Ok, I'm sure this is gonna ruffle feathers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow this is a GOOD topic! :aktion033:

For me personally, I would say that I read this forum at some stage, every single day (is that sad?).

Sometimes I literally only have 5 minutes, and will go straight to the most recent posts and that is it. I do not even log in a lot of the time. I often think that I do not post enough, but I am new to the mini world and would prefer to sit back and observe and learn, rather than comment at this point.

I think there may be a whole host of reasons why people may read, but not post on a certain topic.

I may open a photo of a new foal for example, and it may not necessary appeal to me personally (it may very well be the most amazing foal ever, but I may not like it). I am the type of person who will comment if I love something, but keep my opinions to myself if I do not care for something. I am not going to lie to someone for the sake of posting. I had a lady tell me not that long ago, that my dog was "funny looking". Instead of getting hurt or taking offence, I just accepted the fact that everyone has different ideas on what they consider cute, good quality, handsome etc etc so it is not such a bad thing.

I may open a post with a catchy title only to discover that it does not apply to me, or interest me (my visit is then added to members viewed). My point is, yes I opened the topic, but the person who posted does not know that their topic did not apply to me, and wonder why not everyone is responding (this does not make sense does it?) SHUT UP KIDS!!!!!!!!!!.

I may also open a post that is asking for help on fitting a harness for example, of which I know nothing about. I still like to learn by looking at the pictures and reading the responses however, this poster then thinks "people are viewing my post but not responding, why?"

There is quite a lot that does not apply to me directly on this forum such as breeding, foaling, driving etc however I am still interested to learn about them (so I go into them, but would generally not respond).

I also believe a lot of people are too intimidated to post (due to past fights etc), but will come on and read instead. I am often shocked to read responses to certain posts. Some people do not know how to be civil, and I really think they get great satisfaction from putting others down. It all comes down to, not what is said but HOW it is said. It makes a huge difference! (I am NOT saying this about anything that has been written on this particular topic).

I am trying to convey here why there are often so many posts that have been viewed, without a response.

For example, this has taken me a good hour to post as I am trying to concentrate with my two young boys carrying on around me! People may be in situations like me, where they can read, but do not necessarily have time to respond (eg. young kids, logging on from work, borrowing someones computer etc etc). There are so many reasons why people may not respond. I also go through stages depending on my life at the time. If I am busy and/or stressed I usually just read. If I am relaxed without kids and have time, I try and post.

I am sure this will not make sense, but I tried!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, usually only post when I feel I have something new to add. I do, however, read daily and sometimes 3 or more times daily. As for the photos, I love to look at them, but rarely post them unless I am really excited about a photo for one reason or another. Then, I do realize that my excitement may not be catching :bgrin

I also think that MaryLou and all do a really great and sometimes thankless job. Without them, we would all be stuck on some of the less appealing forums. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your work.

Angie

I don't get why anyone has to go "down ronder INTO" any forum. I just go to the main forums list, then go to the bottom of the list and click on "Todays Active Topics" and all of the new threads and threads with new posts. One click--alllllll the new stuff comes up. As for not liking something or being too lazy to click the mouse an extra couple of times--that is people's perogative too. If you want a board where you can put what you want where you want it and not have to make the extra couple of clicks, then go make you own board. This is a great place and I think too many people take it for granted or think that they should have a say in how it works.

Again--Main Forum Page...scoll down and click "Today's Active Topics" ....no more finger cramps from overusing that mouse...

edited to add: Lucky-C, I looked at the pics of your horse twice and was at work and couldn't get logged in. I know I backed out and came back in trying, but my computer at work acts up. I was probably 3-4 of those views with no response. Sorry. See...truly nothing personal.

Could one more list/forum be added to the forum, . . . . 1 just for educational topics.
IMO, I thought that was what the main page was for.

Again, IMO, all these criticisims is kind of like going into someone else's house and telling them they have their stuff in the wrong room. There are some of the forums I seldom if ever go to. That is my choice. It is NOT my right to tell the moderators they have put something in the wrong place. Asking
default_yes.gif
: . Telling :no: .

Again, IMO, all these criticisims is kind of like going into someone else's house and telling them they have their stuff in the wrong room
Umm Don't see where any one is criticisizing (spelling?) anything.. Mary-Lou asked for suggestions and that's what people are giving..

In no way was I giving critisism to anyone who moderates the board.. I just wanted an explanation as to why my pictures were the ones being moved when others just like them were staying..

I have to say im so glad you are going to a dedicated server :aktion033: but i do know in turn that costs more money.

a lot of people use the forum to sell foals at foaling time and then you will barely see them the rest of the year. I hate to see the forum turned into a saleboard as mary lou has already provided a great one. and they very rarely ever offer to help anyone by answering questions. Eventually people who havent been here as long start to catch on with who does this. People who do this and then dont even pay to be a sponsor should be ashamed. If you have sold even one foal off here you should gladly be sending in that sponsor fee. In the past, I have rarely had horses for sale so have not turned my fee in but I will be sending it this week to show my appreciation to Mary Lou for taking on a dedicated server.

