New Thread...Black-As-Knight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen S

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Since Taylor Jo started the thread on Black-As-Knight and Mydaddysjag made the comment that it contained capsicium I wanted to give you some information regarding the product….

Listed Ingredients:

Ground Extruded Whole Soy Beans

Vegetable Oil

Western Southern Dakota Chopped Wheat Hay

Can Molasses

Salt

*Paprika

Seaweed

Celery Seed

Pure Cane Sugar

Annatto

Zink Sulfate

L-lysine

Riboflavin

Biotin

Frolic Acid

General Analysis:

Crude Protein………20% Minimum

Crude Fat………….. 7% Minimum

Crude Fiber…………18% Maximum

Calcium…………….0.23% Minimum

Phosphorus…………0.1% Minimum

What is?

Paprika?: Made from Dried Ground Bell Pepper (capsicium annuum)

What is Capsaicin?

Capsaicin:

The fruit of most species of Capsicum contains capsaicin (methyl vanillyl nonenamide), a lipophilic chemical that can produce a strong burning sensation in the mouth (and, if not properly digested, the anus) of the unaccustomed eater. Most mammals find this unpleasant; however, birds are unaffected[2][3]. The secretion of capsaicin is an adaptation to protect the fruit from consumption by mammals while the bright colors attract birds that will spread the seeds. The amount of capsaicin in Capsicums is highly variable and dependent on genetics, giving almost all types of Capsicums varied amounts of perceived heat. The only Capsicum without capsaicin is the bell pepper, a cultivar of Capsicum annuum, which has a zero rating on the Scoville scale. Chili peppers are of great importance in Native American medicine, and capsaicin is used in modern medicine—mainly in topical medications—as a circulatory stimulant and pain reliever. In more recent times, an aerosol extract of capsaicin, usually known as capsicum or pepper spray, has become widely used by police forces as a non-lethal means of incapacitating a person and in more widely dispersed for riot control, or by individuals for personal defence.

Although black pepper and Sichuan pepper cause similar burning sensations, they are caused by different substances—piperine and alpha-hydroxy-sanshool, respectively.

What is a Stimulant Drug?

Stimulant drugs are drugs that temporarily increase alertness and awareness. They usually have increased side-effects with increased effectiveness, and the more powerful variants are threfore often prescription medicines or illegal drugs.

Stop Using Black-As-Knight if you are going to be drug tested?

Yes, you have to take horses off of it three weeks before you show, it isn't illegal, but it will give a false positive on a drug test for illegal substances.

A legal statement from Chevel International…makers of Black-As-Knight:

FORBIDDEN SUBSTANCES.

IN 20 YEARS AND WITH MANY OLYMPIC AND GRAND PRIX HORSES CONSUMING OUR PRODUCTS, WE'VE NEVER RECEIVED A SINGLE REPORT OF A CHEVAL HORSE "FAILING" A DRUG TEST. STILL, OUR LAWYERS INSIST WE TELL YOU THE FOLLOWING:

ATTENTION ALL SHOW HORSE OWNERS. DRUG TESTING IS GETTING STRICTER BY THE MINUTE, SO BE SURE YOU CHECK ALL INGREDIENTS WITH YOUR GOVERNING AGENCY TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN FULL COMPLIANCE WHEN YOU SHOW. USEF NOW INDICATES CELERY SEED (NOT IN ANY OF OUR FORMULAS) AND PAPRIKA ARE "FORBIDDEN" SO WE OFFER A SHOW HORSE FORMULA OF ALL OUT COAT ENHANCERS WITHOUT PAPRIKA OR CELERY SEED - AT THE SAME GREAT PRICE. JUST INDICATE SHOW HORSE FORMULA WHEN ORDERING.

LAME-A-WAY (a.k.a. SHARK LEGS ) ALSO COMES IN SHOW HORSE FORMULA - WITHOUT THE FORBIDDEN SUBSTANCES OF GINGER OR HAWTHORNE).

ALSO USEF HAS TOLD US THAT WITH CHEVAL'S SMALL AMOUNTS OF ANY OF THESE INGREDIENTS, IF YOU ARE USING THE REGULAR FORMULA, YOU CAN SIMPLY PULL YOUR HORSE OFF A WEEK PRIOR TO SHOWING AND WILL BE IN COMPLIANCE.

Cheval employees keep their horses on large doses of all products all year round - preferring regular formulas as those are the most effective. One week prior to showing, they pull their horses off regular formula and feed the show formula (to maintain build up in the system). The minute they leave the show grounds, they put their horses right back on the awesome original/regular formula of all the supplements.

ASPC/AMHR Rule Regarding Drugs:

Part 13 – Drugs

A. The use of stimulants, depressants, or any drug

affecting the showing of a horse in halter or

performance is strictly forbidden. Exception:

Therapeutic medication necessary for treatment of an

illness or injury. The show management and Show

Steward shall report to the ASPC/AMHR Board any

person known to have administered stimulants or

depressants. The ASPC/AMHR Board has the power

to hold a hearing regarding such use and to issue such

penalties as it deems necessary.

B. All horses shown at ASPC/AMHR shows are subject

to drug testing and failure to comply by a trainer,

owner, or agent is to be considered an admittance of

guilt.

