Others with driving minis in NM?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksoomekh

Reaction score
I recently purchased Pepper, a wonderful 14 year old trained driving mini with his harness and easy entry cart. I was inspired to get a driving mini by my MIssouri Foxtrotter, Beauty, whom I used to drive a few years ago. I sold her large wagon and was looking for a smaller vehicle when I stumbled into the world of mini driving. I obsessed and found Pepper in Phoenix a short time ago. Unfortunately, my lovely Beauty passed away last week. I feel that her lasting gift to me was Pepper who is now soothing my sad soul. I do have two other Missouri Foxtrotters and two Rocky Mountain horses that I ride regularly.

I am thrilled to have found this forum! I will soon bombard you all with questions about mini driving. I would love to be in touch with others with driving minis living in New Mexico. I live in Taos. I noticed that Margo also lives in NM, and it would be great to be in touch with her if she is interested.

Karen

Hi, Karen---

Margo here. One of the greatest driving minis ever born used to call Taos home--it was Landrys Cowboy Del, a gorgeous Palomino stallion, who is now @ 27 yrs. old and living in the Pacific NW. He was owned in partnership w/ a true top trainer by friends of mine who also live in Taos. I had two of his sons; lost one to the longterm effects of ulcers last year, but still have the other,my 'heart horse',an 18 YO, 34" bay gelding I call 'Handy',registered in both AMHA & AMHR as "Jess Cowboys Top Hand", and an AMHA Champion.

I showed breed from @ 1991 until @ 2006, but had my fill of that, and now I just enjoy driving my minis when I can.I trained all of my own, of course.

You might want to look into joining the Enchantment Driving Society, active in the Albuq. area. Also, there is a miniature horse club, who are currently thinking of a 'restructure'to become more 'all-encompassing' for small equine, and not so much 'all about' breed showing; you might keep an eye on the website for the Land of Enchantment Miniature Horse Club(LEMHC, though the name may be changed in the coming months?) I am the one who single-handedly got Miniatures into the NM State Fair in @ 1986, and was a founding member of the LEMHC. This year, due to Fair Horseshow management dropping the ball, the miniature show did NOT have AMHA approval; upshot was a show w/both AMHA-style AND 'open' classes for 'overs'(horses above 34" and not over 38") and even small ponies...whether registered or not...and it was a good success and fun for all! You could become a member and be eligible for all activities...though I know it is a good ways down from Taos!

How tall is your Pepper? What kind of cart did you get, and what kind of driving do you like to do? I am a total afficianado of trail/pleasure driving now; am trying to get an unregistered, @ 37 1/2", chunky-style gelding going in the cart.

Glad to hear you have joined the community of mini drivers, and perhaps we shall meet one day in person!

Margo, east of Albuquerque

Margo: It was so nice to hear from you and learn about the horses with a Taos background. Your Jess is beautiful! I know that Valerie Graves was involved with minis for awhile. Do you know her? Do you know of anyone in Taos who is drives minis?

Thank you for all the information. I will join the two clubs you mentioned. I like attending shows and Combined Driving events, but I have no interest in showing myself. I also don't show my gaited horses. I would be interested in lessons, clinics etc to improve my skills. On our way home from Phoenix, my friend Holly and I spend a day taking lessons from Rebecca Anderson, DVM in Grants. I had taken lessons from her many years ago with my fox trotter.

I purchased a nice leather harness, a very new easy entry cart, and an Amish cart from Pepper's seller. She couldn't remember the name of the cart.

Pepper is 38." He is not registered. The seller had taken him to some open shows, and I think previous owners may have participated in Combined Driving Events with him. I am interested in pleasure/trail driving. I am currently driving him right from my place on wide, gravel roads, perfect for driving. Even though I don't plan to show, I do want both of us to reach a high level of performance just for my own satisfaction and for Pepper's best interest.

I'll try to post a YouTube video of Pepper in a separate post. I don't know if this forum accepts such videos.

I would love to meet you in person. Do you ever get up to Taos? I have plenty of room for you to stay with me. If you wish to contact me directly my e-mail is [email protected]. How many minis to you own?

Karen

Following is a video of Pepper with my friend, Holly, taking a lesson with Rebecca Anderson, DVM at her Sanctuary Cove Driving School in Grants, NM on our way home from Phoenix.

[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
Karen,

I am still on dial-up, so may not be able to view the video(will try when I have LOTS of time to sit here and keep an eye on things), but I wanted to reply to let you know that it was indeed Valerie and her longtime friend and partner in the horses, Sandy, who had Cowboy Del! They called their business "Paintbrush Miniatures", and still have website pages up,though they got out the minis some years back. Google for Paintbrush Miniature Horses, and it should come up; you can view the world-famous photo of Portia(their trainer/partner in ownership of Cowboy Del)driving him...gorgeous, all-natural movement...also, photos of Cowboy offspring(there is an adult mare daughter of Cowboy Del on the LB Sale Board right now, from OR or WA?...lovely buckskin mare.)After all these years, Cowboy is STILL my favorite, for all reasons, of every miniature horse I've ever seen...and I've seen a LOT, in 28 yrs. in minis. I met Valerie and Sandy when they came to me looking to buy when they FIRST got into miniatures, around '89-'90! I consider them good friends, though we haven't seen each other very often in recent years.

Your Pepper sounds like a nice little horse, and just right to start in minis with!Congratulations on the 'new adventure' of miniatures; I have yet to meet anyone who was already a 'horse person' who did not love and enjoy miniatures once they got 'into' them!

Right now I have 4 minis and, for the time being at least, a 44 1/2" Shetland mare.

I appreciate your kind invitation, and hope I might take you up on it sometime!

I will email you privately soon, too.

Best wishes,

Margo

Margo,

I looked up Cowboy--What a beauty! I understand why you are enchanted with him. I couldn't find the Cowboy buckskin mare for sale in the NW. I must be on guard for the "potato chip" factor since I already own 2 Missouri Fox Trotters and 2 Rocky Mountain Horses. Your relationship with Valerie Graves is very interesting. She is a fine artist.

I am so pleased to have met you on this forum!

Karen

Latest posts

Back