Nighttime Lighting For Foal Cam

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I want to start leaving the foal cam on my rescue mare throughout the night and wanted to know what I should use for lighting! I tried a nightlight but it didn't throw enough light for the camera to work. Should I just keep the regular light on all night? What do you do? Any tricks?

Thanks so much!

~Tammy

Some people string "rope lights" around the top of their stall, makes a soft glow. By rope lights I mean the Christmas type lights that are inside a tube.

Check to see if you camera has infrared, then you don't need lights.

Mine has infrared and we still have to use lights or it wont show up on the live cam. We have to use a regular light bulb. Tried about every other kind of light but only a reg light bulb would be enough for the cam to show up

Kay

I have Swann Nighthawk cameras. They are wireless and inexpensive. I can see perfectly even in pitch dark stalls. I can't get over how well they work -- day or night! They are just amazing and even have great sound capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt][/size][/SIZE]

Hi

I use black party lights, you can buy at Walmart. It is totally dark in the barn, but on the monitor it looks like day time. I asked my vet & they said it was good for germs etc. I think I read something on here yrs. ago & have used them ever since. My store must think I am a big partier. HE HE

dkminis

Home of Double Ks Farm Shoot the Moon

Double Ks Farm Fire Starter ( now decesed)

Hi

I use black party lights, you can buy at Walmart. It is totally dark in the barn, but on the monitor it looks like day time. I asked my vet & they said it was good for germs etc. I think I read something on here yrs. ago & have used them ever since. My store must think I am a big partier. HE HE

dkminis

Home of Double Ks Farm Shoot the Moon (HOF in one yr)

Champion All Star Model & color)

Third all star aged Stallion & Liberty

4TH & 5th model & Color at the Nationals

Double Ks Farm Fire Starter ( now decesed)

07 Champ. & Resv. Nat. Champ in Western Co.. PL Driving ( gebt & Ladie)

08 Resv. National Champ. Gent Western Co. Pl Driving

We've been using a red flood lamp (NOT a red heat lamp) and it's worked great, but we did pick up some of the white rope lights after Christmas for cheap, so going to try them in the new barn around our foaling stalls and see how they work, if they don't give off enough light then we'll go back to the red flood lamp..

Thank you all for your helpful tips!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

~Tammy

I use the red heat lamp bulb.

Amazing how well I can see everything all night. My moniter shows in black and white.

I also use the red light. I just use a regular 40 watt red bulb hung over or beside the stall. One 40 watt bulb easily provides enough light to cover two stalls.

We use a 25 watt yellow bug light, but I will have to try the black party light. Interesting.

When the lights are on for so many weeks I worry about the mares getting enough rest and find them facing away from the light or with their heads in the shadows.

We have a black and white monitor and are very happy with it and the low light light bulb. I am amazed that a single 25 watt bulb can fill the barn with light at night.

I have an infrared camera, I can see fairly well but I'd like to see a little better. I use the heat lamp but I have a 25W bulb in it so its not too bright for the mare but really helps with the shadows and corners.

I had a 40 watt bulb in each stall however that caused too much light and was making bright spots on the cam where you could not see the horse due to the glare.

I went with a 15 watt bulb which provided a softer light and it worked fine. Our cams have night vision which is great, except when I want extra light when it comes to foaling time. I want additional light in there to watch a mare that is close to foaling.

Hope this helps,

Steph

I agree with Jill about the Swann caneras - they are great...

But I rarely use the infrared - nowadays I just keep the overhead ligthbulb on for that stall - less shadows (as in - less hallucinations for me
default_wink.png
) and no glare. And the mares are not bothered by it in any way. That also eliminates the need to flip on a light when everything starts to rock n roll so you can see what you are doing... or when you need to slip in there and quietly check the mare's progress.

Just one option of many...
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for all your tips/tricks! Not sure which one I will go with yet but they all sound great! I will pass along all your info to my husband and let him decide!
default_wub.png

Thanks Again!

~Tammy

Latest posts

Back