oops....I called 911 today!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanny

Reaction score
I was juggling several things at once, making lunch, breaking up a fight, cleaning up a mess the dog made, all while making calls and talking on the phone. I hang up with my hay guy and the phone rings and it is the police saying they received a 911 call from our house - is everything OK??? I am freaking out, yelling at the kids for playing with the phone - they are all looking at me like innocent angels saying they didn't do it, when it hits me that when I called the hay guy, his cell phone starts with 913 and I dialed wrong, hung up and re-dialed him. I must have dialed 911 the first time.

Fortunately, the local police know us well - because my husband has been on the city council for two terms NOT because we are in trouble with the law
rolleyes.gif
and as soon as I started explaining about having hay delivered today and calling the hay guy, etc. he was fine. Normally they would still have a squad car swing by to check on things even if I said I was fine, just because that is what they do.

Just another day around our house.......

Please tell me I am not the only one that does this stuff.

smile.gif
I haven't ever done that, but I am constantly calling the wrong number because I have a horrible memory. Of course where I live, you can call the wrong number and they will probably give you the right number as well as a message for whomever you are trying to call!

Hehe, my friend Melanie and I accidentally called 911. We realized it on the first ring and hung up. Imagine our surprise when a cop car came to her hosue!
new_shocked.gif

My mom was on a cleaning fix one day and when she wiped down the phone she accidentally hit the 911 button. She failed to put the receiver back on the phone so a squad car showed up! We were clueless until my mom figured out what she had done.

Yep. It's happened here. Trying to be a good mom, I sat down with my two oldest one day to show them how to dial 911 and went through all the reasons we call, what they might ask them when they call, etc. We practiced calling by pushing the 9-1-1 but not hitting the "Talk" button on the phone to get a dial tone. Well, lo and behold, mom had to go to the bathroom and they proceded to "practice" by hitting the talk button first and then dialing 9-1-1. Well, this city girl had just moved to the country and it was VERY dark when the policeman showed up at the door. I was afraid to answer because my husband wasn't home so I actually called 9-1-1 to ask that a police officer be sent to my house because a strange person was knocking on my door and I wasn't going to open the door. Imagine the laugh at the other end of the line when we figured out what was happening. I felt pretty silly to say the least.
wub.gif

I didn't call 911, but my baby did. He was about 10 months old and playing with the phone. Somehow, he actually punched in 911 and made the call.

I got a ringback and a query about the situation, and I knew I'd just taken the phone from Colton, so I checked the redial and there was 911 (plus a bunch of other numbers, but the 911 was all that mattered!).

Luckily, they didn't send anyone out here, but it really made me vigilant about the phone's whereabouts!

Another time, I was awakened in the early hours when it was still dark. My son was then just a few weeks old and I"d just gotten back to sleep from waking to feed him. I heard a car pull in the driveway, then the door open and someone get out and walk around in the gravel driveway. I was thoroughly curious, so I got my contacts in, got up and peeked out to see a flashlight being wielded around at our cars! I looked at the car in the driveway and it was a Sheriff's car, so then I realized who it was. I opened my bedroom window and called him over to ask him if I could help him.

He said the 911 center had gotten a call from this house and he was sent to investigate. I told him I had been asleep and noone else in the house was awake, that I doubt anyone had dialed.

He then proceeded to tell me they'd had one other like it in Knappa, another rural area just North of here, at the same exact time, 4:45 a.m. I guess luckily he didn't feel the need to come in and look around, but it was a disturbing way to wake back up after having not gotten enough sleep, anyway!!!

That's the story of the phantom 911 call!

Liz M.

We have had phantom calls as well I was out at the store in the morning with raven my husband out in the shop (we were in CA) and i pulled up and see 3 cars there thinking OMG what happened go into the house nothing no one.. so go in the back yard well there are 6 cops sort of standing there and i am thinking odd where are the dogs.. just at that moment our sleepy gaurd dogs come charging out of the garage (they had a doggy door so door was closed) and here comes a bulldog, 2 pit bulls and blood hound and a schnauzer in tow.... and of course out come the guns it could have been very ugly had i not been there. Finally i scream what are you doing here anyway...they said someone called 911 well no one was in the house by the phone.. turns out it was something to do with a storm and the lines

Of course here in ID I amin county which means Sherriff they are FAR away.... there is a police station a few miles from here(they cant come they are city).. I did call casue i needed them.. 86 min later they showed up for a 911 call (fat lot of help they where sigh good thing me and my girls had discussed somewhat what to do in a situation like this) to tell me that they dont normally come out this way and got lost
wacko.gif

Last edited:
Glad they called you to check , that was good! years ago mom accidentaly hit the panic on her alarm system, didnt know it untill nearly 3 hours later when the police showed up. Yup, nearly 3 hours! Glad it wasnt an emergency. And she lives in town.

A couple of years ago I used the phone at my desk at work and I went to call a relative with the beginning numbers of 922. Well, I dialed 911, and just after that realized that I did so and quickly hung up the phone. I don't think the phone even rang once. Anyway, within 5 minutes there were police here at work talking to the President of the company and they were looking for the person who did this. Imagine how embarassed I was that the whole company knew about it because they eventually announced over the intercom that "who ever called 911, please go to the lobby!" Boy was I embarassed and I was the subject at the next company meeting on how to handle these situations where you accidentaly call 911. If I ever do that again, I will definately stay on the phone and then tell them I dialed the wrong number.

But on the plus side, the officer that came to the company... .well, shall I say I found that man in that uniform quite attractive? blonde, blue eyed, tall, physically fit... You all know the type. LOL.

biggrin.gif
Ok Nila you win .. that is embarassing talk about taking the walk of shame to the lobby lol....
smile.gif
wink.gif
at least you got to see a cute butt and well those guys in uniform
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back