New Winter Pasture.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Bottom Ranch

Reaction score
Hi All!

A while back, maybe a month or so ago, there was a topic started about pastures in the cool fall before a hard frost. It was perfect timing for that topic to be posted, because I had been ready that very same weekend to move our group of minis to their new pens, and I'm sure it saved me alot of hassle.

Since the minis have been here, they've been in smaller temporary pens, waiting for the remainder of our alpacas to leave. Then we ended up not moving them, waiting for the frost to kill off what green grass was there. I'd finally like to get them moved over to the bigger loafing barns and pens, but before I do that, I wanted to ask a couple questions to avoid any danger.

We have had weather in the 20's and 30's at night here in WI, so there is no more growth, and yesterday we had about 3" of fresh snow in our area. But, the grass is still under the snow, and they have been on drylot areas since August, when they came here. I'm sure they will paw through the snow to pick what grass is there, and aside from that, if we warm up any I'm sure most of the snow, if not all will melt.

Can any of you offer suggestions as to the best way to handle this to be safe? I'd really like to move them, they'll have more room in their barns, and in the pastures too.

Latest posts

Back