OH NO! Why is this happening again?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAM

Reaction score
The beautiful Mill Creek Valley~Prineville, OR
I just got a call from our trainer where we sent our mares to be bred back to our stallion who is in training there. She just called me to say she had to rush one of our mares and her nursing baby to her vet's because mom is colicking! :no: This is our palomino pinto mare Splash. I can't believe this is happening times two (see previous post) and we are suppose to be leaving for vacation on Wednesday. Splash was a little colicky this morning so the trainer treated her appropriately and was in contact with the vet. As the day went on she noticed baby was being affected as Splash appeared to be dehydrated so she took them to the vet's and he has started an IV on Splash to rehydrate her and she has since passed some manure. He thinks she will be ok to go home tomorrow provided she continues to improve. And baby is fine.

If you could please spare some extra prayers tonight it would be appreciated. Thank you again.

Oh my goodness! I pray that everything goes well for you
default_pray.gif
: This kind of stuff always happens when you have your own plans :eek: ~Jessica

The trainer's vet called a short time ago to give me an update. He did a rectal on Splash and it appears to be an impaction colic. Her intestines are distended with some hard fecal balls in there that are covered in mucous. She has been tubed and he hopes she will pass them. What I didn't know until now is baby took a turn for the worse showing signs of colic too, so he put her on fluids as well and said she has been a trooper through all this. He said they are 'ok' right now and said he would call me with an update in the morning. Please pray they both recover from this. I am not getting any packing done while worrying about my babies.
default_sad.png

Ohh, no!!!!

Debra, you are really getting hit hard with these successive colics. Poor girls, I hope everything turns out just fine.

Please know my thoughts are with you and them, and hoping for the best outcome: all three doing fine and back to normal.

Liz M.

You sure have had rotten luck with these colicking horses Debra! Or maybe it's a conspiracy to keep you from going on vacation. :no: Prayers headed your way for both the mare and foal!
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Debra, I'm so sorry you're having such bad luck, add me to your list of Prayer Givers, this is such a terrible thing for you to have to go through any time but especially right now.
default_sad.png

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way Debra! How stressful for you to have this happen to TWO beloved equines right before a vacation. Hugs to you!!!

Cam after reading about your pony colicing last night on the back porch, and now this, doesn't this seem to be just too co-incidental?

I'd be looking for a common denominator somewhere between the three........what I can't get is how come the foal is sick too? But doesn't' make a lot of sense with Splash and her baby at the trainers and Ginger at home. Strange! Do you think they all just don't want you to go???????? Sending many positive wishes for a speedy recovery to all! Now you take care of you too!

Speaking of impactions, I had better get out my clippers. I saw this morning that Chrissy had a mouthful of hair while scratching on Merry Beth! Holy hairballs batman! That's enough to do it too.

almost made me cry...I can feel your distress! Prayers coming for mom & baby! Please let us know when you can how they are doing today

Charlotte

The vet called this morning and both are doing much better. I guess last night around 11pm he came in the stall to find baby upside down in terrible pain, worse than Splash. He treated them both and baby was doing better. Now, this morning both have passed hard balls of manure and are feeling better thank God. He will be watching closely all day before they go back to Stephanie's. I spoke with Steph today and she is going to change the feeding program around a tad for them and make sure they are getting hay that isn't too coarse. We are crossing our fingers we don't have any more problems. Thanks for all your support and prayers. Better news for our pony too on the Back Porch post. Things are looking up.
default_smile.png

Edited to add: Marty, what's even stranger is I was up all night with my 4yo daughter who had a tummyache.
default_unsure.png
: Let's see...two at the trainer's, one here in the pasture and one in the house...now I am trying to see a pattern.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back