North Texas Pony Sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatonkas Dream

Reaction score
I was just curious who might be attending the sale tomorrow???

I am going with a friend and have the buy bug so ??? what I might come home with or could come home empty handed....

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man! You do have the buying bug.

I will miss you at the World Show. But have fun and get a good buy.

If you get a chance stop by and say "hi"! I will be the nervous one hoping that we have buyers show up. Most all of the ponies and minis were in the barn when I left at 9 tonight. We have some nice ones this year and lot of color.

The sale office will be open at 9 in the morning for bidders numbers. The barns will be open at 7 a.m. for "browsing"!

Thanks Ellen - I missed you too!!

I did not come home with any new children - got outbid on my favorite mare - she was a later lot so I passed up a few others waiting on her... but if it was meant to be it would have worked out.

Sales were down like other sales - concerning but not unexpected.

I did not keep track of what everyone sold for.

The entire sale results are posted at the website. Just go to www.northtexasponysale.com. This year's sale average was $427, about $90 less than last year (average of $520). Our highest sale average was $557 in 2002 and the lowest in 2006 at $340.

The high seller was lot 47, a grade Shetland riding gelding for $2300, second high seller was Dust Bunny O.K. for $1600 (buckskin 3 yr old classic mare consigned by Dennis O'Keefe). The high selling miniature was Aalin Backdraft, a weanling AMHR/AMHA appy colt for $1200 consigned by Jennye Cahoon-Shearer.

Thank you to everyone for their support of the sale!

Thanks for posting that report Leah. I enjoyed watching the sale. If I were into Shetlands, there were some great buyes to be had. I did actually bid on one or two Minis to get them started, even though I need to be selling not buying. It did seem to me like the average price of Minis was a bit higher than the last auction I went to. Still nothing to get excited about though.

A friend of mine went and below is what he wrote down on the sale as he stayed until #110. I know the economy has some to do with the low prices but I also think it has to do with over breeding and it does worry me when ponies go this low because it brings down the value of your animals also as some of these were show trained animals. I know I've had people tell me why should I buy from so and so when I can go to the auction and get them cheap. I always tell them buyer beware when you go to an auction. I know for me it is not worth it to raise foals and then only get $100 to $300 for them as I think that is crazy.

$75 to $125 = 13

$126 to $275 = 32

$276 to $500 = 21

$501 to $800 = 14

$801 to $1,000 = 7

$1,200 = 1

$1,500 = 1

$1,600 = 1

$2,300 = 1

15 were PO's

I know that some of the prices in the $801 to the $1,000 range were the miniature donkeys as it seems like they brought more money than the mini horses did.

I'm sorry I didn't go now! Lot #78 was one nice looking filly and she only went for $900.00!

Someone got a real good deal on her.

Having been to the sale twice, I can attest that the majority of the sellers are reputable breeders and exhibitors. I walked through the sale barn and inspected many of the horses available and did not find any that were "buyer beware". The high sellers were again the Okeefes and the saddle broke ponies. Many of the ponies sold went for less than what they are valued at but many of those went back into show homes. So, as a breeder, you have to ask "do I sell for less than it's worth yet get it in a show home or do I keep it and feed it another year?". Many of the horses consigned were weanlings or aged broodmares. A handful of proven show horses were available too. There were good deals to be had if you had a good eye and good understanding of pedigrees.

Here are my purchases I've made at this sale:

A daughter of a 3x Congress Grand Champion and HOF stallion

A son of Congress Champion, who is out of Congress Champions, HOFs, and Pony of the Years.

happy508.jpg

A grandson of a 3x Congress Grand Champion and HOF stallion

texcongresspro.jpg

[

15 were PO's

I know that some of the prices in the $801 to the $1,000 range were the miniature donkeys as it seems like they brought more money than the mini horses did.

The OFFICIAL prices are listed on the website. There were 14 PO's in the ring and two of those sold after the sale (one for $500 and one for $1200), There are also averages for each division of ponies, minis and donkeys that were at the sale listed on the sale website. Not saying what you listed is totally inaccurate but, I am the one the writes the checks and know exactly what everything brought, that is why ALL prices are listed on the website so people can see exactly what each animal brought. Many have photos as well. There was only one pony that brought $75 and he was a small Shetland yearling stallion that was thin and needed his feet trimmed and was towards the end of the sale. There were three $100 animals, one mare that was not sound, one barely handled pasture breeding modern stallion and one grade mini stallion that was also not sound. There were some nice animals that brought $125 and up.

There were two $1500 ponies sold, one a proven show mare and the other a grade Shetland riding mare. There were two that sold for $1200 (a mini weanling stallion and a grade riding mare that sold after the sale).

The prices have been low at all of the sales this year but I believe that so far the North Texas Sale has been the highest overall sale average for mixed all breed pony sale this year. I was hoping for higher prices but overall a very decent average considering the economy. I have researched the mixed pony sales back from 1999 and the highest sale average was $597 at the Master's-O'Keefe Sale in Des Moines, IA May 20, 2000.

There were definantly some ponies that brought as much or more than their owners had been asking at home for them and definantly some that brought less. The thing about an auction is that you have to have two people wanting the same animal in order to drive the price up.

Yes Denise #78 was IMO a very nice mare
default_wub.png
and I had issues stopping myself - I like another mare who is in another state and now am questioning if I did the right thing or not but whats done is done (I have a habit of 2nd guessing myself)

There are quite a few people that have nice horses they have gone home with

My stallions colt sold for ??175 or 200 and in the current market at this sale that was an ok to nice price for a 08 colt (colt isn't mine but from the former owner/mom of my stallion)

but that being said I expoused one mare late this spring have not had the vet confirm or not and if she is not I don't think I'll be breeding this spring. I totally enjoy the baby experience and teaching them and watching them learn and grow but taking a year off is also fine for me as well.

I'd love to be able to go to the sale but with Worlds the same weekend there is no way. Is there any way to push the sale back a week?

Lucy

With the show schedule for Area V and the popularity of the facility in Sulphur Springs we are pretty much locked in the first Saturday of October. I did have a few people come over from the World show and they left with a nice Shetland weanling show prospect but I know that others had classes and could not come over. It is hard to accomodate everyone!

The lot 78 mare went home with Joe and Darlene Clawson of Idabel, OK. Darlene is going to show her at the Spooker later this month. Bay is such a neat little mare, very quiet and just perfect for Darlene to show in the amateur classes so she can learn all about showing minis. I think that Dennis was happy with her sale and he is glad that she went to a show home.

Latest posts

Back