Oktoberfest at LKF

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket's mom

Reaction score
Haven't seen any discussions on the sale at Oktoberfest and was wondering what the prices were like. Were they down or normal? Were there a lot of people there?

Well, there was a thread about it but it got deleted.
default_rolleyes.gif

Well I dont know why the other post was deleted but I hope it is ok to tell you that the prices were down on most horses and people went home with some steals. There was a decent amount of people there probably around 40-50 would be my guess. So not a huge sale but not completely tiny either. The problem was that only a few people were bidding the rest were just there.

I started a thread for sale results / sale prices and it turned into something ugly for some reason
default_wacko.png
. Mary Lou locked it, however, then I asked her to DELETE it all together as I didn't feel it was right to LKF for those things to be on this forum and able to be viewed even if locked ... so thought best to just Delete it. It's what I would want done had it been my farm, work, program, time & $$$$$ in discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leeana,

I never got to finish reading on that thread before it was lock/removed. The tone of thread at the point I had gotten to was not a slam to LFK. LFK IS one of the, if not the, most well known farms. But it became a discussion on the economy and the surplus of miniature horses. If a major name farm that produces quality again and again at the national level can't command top dollar at a farm sale, then that is a wake up call for breeders (ALL) in our industry. When the buyers aren't there, EVERYONE needs to cut back. Auctions are a good measurement of the industry and they are all down.

If a major name farm that produces quality again and again at the national level can't command top dollar at a farm sale, then that is a wake up call for breeders (ALL) in our industry. When the buyers aren't there, EVERYONE needs to cut back.
But Little King is still getting top dollar for their horses. I talked to Robin and they sold quite a few after the world show...right after the Oktoberfest sale they sold a Buckeroo daughter to France....and these are typical of their private sales and brought top dollar..... The Oktoberfest sale is advertised and designed to give the "best deals around".... nice horses that the average person can afford. They were happy with the prices on most, and didn't sell some because they didn't get what they wanted. My point being....they still get top dollar for their horses, and their sales are going quite well.

Leeana,I never got to finish reading on that thread before it was lock/removed. The tone of thread at the point I had gotten to was not a slam to LFK. LFK IS one of the, if not the, most well known farms. But it became a discussion on the economy and the surplus of miniature horses. If a major name farm that produces quality again and again at the national level can't command top dollar at a farm sale, then that is a wake up call for breeders (ALL) in our industry. When the buyers aren't there, EVERYONE needs to cut back. Auctions are a good measurement of the industry and they are all down.
Carin - It was my thread ... but I am sorry you didn't get to finish reading it before I decided for it to be deleted. If you want I guess you could start another thread debating the topic however I think it has been beat to death already and we go through this on a daily basis in regards to current horse market ...... but your more then welcome to open the topic up for discussion, agian.

There were more then several posts that were just downright rude in the thread that I (& others..) felt it was best was just deleted all together instead of just locked (sort of like a car crash ..... you just can't help but look - ei, locking brought in more views of what was already said) - the thread was NOT to discuss market, it was for each horses final sale price. Which, I still have if anyone is interested.

I agree with Tami 110% ..........

(There were about three horses in the sale that I wanted that I would have paid a lot more $ for then what they sold for, had i been there, either private sale or auction).

The tone of thread at the point I had gotten to was not a slam to LFK.
Are we even referring to the same thread ?

....I talked to Robin and told her why I chose to have it deleted
default_yes.gif
and it was for the BEST.

"There were more then several posts that were just downright rude in the thread that I (& others..) felt it was best was just deleted all together instead of just locked (sort of like a car crash ..... you just can't help but look - ei, locking) - the thread was NOT to discuss market, it was for each horses final sale price." Leeana

I agree!

I like to be able to see what the horses go for! It incurages me to attend one of these sales in the future as it gives me hope that I TOO maybe able to afford a top quality horse at my low-income status and be able to say I own some of the best like the big farms. It would be nice to purchas a Little King named horse from the farm and enjoy the farm while visiting and be a privilage being there and buying from there instead of buying their name from another farm for once...
default_wub.png

Mindylee,

I TOTALLY agree with you! I would think I've died and gone to heaven if I could buy a Buckeroo grandson from LKF and wished I'd had the money to have gone to Oktoberfest, but will have to wait another time. I have a Buckeroo great-grandson and would love to move higher up on the ladder so to speak and have a grandson someday. BTW, I'm Janie, we've e-mailed back and forth a few times earlier this month about the show shirt you had for sale.
icon1.gif

I remember ya Janie! I'm glad to see im not the only one that feels this way. I have top show quality but would like to add more and from the farm itself, not from farms who bought them then sold them. I have a King Supreme son who carries the Little King name along with a couple of Buckeroo g-daughters, just would like to do it at the farm who is know for it all...

And I would just LOVE to see the main man himself (Buckeroo) at least once!

I have to say that this was the first Little King sale I have attended and it will probably be my last. I purchased a colt that was supposed to be double registered but only turned out to be A registered. Also I have not recieved any of my papers yet, at the end of the sale it took "FOREVER" to check out of there because the woman accepting money obviously had no clue what she was doing. Also for those who wanted to pay by credit card ran into problems because "Supposedly" they did not have a machine to process the cards on. For as many sales as they have had in the past you would think they would be organized a little better. Also the parking was a little bit to be desired, they parked people with trailers all the way at the end of their lane and we had to walk the distance to the barn. I can't say if I got a good deal or not yet because I have not received my papers yet and I am now almost scared to see what kind of mess they are in when I do get them. There have been other instances from this sale in regards to mixed up papers and horses, etc. Only time will tell.

This was in no way a slap at LFK. And of course they and others don't offer their best through public sales. But sales are the pulse of the industry and when a major sale is down considerably it should be taken seriously by everyone. That's all I'm going to say(or try to say) on the subject.

I guess I am never going to understand why people don't want to talk about this sale. I for one want to know because it might affect what I decide to do in the future (decide to attend the sale, decide to buy at the sale, etc.) and if people aren't willing to talk about it how in the heck would I learn??? I guess we could ask the people that ran the sale if they would rather it be talked about here, on an open forum, where they have the chance to explain why it happened the way it happened AND to let us know how they are going to improve next year or if they would rather it be talked about in private (face to face, on the phone, at shows, at the feedstore, etc.) where they have no idea what is being said with no chance to explain or, more importantly, to LEARN from their CUSTOMERS. I think some people forget that when you sell a horse (or hold a sale where horses are sold) you are selling to CUSTOMERS. It is important to retain customers and to learn what your customers want and cater to that.

Would just like to say that I made at great purchase at the Oktoberfest and had a great time.

I love attending sales!! Estate sales, garage sales, horse sales...you name it. I have always found the Little King Sales to be awesome. They treat you graciously, serve you free food and really go above & beyond to make you welcome! As with any auction the buyer has the right to buy or pass on any lot presented.

You may buy the very best a farm has to offer and then it is up to the buyer to properly care for, train and promote the animal. We all know that varies with how much time & money someone wants to put into an animal. Personal preference of an animal is also different from one person and another.

The set up of the sale was for the convenience of those attending. Parking was not in the same area of the purchase pick up area, (just like at the mall!) After the sale, most people realize they are not the only customer waiting to pay / get their papers and therefore exhibit some degree of patience and courtesy. I have always gotten my papers in a timely manner. Again I found those handling the office to be polite and answered any questions for me. Reading and correctly tranlating what is listed on the sale paper is the responsibility of the buyer. It goes back to the glass being half empty/half full.

I feel that the folks at Little King are attempting to do what they can to help out the industry. Their past dedication and contributions to the industry speak for itself.

Back