No politics -- just the love of dogs...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
For some reason my browser does not show the poll option, or else I'd do that...if someone wants to post this as a poll (with a write-in line) that would be great.

Sasha and Malia Obama will be getting a puppy this spring. What type of dog do you think they should get? One of the girls is allergic and needs a hypo-allergenic dog, limiting it somewhat. Before I heard that, I envisioned them with a Westie...)

I vote for

Standard Poodle (although the standards tend to think THEY are in charge...I picture Mingus with a curly coat in the White House...YIKES!) I love all sizes of poodles.

~ or ~

Golden Doodle (well-bred and properly vetted ((meaning checked for good behavior and training)), of course)

~ or ~

Portuguese Water Spaniel (actually, I don't know if they're hyo-allergenic) No show clip, however...PLEASE!

Personally, I think they should skip the puppy stage and go for a calm, mature, (white)house-broken dog in need of a home.

There is a rumor out there that it will be a shelter/rescue dog which I think is great! I didn't realize one of the girls is allergic. That does limit their choices. I am sure most people do think poodle when they think of a hypoallergenic dog. There is actually a fairly long list on Wikipedia. I have always liked the poodles I've been around though whatever the size.

A wonderful family dog is a golden retriever but they shed alot! Since you say one of the girl is allergic than I think they should get a miniature schnauzer another amazng breed
default_wub.png

I heard they were looking at wheaton terrier pups. The number 1 dog I would never own or recommend unless you have alot of experience with dogs, training and plenty of time to exercise them.

I think a poodle or bishon would be better suited

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they bought a SHELTER dog (or dogs)??? Who CARES what kind if they do that!

Interesting topic, for sure.

But I have to disagree with your choices, susanne.

Nothing sucks the testosterone out of the room more strongly than a Poodle or -oodley type dog. I KNOW they are good dogs, but not good at all for his public image.

Well, it would help with the French I guess.

On the other hand, he shouldn't go Pitbull or Rottweiler either. Stereotypes at work again.

I don't see him getting a Labrador or Golden Retriever... great dogs, but too common. He's a "change" person, after all.

I don't see him with any Giant breed. Nope, Saints would be ridiculous with the family. Can you picture Obama with a big slobber on his pants?

Hmmmm...

Dalmation... might work, Basenji, Border Collie, Shetland Sheepdog or Sheltie. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. American Foxhound.

Actually, they could go get a shelter mutt, that would be kind a cool statement.

Can't wait to see what other people say.

I've heard that Wheatons are wonderful with experienced, confident owners, but can be a bit too stubborn and dominant for new owners.

My sister just told me she had heard that one breed being mentioned is a Maltese. I ADORE the two Maltese who have shared our lives, but I don't think that would be the best choice. They are not always the best children's dogs, and tend to bond tightly with one or two people. This dog would have to accept being handled by White House staff along with its owners.

BTW, I heard that Barney was a naughty dog today...he bit a reporter. Guess he didn't like what he wrote. (Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE Barney!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard they were looking at wheaton terrier pups. The number 1 dog I would never own or recommend unless you have alot of experience with dogs, training and plenty of time to exercise them.
My, that is a bit of a strong statement against one of my favorite breeds. What do you have against them?

That is fantastic that they're looking for a shelter dog -- that really does make a statement!

Daryl, did I ever tell you about when my dad was fire chief of Happy Valley and someone gave them a Dalmation as a fire dog? My dad loved dogs and was excited about this. They were introducing the dog to sitting in a fire truck when the fire sirens went off. They quickly discover that this Dalmation had not inherited the fire dog genes, as he unloaded all over the seat of the fire truck (which then had to be driven to the fire!)

They found him a wonderful home away from the fire station...

Wheatens - like any dog breed - are individuals within their breed. The two I have known personally were not stubborn... were not difficult... and adapted happily to a regular walks lifestyle - they lived with seniors and thus were not going to be out doing agility or anything.

They also - despite being terriers - were not barkers. Not that my two (Smooth Fox & Border Terrier) are barkers, either!

Wheaten pup...

DHIFE-wheatonpup.jpg

I think they should get a smaller dog (whether from a shelter or a breeder) that the girls can handle easily...

...if not a wonderful Border Terrier
default_wink.png
(if there are allergy issues)...

AIGKV-UNOGO-twiggy.jpg

I think one of the little girls wants a goldendoodle last I heard because of her allergies.

Hands down Havanese
default_yes.gif
Ours is the most loved little dog in the whole family !
default_wub.png
And that is out of 6 dogs of 5 different breeds.

I read somewhere the girls wanted a Yorkie (GREAT CHOICE). However I guess there out Dad wants a large dog, he HAS TO walk.

We're getting a dog," his wife said flatly.

"When it's cold outside," Obama persisted.

His wife looked into the camera and said to their kids, "You guys are getting a dog."

When the presidential candidate again asked who would be walking the dog, the potential first lady replied, "You will. You will all be walking the dog."

"OK. All right," Obama conceded.

Why not a Cat? I harness train mine. We had one in NE that was harness trained and went every where with us just like a dog....even fishing. There are a number of cat breeds that will not cause allergy reactions.

I know...am a Rebel bucking tradition.
default_laugh.png

Ok I think they need 2 dogs, one little foo foo Poodle mix for the kids, so the little girls can dress it up and play with it
default_wub.png
. Then a Pit Bull for him! You could not ask

for a better american breed than a APBT they were our mascot dog for World War 2
default_saludando.gif

Heidi

default_nono.gif
BSL

Some past presidents have had veritable zoos -- my idea of what makes a house a home.

I think they need a large dog (one that will look regal in the oval office, one small dog, at least one cat AND a mini.

All rescues, of course!

My, that is a bit of a strong statement against one of my favorite breeds. What do you have against them?
I just personally do not like them. I have worked with quite a few and have had no interest in them. Not saying they aren't good dogs, but they need someone with experience, and time to give them. Even the dog trainer I work with does not really recommend them. Most people just don't have the time for this type of breed. I have delt with a few of them on many occasions and each experience has turned me farther and farther away.

Latest posts

Back