and only) cruise so far was in May 1985 on my honeymoon with my now ex-husband. We went on a Mexican cruise to Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan on Carnival. I LOVED it!!
I have wanted to go on another cruise since then, but just have not done it for various reasons. I am HOPING my next cruise will be to Alaska, since that seems like an awesome way to see the state/scenery there.

Since I live in Florida, it makes things quite easy to cruise, since many cruises leave from here. There is one to Western Caribbean that leaves from Tampa (45 min away from me), but the timing wasn't right financially to go on that one.

Someday again....

I only WISH we lived close enough to cut out the 12 hour drive (not including any stops!!)

I'm jealous My husband promised me trips all over the world when he retired. We even get to fly for free space availablefrom military base to military base. Now he is in his JR year at the university, this summer he'll be gone doing his apprenticeship.

I'll be alone all summer. maybe I should book a cruise, but would it be fun going all alone

I AGREE! We need to all get together and have a "Miniature Horse Fans" cruise! How neat would that be? And yes, I know several people who "cruise alone" or just take a friend with them. There are TONS of things to get into on the ship - something is ALWAYS going on including a spa! Cruising is as relaxing or as fast paced as you like it and that's what I love about it. Someone else worries about getting me there while I just sit back, swim in the pool, eat myself into a bigger pants size (lol) and find neat things to do!

I'm jealous
sad.gif
My husband promised me trips all over the world when he retired. We even get to fly for free space available

from military base to military base. Now he is in his JR year at the university, this summer he'll be gone doing his apprenticeship.

unsure.gif

aktion033.gif
Grand Ma C, I am retired too and never been on a cruise. Hubby and I were going to take one in 1985 and then he lost his job and with kids to take care of that thought went out the window. Never been on a cruise how sad is that!
default_no.gif
I would love to get a lilbeginnings cruise going! We could get a group discount.
default_aktion033.gif

Pre horses we went on a cruise at least once a month and sometimes twice a month when we first moved to Fla. In the off season pretty much all the cruise lines out of miami would have Florida resident cruise specials for about 110.00 PP 3 day cruise...sometimes we wouldnt even leave the ship and go to port or take an excursion or purchase the photos b/c those are the things that add up $ wise. It was cheaper than going to a hotel. All meals most entertainment, we dont drink very much,we wouldnt go to the captains dinner so didnt need any fancy clothes.....to us,it was really a very cost effective fun little week end getaway!Im sure the cruise lines hated us b/c we were so darn cheapo/thrifty!! We have done one 14 day cruise but that was really alittle too long and it was a maiden voyage so we would never do that again.....very crowded!

Linda, keep an eye out starting in March....there really are some awesome deals out there if you live in Fl.

Actually, I've been told to not expect to be able to haggle in Coz. Its pretty commercialized and the air condition shops on the pier are not going to budge. One of the reasons we'll do our shopping in Progreso. A lot more street vendors who are more likely to haggle to make a sale. We'll be too busy snorkeling and enjoying the beach in Coz to buy to much except maybe some vanilla.

Ok who owns this site and how can we try to see if we can organize a LB cruise maybe in 2012?

I mean if enough of us want it, maybe we can find a way to inquire?

I guess first we'd need to post to see how many would seriously consider it?

Then a post voting where and east coast or west coast.

When we got that all figured out maybe approach a travel agent or contact a cruise line direct to see what kind of rate we can get?

I imagine it would have to be early before show season or late after nationals?

Wat do you all think? 2012 would give many of us time to save, prepare, get farm help.

Would we do a 3 or a 5 day?

Sami Scheuring from Sami's Lil Horse Ranch in Petaluma, CA organizes cruises for the mini folks each year - I think that she is in the middle of an Alaska cruise for this summer and just got done with one in the Carribean -- she has done other neat stuff as well as in Egypt tours, etc -- and yes, it is miniature horse people!

COOL! But if there is an Alaskan cruise this summer that leaves me out.

My husband will be away most of the summer doing his apprenticeship for his major (required during the Jr. 3rd yr) and

except for limited shows and business, between my dog rescue, work and the mini's I'll be home bound.

Unless (light bulb moment) I can get my daughter-in-law and the grandkids to watch the minis, dogs and place for a week.
aktion033.gif

Actually, I've been told to not expect to be able to haggle in Coz. Its pretty commercialized and the air condition shops on the pier are not going to budge. One of the reasons we'll do our shopping in Progreso. A lot more street vendors who are more likely to haggle to make a sale. We'll be too busy snorkeling and enjoying the beach in Coz to buy to much except maybe some vanilla.
I WAS TOLD THAT TOO! Suprisingly enough, they were very wrong! If you go to the "non commercialized" shops (PS there is a GREAT leather shop right as you get off the ship, saddles, boots, jackets, rugs, blankets, etc.) and you can find HUGE deals. Oh and don't shop at DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL - it's co-owned by cruise lines and they get a portion which is why they always advertise it so much. PLUS - they gift out free "gifts". . .i like the bracelets and charms (I'm collecting them" but their earrings are cheap, turn green and they are very cheap and hurt your ears. 

We live in Texas & cruise out of Galveston about every 6 months. Our next cruise is next month on Carnival Conquest. We were on the 5 day to Progresso & cozumel in Sept. We loved Progresso, because it has not been a port very long, the people are sooo friendly & the prices soo cheap! We have been to Cozumel about 9 times now, we always enjoy it, have done just about every shore excursion there is. The ruins are great,but be prepared for a long drive.The shopping area right at port is not the place to get the best deals, take a taxi downtown. We have been to Roatan, Grand Caymans, Jamica ( hate hate jamica, have learned to do only the snorkeling tours, we just never feel safe there, it can be a very dangerous place). If anyone has questions, would be happy to answer, just email me. We prefer Royal Caribbean, but face it, Carnival is much cheaper. Dont care for 4-5 day cruises at all, they would be ok for a first timer, but once you have been on the 7 day cruise, the 4-5 day cruise boats seem cramped & boring. Highly recommend cruises as a relaxing fun economical vacation if you live close to a port city. We are planning on flying to Puerto Rico next July & taking the 7 day southern Caribbean, it has a port of call almost every day! has anyone done this one?

Debbie

[email protected]

Back