Online Grocery Shopping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I'm about try online grocery shopping at Harris Teeter, which right now is the only local grocery that offers it. You pay either $5/trip or $16/month for unlimited.

My sister has been using it and is very happy with it including the produce selection (you can specify like yellow bananas, green ones, large apples, small, ETC.) You can click either to allow or disallow substitutions on the list as well. Apparently, you just pull up, pay from your car window, and they load the groceries!!!

I've got a list started and so far, I love the idea and the time saver. Ironically, though, H (who actually does most of the grocery shopping) is not in favor of it... maybe he likes doing it more than he's ever let on
default_rolleyes.gif

Should be a big time saver and for $5, sure worth a try
default_yes.gif

I'm wishing Safeway would start to offer something similar, and my sister, too... That's our favorite grocery store.

Are any of you using this kind of a service?

I have used it here we have Albertsons now I have only done it a few years ago when stuck at home due to mare stare (ahhh those were the days) and by day 3 or 4 with no food the kids would start to complain a bit LOL

Worked well and was very convienient

Sounds like a good deal to me. Let us know how you like it.

I do order my no salt foods from the Healthy Heart market, as the stuff I use can't be found local.

Also order from Azure Standard.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I really hate to go grocery shopping, or honestly any "in person" shopping, but love to shop online. So I've actually been having fun making our list. I think H will pick it up tomorrow and I'll let you know what we think! We're doing this at the Harris Teeter in Warrenton, VA, which is the town we both work in. I don't think any of the stores closer to our house offer it, but it's convenient to do this in Warrenton in our situation.

I guess shopping online would limit impulse purchases, but a lot of the time I do like to grocery shop.

It sure sounds like a great timesaver and worth the $5! I still prefer to go to the grocery store, BUT... I do have an app on my phone that's a grocery list - it a great check list, it sorts by category and of course it will read the list to you while you shop. I've actually found that to be a great time saver! Let us know how the online shopping goes - it does sound VERY convenient for those of us with very busy lives!

Liz N.

I think I will stick with getting in my truck and driving to the store. Im a impulse shopper and hate to give that up!

I like to see in person what Im buying that way I know its current dated, fresh, and good.

I would hate to think if I bought a bunch of food over the internet and get it home just to find out I wasted $$$ and wont eat it all because I was too lazy to get it myself.

Might work for others pending the reason y they went this route, but for me, no way. Ill go get it myself!

PLUS think of all the clearance stuff you would miss out on, or good garage sales you would not pass!

I work right beside where I shop.... so not going out of my way anyway
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just placed the order online and got my confirmation email. H will pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I cannot say that this solved me from doing any impulse buying, though! This will be a huge time saver for us, and also make it less likely to get home and remember something you forgot to get
default_yes.gif
I liked doing it online, but hate to grocery shop in the actual stores!

Sounds like it might be a good time saver-not sure about saving any money even with no impulse buying.In my area Harris Teeter is the most expensive store to shop in.However they do have lots of items that other stores in my area don't carry.Hope you enjoy doing it.I hate grocery shopping.Spend all that time and money ,carry it to you car then home and into the house, put it away.Cook later, eat, clean up the mess, 1 good Po--- and it all goes down the drain.Big waste of time and money, but I do love to eat.Let us know how it works for you,Jill.Hope it does what you want.

I love the idea and think it would work great for many things.

For produce, however, I'm too picky and can't imagine they'd be as particular in weeding out bruised apples or imperfect bananas...and I hope they'd give you more choice than just large or small apples -- I'd want my Fujis or Granny Smiths! But that's okay, I could save buying produce for the farmers' markets.

The online folks would probably fire me as a customer when I insisted on the latest pull dates on everything...

I would love if this was available anywhere near me...I hate to grocery shop....I am in the middle of nothing....closest big store that could even attempt this is 40mins away, and I am sure there just isnt a market. I do have a local market within 20 miles and there is no way they could do this.

I love the idea and think it would work great for many things.

For produce, however, I'm too picky and can't imagine they'd be as particular in weeding out bruised apples or imperfect bananas...and I hope they'd give you more choice than just large or small apples -- I'd want my Fujis or Granny Smiths! But that's okay, I could save buying produce for the farmers' markets.

The online folks would probably fire me as a customer when I insisted on the latest pull dates on everything...
Susanne, you do specify exactly what specific type of apples (tomatoes, potatoes, pears, grapes, ETC.), and beyond that, the size, condition, etc. You get to be very, very specific and Robin who is a pickier shopper than I am has been really happy. Hopefully we will be, too. H is picking up the haul today!

I like to grocery shope (I know, one of those weird people!). I could see some weeks when I'm super busy it would be convenient. I like to pick out the food I'm going to eat myself, I have a food allergy so I have to read labels a lot! You'll have to let us know how it turns out!

Susanne, you do specify exactly what specific type of apples (tomatoes, potatoes, pears, grapes, ETC.), and beyond that, the size, condition, etc. You get to be very, very specific and Robin who is a pickier shopper than I am has been really happy. Hopefully we will be, too. H is picking up the haul today!
That sounds good...I'll have to check around here to see who has it. I know there used to be a separate company with their own trucks who took online orders AND delivered, but I'd be happy to shop online and have Keith pick up the goods on his way home from work! I don't mind grocery shopping, but I hate the crowds, so I only like hitting the stores after midnight. Doesn't exactly work when Keith has to be up at 4am...

Well, I'm happy with the results! I had indicated "no substitions" on the list and they called because they didn't have the brand of pita bread I wanted, but offered something very close which was okay with me. All the stuff looks at least as nice / fresh / good as I'd have selected myself. I plan to use the service regularly
default_yes.gif

Sounds wonderful Jill!

Well, I'm happy with the results! I had indicated "no substitions" on the list and they called because they didn't have the brand of pita bread I wanted, but offered something very close which was okay with me. All the stuff looks at least as nice / fresh / good as I'd have selected myself. I plan to use the service regularly
default_yes.gif

With husbands + grocery shopping... we have this country grocery store just across from us and H loves to go over there. There's always something we "need". Truth is that this is where the neighborhood men do their gossiping!!!
default_biggrin.png

This sounds amazing
default_smile.png
I wish someplace around here offered this... I am pretty picky about my fruits so I think I would still want to pick them myself but most of the other things I would be fine having someone else select for me... It would save alot of time and in my case save me from alot of things I don't need - like on the chip aisle or candy aisle -- I can't ever make it past them without buying something even though I know I don't NEED it
default_smile.png

I just wanted to update. I've been doing our grocery shopping online since the first part of February and LOVE IT! So easy! And well worth the $5 service fee. I've started allowing substitutions and many times have been "upgraded" to a bigger size or name brand (I like the store brands for many things just fine) at the SAME price. They select produce and meats as nice as what I'd select. I really like both the store, Harris Teeter, and the service. I had not previously been an HT shopper but I'm a loyal and internet driven one now.

Latest posts

Back