OUR "07" OVERO/DUN ??? COLT? UPDATED PHOTOS..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaazeMinis

Reaction score
Haaze Miniatures of Auburndale ,Wisconsin
Hi

Here is our little colt who was born January 7th 2007. He is currently just under 17" tall. can anyone tell me if he looks Overo..
default_unsure.png
: We are having him tested just to be sure.
default_yes.gif
: Wiil be pulling tail hairs tonight to send in.
default_smile.png
I will let everyone know what the test results are on the LWO and WISH there were a Dun factor.

Just wanted opinions since I have never had a Frame Overo without a Huge Blaze?
default_unsure.png
: He does have 2 Blue Eyes still, although one is Darker Blue now.

May be carrying the Dun Factor as well???
default_unsure.png
: He does have a very dark Dorsal Stripe even under his foal coat it is very prominent and I see evidence of other barring coming in. Since his sire is believed to carry the Dun Factor one can only assume that this is not counter shading??
default_unsure.png
: But I guess we will wait and see..
default_wink.png
:

Anyone want to way in on this...I would like to register him with his proper color the first time around... :lol:

He is 10 days old when the photos were taken Wednesday evening. :bgrin

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I guess I better get my Website UPDATED AGAIN!! :new_shocked: Poor Linda will be busy with all my updates!! :bgrin

WELL HERE HE IS!! :bgrin

His name will be announced as soon as he is registered...

for now his name is DREAMER..... :bgrin THANKS BARNBUM... :bgrin :bgrin

100_1426.jpg

100_1425.jpg

100_1436.jpg

100_1442.jpg

100_1423.jpg

THANKS for letting me share.... :bgrin

Jeri

Last edited by a moderator:
He's tobiano for sure and likely carries another pattern too with that big snip. He looks silver bay to me??

You can test him for tobiano, frame, agouti, silver. Hopefully, there will be a test for splashed white, too one of these days.

He's really cute!

:aktion033: Congradulations!!!! He is so so adorable. In my opinion, he is a perfect little bay tobiano. I would be tickled pink to have a foal that looked liked him. And, the name Dreamer fits him.

default_wub.png
: nice looking foal. I alway taught Tobiano had to have white cross their back maybe I am wrong. With our big paint a tobiano has to have white cross their back,neck and butt area.The overo don't have white crossing their back, neck or butt. I am guessing he is overo to me. Others might know different.To have a tobiano one parent must be a tobiano(is that right?)

thanks melissa

p.s. Some sites about tobiano and overo patterns

www.coloredhorses.com/PP2new.html

http://www.coloredhorses.com/PP2.html

http://sheepasylum.cherrytaco.com/equinecolor/main.html

http://www.apha.com/breed/tobiano.html

http://www.apha.com/breed/overo.html

http://www.apha.com/breed/tovero.html

For those who think the foal is tobiano please tell me why tobiano and not overo.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought was tobiano too... but then with that big snip there must be something else there... I'm thinking maybe splash overo... and I say silver bay too.

I alway taught Tobiano had to have white cross their back maybe I am wrong.
Melissa, that's an old school of thought. It's now known that minimally marked tobianos don't have to have white crossing their backs (I've had more than one and own one now) and maximum expressed overos can have white crossing their backs.

You are very welcome, Jeri. He is a handsome young man!

Becky,

Then how will we know for sure if a pinto foal is tobiano or overo?
default_wacko.png
: Do you test your for overo and tobiano?What is the things you look for to decide if the foal is overo or tobiano?

Haazeminis

very nice looking foal overo or tobiano, he is a keeper.
default_wub.png
:

melissa

Your pictures are great! IMO he looks like he is tobiano but only way to know what he is carrying is by the tests you are having done, can't wait to hear the results - I always loved getting results of those tests, its fun to find out! Congratulations on a beautiful little colt! He is wonderful!!
default_wub.png
:

VERY nice colt!!! :aktion033: I am with the "silver bay" crowd...

Congratulations!!

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I alway taught Tobiano had to have white cross their back maybe I am wrong.
Melissa, that's an old school of thought. It's now known that minimally marked tobianos don't have to have white crossing their backs (I've had more than one and own one now) and maximum expressed overos can have white crossing their backs.

You are very welcome, Jeri. He is a handsome young man!
That is exactly why was asking this question... :bgrin Thanks for clarifying this Becky.
default_smile.png
I had also always thought the the exact thing...Only with my experience in the "Biggies" All my "Visual Frame Overos" had always had either an Apron, Bald or Huge Blaze on their heads....so I thought I would get opinons on here. Like I said we are having him tested anyway just to be sure.
default_yes.gif
:

Jeri

What a beautiful colt! No matter what color he is he is GORGEOUS!
default_wub.png
:

He looks like a silver bay ....tobiano from the 4 high whites and the location of the spots by his elbow (typical for tobi) those little jagged dots up on his neck 'could' be an indication of frame. or not, but the big snip on his nose sure makes me lean towards splash.

He's beautiful!

Charlotte

What a pretty colt! As for his color, I'm with Becky...I think he is a silver bay in color. As for his pattern, tobiano for sure, with another pattern in there also. I am glad you are testing! Those extra markings could be due to any of the other pinto patterns really...frame, splash or sabino!

What an adorable baby congrats! I dont see dun at all but he sure is cute!

What a beautiful colt! No matter what color he is he is GORGEOUS!
default_wub.png
:

He looks like a silver bay ....tobiano from the 4 high whites and the location of the spots by his elbow (typical for tobi) those little jagged dots up on his neck 'could' be an indication of frame. or not, but the big snip on his nose sure makes me lean towards splash.

He's beautiful!

Charlotte
AWE! THANKS CHARLOTTE!!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

I did think that odd marking on his elbow might be Tobiano, but was not sure.... :bgrin Yes and it is the Jagged Edged markings on his neck, Big Snip and Blue Eyes do also lead me to believe that there is something other than Tobiano going on there too.
default_yes.gif
:

Jeri

Jeri,

I would love to see his parents do you have pictures of them you could post.

I can't wait till my mares foal.

What are you going to name him?

Enjoy him

melissa

Hi

I'm sorry I can't see the pictures but just wanted to know if his sire is a dun and has dun factor including the dorsal stripe? If not, his sire cannot "carry" dun nor pass it to his offspring. Dun is not "hidden" for the want of a better word. If a horse has even only one allele of dun (Dd) then he will be dun and you will see dun factor and he will pass it 50% of the time to his offspring. A horse can be homozygous for dun (2 alleles of dun DD) and will also be a dun with dun factor but will look no different than the dun with one allele- the only difference will be the DD horse will produce all dun -either DD or Dd depending on the mare. No test for this yet so can only prove DD by produce.

Congrats on your new guy!

Latest posts

Back