Our "Mini Van"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know I always have to speak my mind
default_smile.png
I do not think these are safe for the horses or humans. Just not enough head room and if you get rear ended there would be major issues for both the horses and the person driving.

Most accidents are close to home so I am not sure its safe even for short trips.

If I get rear ended in a horse trailer probably not much will happen to the horses, I will just have a damaged trailer.

I dont think larger cargo vans are as dangerous as they have good head room etc and I have seen those built into trailers work really well but they put in a steel wall divider.

kaykay said:
If I get rear ended in a horse trailer probably not much will happen to the horses, I will just have a damaged trailer. ...

I dont think larger cargo vans are as dangerous as they have good head room etc and I have seen those built into trailers work really well but they put in a steel wall divider.
Having had an accident with a horse trailer, I can tell you it's thoroughly terrifying and my horse was extremely upset by being by himself with no one he trusted to comfort him. The back of the trailer was damaged so I couldn't get the door open and had to crawl in a window to check him for injuries!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm not sure being rear-ended with a trailer wouldn't cause jack-knifing or other severe problems. I think I'd vote for avoiding accidents completely if I could!
default_saludando.gif

I agree with you though if you're talking a minivan with the horses right over the rear bumper. That does not strike me as either safe or comfortable. I would ONLY haul them in a large cargo van, and the equipment would go in the back with the horses in the middle to keep them as safe as possible. I don't think that's any more risky than a full-sized horse in a full-sized horse trailer- the head room and proximity to metal that could crumple in an accident is about the same. All that extra room in a full-sized trailer has its own dangers for the little guys; what if the rig flipped over? They could break a leg or snap their necks being thrown to the roof or dangling from a halter.
default_no.gif
This almost happened to us so I've had lots of time to think about how bad it could have been.

Leia

Back