O.K. What would you do????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allure Ranch

Reaction score
O.K. without naming any names or farms here's the topic.

I've been in contact over the last week with a buyer that's shown some interest in one of our 2010 fillies. In our conversations I've already pre qualified her and determined that she'll be a suitable home. During this process we've had several conversations related to her new acquisitions and the fact that she's come from owning quarter horses to now owning her first miniatures. Yesterday during my conversation with her she was on her way over to another farm to actually pick-up (2) more horses that she had just acquired and needless to say she was extremely excited just as all of us would.

I decided to give her a call early this afternoon to see how her trip went and to my surprise she was EXTREMELY upset. Unfortunately, when she arrived at the farm to pick-up her horses that she had already pre-purchased she said that she was meet with emaciated, rail-thin horses that were on the verge of death and this wasn't only her horses that looked this way. It was the entire herd.

Under the circumstances she explained that she wasn't certain what to do when faced with the situation and that she was literally sick to death to have to leave the other horses in such deplorable condition. I advised her to contact the local sheriff department and file a complaint and to get the other (2) horses that she had purchased to her vet.

This conversation with her actually got thinking about what I personally would have done had I of been faced with the same exact situation. Personally I know myself well enough to know that I'm not one who would have been able to hide my feelings.....

The question is how would YOU of handled it at that moment?

I have been a situation like this. I contacted the humane Society in that county, they said they would look into it. They did , but I got nasty emails and phone calls from this person. HS only gives warnings at first, unless horses are in a near death situation. I called HS every other day. As I did not live close by I could not keep a eye on them. Needless to say , I have no idea if there was anything done about those poor horses and ponies.

I also contacted a rescue in that area. Never heard a word.

My advise would to keep trying to contact HS or , a rescue . Maybe someone will step up. Hopefully

I would have first gotten the ones that I had purchased loaded then immediately contacted the sheriff. I also would have explained that I had just purchased two of them and was on the way to the vet.

I worked for years as the only equine person in this county and the best thing that anyone can do is keep their mouth shut in front of the offenders and call the authorities. The reason that I would tell them I had just purchased 2 is so if charges are filed, they could use those two also as additional charges. The reason for being careful what you say to the offenders is that you might have to testify against them.

This is a sad situation, some people just should not own animals. I saw some this weekend that made me want to take the people out and tie them up somewhere until they were the same weight as their horses.

Unfortunately there will always be idiots out there.

Mary

I'm so sick of this crap and people getting away with it every single day.

Please understand that most all rescues cannot go into a property and seize horses. This is the most misunderstood thing about horse rescue. Rescues have no power or authority whatsoever almost 100% of the time. Rescues like CMHR can only be there to pick up the pieces after the fact. (And we do not pass judgement, we just help the horses).

The thing to do is call out the Sheriff in the county and demand he do his job. And for more information, no one, and I mean no one, not the attorney general up to the governor can over-ride the county sheriff. So you have to approach him with the facts, pictures if any for proof, and stay on his case to ensure things are happening.

Furthermore, these farms that are doing this should be exposed publicly for the low life they are. The media is a great tool.

Unfortunately sometimes things happen. If this is a big farm I am sure they did not start out like this. It could be something that just got away from them and the authorities are the ones to help them. You know the saying "people are barn blind"? Well, they could be thinking things are not as bad as they are. Call the SPCA and the Sheriff. Take your two to the vet and hope for the best.

Please understand that most all rescues cannot go into a property and seize horses. This is the most misunderstood thing about horse rescue. Rescues have no power or authority whatsoever almost 100% of the time. Rescues like CMHR can only be there to pick up the pieces after the fact. (And we do not pass judgement, we just help the horses).

The thing to do is call out the Sheriff in the county and demand he do his job. And for more information, no one, and I mean no one, not the attorney general up to the governor can over-ride the county sheriff. So you have to approach him with the facts, pictures if any for proof, and stay on his case to ensure things are happening.

Furthermore, these farms that are doing this should be exposed publicly for the low life they are. The media is a great tool.

I concur....

Unfortunately sometimes things happen. If this is a big farm I am sure they did not start out like this. It could be something that just got away from them and the authorities are the ones to help them. You know the saying "people are barn blind"? Well, they could be thinking things are not as bad as they are. Call the SPCA and the Sheriff. Take your two to the vet and hope for the best.

I don't own them myself..... However, I advise the individual that purchased them to take them to the vet.

Very sad situation. Everyplace is different, some states/counties have better enforcement than others but going to the authorities is sure the place to start. How many horses were there?

Jan

As hard as it would be, I would walk away from the purchase and call the authorities.

Just like puppy mills, if there is no market for their 'product' they will stop. It is very hard not to take those animals, but sadly in doing so you justify that there is a market and that having them in that condition pays.

I am sorry this was her first experience.

After I had my horses in the trailer I would probably have had to say SOMETHING about the condition of the horses. What exactly I would say would depend on a few things--things that I might see, answers I might get to some sneaky questions that I would ask, my general impression of the owner. I wouldn't say that I'm going to report them to the authorities, but I might end up telling them that they should be ashamed of themselves for keeping their horses in such poor condition. They'd likely be able to guess it was me that reported them once the sheriff came to call on them, but I wouldn't especially care.

A lady is here this week from Colorado looking to purchase a rather large boarding facility in my area that is failing. She planned to drop nearly a million dollars for this purchase.