I like the picture forum and I hope it stays. I can post as many pics as I want and not feel guilty about it lol. I still remember when the back porch was created and people threw such a huge fit. NOw its a very popular place to post. I suspect the pic forum will be the same :bgrin

You know what I'm also finding that jerks my chain? People that only use the forum to post photos of their new foals and then you never hear from them again!! They only post at foaling time. Just an observation I've had.

a lot of people use the forum to sell foals at foaling time and then you will barely see them the rest of the year. I hate to see the forum turned into a saleboard as mary lou has already provided a great one. and they very rarely ever offer to help anyone by answering questions.

Yup you all sure got that right. Like we were born yesterday. Really makes me want to hurl. Too bad cause these same people could really be an asset by helping others rather than themselves. It happens every year and it's way too obvious. There's "announcing" and then there is "selling"......and "announceing to sell" and we all know the difference and so do they.

Ok ML, here is my only suggestion that I could come up with.

Divide the photo part into two sections:

One for ANNOUNCEMENTS such as who you just bought, what you just won, or your new foal

Turn the other part photo into a MOVIE thing for those that have movies and Utubes to share.

Let the "regular" pictures such as "what we did today" or "look what my horse can do" or "look at my new barn building " etc. stay here on the main forum.

Great post.

I tend not to look at the photo section either. I don't know why?? Maybe its a time thing ,maybe a lazy thing or I figure if somethings important it's going to be on the main forum. I really don't know.

I love seeing peoples new foals and new horses they have bought. I just hope I will be able to view them from the main page. Maybe in time I will learn to use the other pages of the forum, but you know what they say its hard to teach an old dog a new trick
default_wacko.png
:

I agree a lot with what Marty has said and she speaks for me and what I believe. Keep the new foals, barn ect on the main and I guess additional photos will need to go to the photo page.

I just want to say that Mary Lou you have done a great job with this site and I'm not bashing or complaining just addressing my opinion too. You know you can never make everyone happy and if you try you will drive yourself CRAZY! So keep up the good work and us old farts will just have to go with the changes or be left behind
default_yes.gif
:

About the how many times a page has been viewed verses how many post they have received, I believe enough people have gave good reasons. Me for one, I like to read, learn and look but I do not like to post a lot. A lot of times someone else has answered the question just as I would have so whats the point of repeating it??

I think I'll go over now and look at the Photo section, who knows maybe it'll become like second nature, we'll see
default_wink.png
: Joyce

Change can be good, I do post a lot of pictures and love to see pictures. :aktion033:

I do not post as much, I did not realize I was posting too much. I am learning, I am here 24 /7 my hubby says. True maybe too much some days. This is my social life line.
default_wub.png
:

Just a suggestion:

Maybe we should change the photo / video gallery to the educational topics only, since it sounds like we have messed up the original forum page for what it was intended for. That way people who do not like what is being posted, just have to go to the one page only.... Do you think this would work?
default_wub.png
:

Well, yalls don't see any more pictures of Michael's Noelle or Timmy for that matter do you?

Nope. You won't. And I'm not going to post them to have them dumped there.

I just do not like the photo forum. Never have.

Matter of fact, I miss a lot of stuff when it's down there.

Tonite, Sheryl had to call me to direct me there so I could see her new filly.

I had no idea she bought her

because I for one don't have time to scan all these forums.

I don't have any answers or suggestions.

Not complaining about it either. Just going with the flow. Whatever the bosses decide is ok by me.

Could be a good subject for next weeks "Neverending Saga" though huh?
default_rolleyes.gif
:
Well, this strikes me as pretty ironic. You, like me, are an internet motor mouth, Marty! You post often and sometimes your posts are novel length. It takes about 3 seconds to click on over to the photo forum... If you have time to think you'd like to see a photo, you have time to go to the photo forum. You also disliked the Back Porch idea when it was new but you are a frequent visitor there now
default_smile.png
. Even with dial up, it is such minimal time and effort to post a picture "here" or on the photo forum. When I have pictures to share, with 1,000 people or with just a few, I appreciate the platform to do so. Those of you who don't feel that way can keep depriving us of sharing your horse photos if that makes you feel content.

I think people are making too big a deal out of nothing. I think the way it is now, is perfectly fine. I don't tend to go to the Picture Gallery that often, but it's a good place to have pictures. SOMETIMES I will go over there to see what's new and scroll down. I just put pictures of my pony mare there yesterday. I got a good picture of her I wanted to share, but it's not huge news so it's a good idea to have it on the picture forum where there will be less traffic but those who want to see pictures, can go. Sometimes I like to look at pictures real quick, versus reading tons and tons of posts and replies.

