? on kind of hay.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucker

Reaction score
I know this was on the board some where,about Brome hay,Just wanted to know if its good to feed to horses,If so i found one heck of a deal on it some really nice hay.And yes i went looking to see if i could find it on here with no luck,sorry to have to ask again. :saludando:

Brome is one of the grasses that grows well around here, so it is in most grass hay baled (and grass/alfalafa mixes) in this area. My horses love it. I've never tested it myself, so don't know for certain; but I've heard it's high in sugars, so could be a problem if you have horses with metabolic issues (IR, Cushings, etc). [And, the area it's grown in and growing conditions; also factor into the sugar level issue.]

I'm sure someone will have more information on it for you. You might see what http://www.safergrass.org/

has to say about Brome grass.

:saludando: Thanks for the reply,liveing where i live here in oklahoma I cant find any good hay ,and all the so so hay here is priced way to much,So I thought i would give it a try,its really good looking hay,with a great price

Brome is an excellent horse hay and most horses eat it readily. It can be high in sugar and I can't feed it to my foundered mare, but most horses do quite well on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back