opinions PLEASE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
We took a yearling colt to our vet Sat. with what we thought was a locking stifle problem. Vet checked him throughly also holding his leg while he walked and agreed that was the problem. He also did x rays to make sure no other problem. X rays looked fine. He said best treatment at this time was injection of iodine and almond oil into the joint , which he did. And to keep up in stall for 4 to 6 weeks. If not better by then suggests another injection. Actually seemed better Sunday, but today(Mon) he is noticeably worse. He is actually dragging his leg alot. We have also been giving 1cc of brute twice a day. Has anyone ever heard of this treatment for this, and if so does it sometimes seem to get worse before it gets better? Thanks

I have never heard of that treatment. I have a horse that was doing that, vet said to make sure they got plenty of exercise. We excercised the horse up and down a hill for several months daily, not a problem since. Good luck, I know this tugs at the heart.

Injecting iodine in the muscle tissue around stifle joints to tighten up ligamints is a common practice in racehorses. The horses is then lightly worked to help distibute the iodine through them muscle areas. Horses will get stiff from this procedure. Sometimes for a few days. The horse is then to carry on its usual training or turn out. I have never heard of stall rest for this procedure. In fact the horse need to move to distribute the iodine.

I also have never heard of a vet injecting iodine into the joint. Are you sure he went into the joint or did he make several stab in that general area in the muscle area? And I wounld definetly be questioning putting iodine into a joint. You are injecting something that isn't close to being natural into a joint? Iodine is not made to be put into joints period. If you horse is not better I would seek another opinnion or consult another vet on this procedure.

Stifle locking is generally caused by the ligament that goes over the patella being lose and getting caught up on other ligaments. By putting iodine around the area you tighten the muscles. You should be exercising you horse up hill to help build up those muscles. If the condition does not get better the ligamints can be cut and it is carry on aws usual.

Good Luck

I will not comment on the treatment as this has already been covered.

I have never, ever heard of box rest for this problem.

Exercise is always what I have heard and done.

I would honestly be looking for a second opinion.

Tell your Vet, this is only good manners, but find the second opinion yourself, and fairly quickly, too.

I have 'heard of' iodine injection, but don't know the details of exactly where it should go, how it should be done, or aftercare; however, I do know that regular exercise is usually recommended when a horse has this problem. I agree about getting a second opinion, from a knowledgeable and experience equine vet!

Know someone who had the iodine injection done on a stallion who couldn't even mount mares due to stifle issues...I won't comment on what I think about making it possible for a horse with a problem this severe to 'pass it along'.....
default_sad.png
...but I do remember hearing that it apparently 'worked'.

The expensive little stallion I bought who turned out to have BOTH double locking stifles AND a serious bite misalignment (which I now know, *might* have been 'fixable' with early and extensive dental intervention-but, that wouldn't have 'fixed' the stifles, and I wasn't about to breed a horse with EITHER problem), I gelded and gave away to someone who lived on a large ranch, and could let him 'run out', meaning always self-exercised)--and I turned in his papers and told AMHA he'd died.

Margo

We had this happen once to a yearling colt. The vet advised 6-8 weeks of exercise in a large paddock.

We did this and he was fine in a few weeks. We had separated him from the fillies and he just did not have as much space to exercise. We feel we caused this.

Thankfully we had a knowledgeable veterinarian that did not jump the gun on surgery or treatments.

Physical therapy was the answer!

I have a horse with a slight patella problem... the vets oppinion was to walk her up hills and no turns, for 6 months or so.The more she is out in the hilly pasture the better she seems to get..I read in many vet books and articles on patella issues that box rest was not a good idea, so I would get another oppinion, maybe take him to a large animal hospital where they are more expierenced with this problem. I have no idea about the injection, maybe he knows something we dont?

I am now just reading about the patella problem as our little gelding is having such a problem. He was diagnosed with that problem a week ago. He is now 3 yrs of age, and I am driving him. My vet didn't think that it would further damage the problem. We do live on hilly property, and he has to go up and down hills while driving, which it doesn't seem to bother him, and his back legs seem to be bending better. Plus, he told me to put him on glucosamine chondroitin with MSM in it. I haven't purchased it yet, but am hoping it will help. Do you drive yours? If so, does he have any problems with it. Thanks,

Latest posts

Back