I think the BIGGEST thing is that people posting new topics need to be very descriptive in the topic TITLE. I have no problem skipping down, scanning titles to pick what I want to open. I don't feel obligated to open "New filly, By my Buckeroo stallion" if I am looking for those heated arguments that are so fun to read. On the other hand, I might say "Oh I love their stallion, I want to see the filly!"

Those topic titles are what truly catch my eye. I will usually open anything related to driving, or anything with a "question" that I might be able to help answer. I think people just need to remember that.

Andrea

I don't post a LOT but post compliments when I can, and read read read the main forum but it gets a little overwhelming at times because there is so much interesting information to read that after a while, my eyes hurt and I get a headache!
default_wacko.png
:

Well all of these forums may not had to happen if posters would have followed one little suggestion made years ago... In your topic line put WHAT your subject matter is so readers will know asap whether they want to open it or not. Intentionally leaving it out so it will get more reads is even worse!

Examples of no no's (my opinion)

Look what I got

Guess what I did today

Who's going to

Looking for

Need help with

What would you do

There is plenty of room to put more info in the subject line

Regarding those people coming to the forum once or twice a year to brag, there are also a few who come here just to advertise their farm events, open barn, sales etc. I think Mary Lou should send them a bill!
default_wacko.png
:

I'm sure glad Mary Lou and all those that work on this site are willing to do that work.
Thank you!!! There is a little navigational tool at the bottom of the screen to help toggle between forums - it's so easy to hop over to the Back Porch, Photo Forum, or any of the other forums - really, it is super easy to use!
default_yes.gif
:

Liz R.

I'll be honest with y'all.... I have NEVER been to the Photo Forum (except when my fun poster page was moved...
default_rolleyes.gif
: ). I read the main page EVERY day, and Back Porch. Nothing else. I rarely post, as either I'm at work ( not much time to post) or at home, where I have dial-up and it's SO SLLLOOWWW..... bleah. But I DO read them.

I do post pics of my foals, but since we rarely sell any..... heh heh heh I do love looking at all the new babies.

Lucy

I kinda know how you feel . It does seem like when a picture is posted certain members get a little more response than others , I think it is a popularity thing . The "others" have been forum members longer and have more of a friendship going than us "newbies" and take the time to reply to someone that they know than to someone that is just a forum member. I too feel a twinge of hurt when my absolutely adorable pics ( no predjudice there ! ) get little views and even fewer replies but I understand that there is so much to read and too little time to post , so no hard feelings from me . I have too been guilty of lack of responses, so to everyone : I love everyones new babies
default_wub.png
: they are gorgeous ! and thanks so much for sharing them and congrats to everyone that has aquired a new addition to their herd and to everyone that placed well at show and prayers to those going through health issues with wishes for speedy recoveries and condolences to those who have lost loved ones and to those asking for help : if what I knew was not posted already I would have replied. I hope that I didn't leave anyone out . And I think that it would be easier if ALL pics went to the photo area ( at least I would know where to go to see pics ) instead of hopping around between forums. Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did ! And no offense meant to anyone here . I love this place !

[SIZE=36pt]How freaking hard is it to click "Todays Active Topics" for pete's sake????[/SIZE]

l like the photo gallery hope it stays there. Some days there's stress or just can't cope with even reading about others problems or questions soooo...click on photos and yep me a no brain no gain just have a look see and life isn't all that bad anymore...half the time l couldn't care less what the poster said just looking works for me...it's not like the photo gallerys hidden never hurt myself with the extra click getting there yet...

It doesn't appear the Picture Gallery forum is suffering from lack of traffic. It appears that each post consistently gets 100-300 views. Some of the posts here on the main forum don't get that many!

Andrea

I'll venture that (for us oldtimers, anyway) the underlying objection is not so much that any particular post is moved, but rather a sense of personal loss regarding our old forum. What used to be a friendly, somewhat noisy jumble has become a riot with everyone shouting to be heard.

Our "family" has grown into a "small town," and is now becoming a "city." As traffic increases, the mail in our community can no longer be delivered on a first name basis...we need zip codes. Instead of a two lane country road, we now have a congested boulevard needing traffic lights.

It's progress...

While we appreciate the need for this, many miss the folksiness of our old, smaller forum. It's easy to feel hurt when one's post is no longer considered "front page news."

Sadly, we can't have it both ways.

I appreciate the need for change, and I do visit the photo forum frequently, but I admit that I feel a bit lost. There is no longer a place for the stories I used to write...they certainly aren't educational, so I don't feel they are appropriate for the main forum, but I rarely have photos, therefore the photo gallery isn't the place. My posts are miniature horse related, so the personality of the Back Porch is not right either. [shrug] But that's my problem.

Mary Lou and everyone involved with this forum do a superlative job and have to make many difficult decisions. I'm sure they miss the "good old days," too, but they have to maintain this forum as best they can, ensuring that it is useful and relevant to as many people as possible.

So while we miss the way things used to be, we have to accept the fact that things change. That's life.

Latest posts

Back