C. All therapeutic medication given to a horse showing

must be reported to the show management with such

information as drug type, dose given, time given, etc.

Many therapeutic medications will show up positive

on a drug test and, if so, and it has not been reported,

will be considered a forbidden substance.

I hope I have provided some food for thought.

Thank you.

Karen

Awesome info Karen! I had not used it because of just hearing that it can cause a false positive. and...because I use the Rose Oil. But your post could not be any clearer. Thanks for taking the time to educate us that are new to showing! I am nervous enough of just going into the show ring. Much less...the embarassment of failing a drug test because of NOT enough information.

Missy
default_saludando.gif

I have had all of my supplements tested by a university lab, including Black As Knight and a calming supplement. These passed. But do what you want.

Thanks for the info I won't be using that one, that's for sure. I'm going to finish up my Grand Coat and I bought some Rose Oil from someone on the forum here (don't know if I can say her name so won't) so going to use that. Plus, I was giving flax seed and that is in Grand Coat as well.

Does anyone know which guidelines are used by AMHA for drug testing? Are they the USEF guidelines? If so, these are the Forbidden Substances-

[SIZE=8pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]USEF FORBIDDEN SUBSTANCES http://www.usef.org/documents/drugsMeds/US...onsPamphlet.pdf[/SIZE]
acepromazine
acetophenazine
acetylpromazine
albuterol
alfentanil
alprazolam
aminophylline
amitriptyline
amphetamines
antihistamines
apomorphine
arsenic
atropine
azaperone
barbiturates
belladonna
benperidol
benzocaine
benzodiazepines
beta blockers
bethanechol chloride
bromperidol
bumetanide
bupivacaine
buprenorphine
buspirone
butorphanol
caffeine
camphor
capsaicin
carfentanil
carprofen
chamomile
chloral hydrate
chlorbutanol
chlorpheniramine
chlorpromazine
chlorprothixene
clenbuterol
clozapine
cocaine
codeine
comfrey
cyclobenzaprine
cyproheptadine
dantrolene
demethylpyrilamine
detomidine
devil’s claw
dextromethorphan
dextromoramide
dezocine
diazepam
digoxin
diphenhydramine
dipremorphine
doxapram
doxepin
droperidol
dyphylline
ephedrine
epinephrine
epoetin alfa
erythropoetin
etamiphylline
ethacrynic acid
ethchlorvynol
ethyl alcohol
etidocaine
etodolac
etomidate
etorphine
eugenol
fenfluramine
fenspiride
fentanyl
fentiazac
fluanisone
fluoxetine
fluphenazine
furosemide
glycerol guaiacolate
glycopyrrolate
guaifenesin
guanabenz acetate
haloperidol
homatropine
hops
hydrochlorothiazide
hydrocodone
hydromorphone
hydroxyzine
imipramine
ipratropium
kava kava
ketamine
ketorolac
laurel
lavender
lemon balm
levallorphan
levorphanol
leopard’s bane
lidocaine
lithium
lorazepam
LSD
mabuterol
mazindol
meclizine
medetomidine
meperidine
mepenzolate bromide
mephentermine
mepivacaine
meprylcaine
methadone
methamphetamine
methaqualone
methyldopa
methylphenidate
metomidate
milenperone
molindone
moperone
morphine
nalbuphine
nalmefene
naloxone
nefopam
night shade
nikethamide
nitrazepam
nitroglycerin
opiates
orphenadrine citrate
oxybutynin
oxymetazoline
oxymorphone
paroxetine
passion flower
pentazocine
pentoxifylline
pergolide mesylate
phencyclidine
phenobarbital
phentermine
phenylephrine
phenylpropanolamine
phenytoin
piperacetazine
pirenperone
pramoxine
prazepam
prethcamide
prilocaine
procaine
procaine penicillin
procaterol
prochlorperazine
procyclidine
promazine
promethazine
propentofylline
propiomazine
propionylpromazine
propoxyphene
propranolol
pseudoephedrine
pyrilamine
rauwolfia
red poppy
reserpine
risperidone
romifidine
salmeterol
scopolamine
sertraline
skullcap
sodium cacodylate
spiperone
strychnine
sufentanil
sumatriptan
terbutaline sulfate
terfenadine
tetracaine
THC
theobromine
theophylline
tolmetin
tramadol
trazodone
trifluperidol
trihexyphenidyl
tripelennamine
tropicamide
valerian
vervain
xylazine
xylocaine
zolpidem

I am not sure that these are the same drugs that FEI tests for internationally. The FEI tests are extremely sensitive.

At the last Olympics 4 horses and their riders were disqualified from competition. In a previous Olympics in Athens, two gold medals in show jumping were taken away and horses were eliminated from competition.

Apparently the FEI testing has become so sensitive that a peppermint treat given to a horse showed up in a test. Chocolate treats will also show up in FEI testing because chocolate contains caffeine.http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/equestrian/story/2008/08/21/olympics-equestrain-drugs.html

If the testing is this sensitive, it would seem that even treats given to horses or other feed supplements given by owner who are unaware of the contents could also show up in the tests.

Does anyone know what tests or guidelines are used at the mini show?

Latest posts

Back