After looking at said facility with the owner, she told me it was terribly run down, over grown, filthy, mold in office area and living quarters and the horses were standing literally above their ankles in manure and most of them were thin or worse. She said all 60 stalls would have to be removed and then gutted with a bulldozer, add new dirt/flooring, build all new stalls......the list of repairs went on and on, and lets not forget the condition of the horse's body scores were all about a 6. She declined to put in an offer.

I asked her if she told the owner the reason she was not interested and she said "No, I let it go". I told her she let a golden opportunity get away. The moral of this story is that sometimes opportunity presents itself and there is a window where you can sound off and leave an impression.

Just food for thought

Oh Boy , thats a difficult situation. I know now from expierence that it is difficult to get the sherrifs dept . to help out , there would be a pile of paperwork , warnings , and re checking that might never be done... Sooo, I would take as many as I could , after they were fit and healthy , I would re home them. Or find a rescue that would help support my efforts. Here is a question for you now that the situation with your buyer has changed. Are you worried that her new progect is going to take time money and energy away from your miniature horse? Are you still feeling good about your horse going there , and will there be another mini there to keep yours company?

I hope everything works out , what a huge dissapointment. I hope she files a report with better business beuro, and with the Humane Society and local shelter.

Krissy

Unfortunately each state also has different laws on bad care - food & water present - often means no action.

Also some people (I've seen pics on here over the years) 'think' their horse is in show shape and its thin. I'm not talking emaciated but obviously not in a healthy weight or condition. The bad breeders out there do need to be called out though. But sometimes it is a situation that does need more kindness than not to help the people get the horses out of a bad situation. This economy is not helping either. Not trying to excuse the owners, but I'm not condemning someone without knowing the circumstances either.

This past month I brought two minis back that I sold four years ago. The owner couldn't care for them and mentioned there feet needed work. My kids were both furious with me for not telling her off, but it was more important getting them out of there than not. She knew she'd let their feet go as she couldn't get a farrier, blah blah blah. But they're here now and will take likely a year to get over founder and bad to no trimming. Plus losing about 50lbs each. But when she told me they hadn't been dewormed in a year as she didn't know. I did say something! I give written instructions on care and make it very clear I'm available to buyers after the sale email/text/phone (heck spent 3 hours on the phone with someone today that bought a mini from someone else!), as I feel its important to have good information on care.

Hopefully those horses can be helped and its a neglectful owner, with bad life circumstances that can be helped out. I've been to a couple places like that over the years. Life sometimes gets away from people and the best thing is to help them not condemn them. Unfortunately too many people buy toooo many minis and then breed them all then can't sell and they're in a bad situation. Helping them get to a better place in life is often what needs to be done (taking horses from them, feed, gelding boys, etc).

I'm not talking aobut a puppy mill, I hate those places. Those people you'd love to find the deepest darkest hole and drop them in!

I think you should be aloud to name this farm, let them know we all know what butt heads they are and if that stops people buying from them then it might stop them breeding....
no.gif

THEY NEED TO BE NAMED.....

I don't really know what I would do, but I'd like to think I'd start by asking why the horses are so thin. Maybe there'd be something I could do to help, even if it's simply to educate if a lack of knowledge is behind the issue or inform them where they might find less expensive hay / feed if finances are behind the issue.

I have faced this problem, manny times. I used to work at a barn that went down hill and i had to leave. Now the barn is involved with my 4-H and i have very little respect for them. Horses don't get food or water but the owners just keep buying more horses. Animal has done nothing and just told them to feed there horses. I think the only thing left to do is call the police, but how much can they acutally do?

I agree! its so frustrating that people think they can treat animals like this! It makes me sick to think of how they suffer...

If finances are the issue I wish they would ask for help or let people adopt some of the horses to cut down on costs. If I was unable to feed all of my horses and could not sell them..I would find good homes for them. Are they priced high?

I sort of understand if the owner is a private person ( not a breeder ) and they are just very uneducated on how to care for their horses.... but when a breeder does this , and sells a horse for what she thinks is top dollar , then its a different issue all together.
no.gif

Problem is ...and I have done this too. some jerk has neglected their horses and then sold them to you. You feeling sorry for the horse pay top dollar for this horse not worth a can of beans just to save it, because you are a softy, and love animals . You are out the money ( that you now need to fix the poor horse) and the greedy so and so is laughing all the way to the bank... and ready for the next sucker.
wacko.gif
Its an endless battle. Taking 2 away from a bad breeder only makes room for 2 more for her to neglect..meanwhile her bank account gets bigger and bigger. Like someone posted before ( and this goes for all animals in need ) rescues do JUST clean up the mess. Someone else usually has to pull out their check book in order to get that horse to the rescue so they can do their job of saving the animal. rescues dont GET animals , they save them once they are in their care...the tricky part is getting the animal out of the hands of the abuser , and into the rescues hands. this takes thought planning, manipulating, and money (usually). Here in Switzerland , bad owners have to surrender their animal... and that usually never happens. I didnt get the chance to save the papered falabella, because she wouldnt surrender it to me or anyone else... there were at least 4 of us that would have saved this mare, or the 3 others in her care... not to mention the breeder. Very sad situation indeed. My heart goes out to all the horses going to bed tonight with empty tummys. I wish I could help them all. But I do have 5 that will never know what it feels like to be hungry, or sad.

Very sad situation. Everyplace is different, some states/counties have better enforcement than others but going to the authorities is sure the place to start. How many horses were there?

Jan

There are probably 25 max.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back