Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
Hi am new -here is my info I am a new mini owner. I have a 15 month old 30 inch pinto mini, his name is Giddy ( Git R Done) I just had him gelded, and he is the sweetest! The person I bought him from said "Oh I wouldnt even geld him he doesnt act like a stallion" . I am not breeding him so I thought gelding the best choice..

My question- I also have a full size horse Suman ( Sue You Later) who yesterday I found worms in a pile of poop ( not apples) I had wormed them both 5 weeks ago (Ivermectin) so since I had that on hand yesterday after I saw the worms I wormed with Ivermectin again, the worms were light yellow in color and about an inch long-they were moving.. What kind of worms are they?

Should I get a different kind of wormer than Ivermectim? If so what kind??

I would also like help with posting pictures and my avatar?

Thanks in advance...

I forgot to say I am from Missouri-Home of the Missouri Tigers!!

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome from west central, illinois. here's a link to help you with picture posting...

http://www.lilbeginnings.com/forum/picturepost/

as for the worms, i'm not sure but i would suspect round worms. i'll defer to the experts as far as de-worming and what you should use. i'm fairly new to minis also and wouldn't want to give you wrong information.

very wise decision to geld!!!

looking forward to seeing your pics! oh and, question...when are ya gettin' your next mini? you do know, you can't stop at one, don't you? LOL

charlene
default_smile.png

default_saludando.gif
Hi ! Welcome to the forum. from the thumb area of Michigan. The advise I give is talk to your vet about any questions you might have.
default_biggrin.png

Hey Basketmiss! Where in Missouri are you? We're in south central, just a few miles from the Arkansas line.

Melba

Melba,

I am in Columbia Missouri- Home of the Missouri Tigers!!

University of Missouri

Thanks Charlene, I went to photobucket but my computer started acting up so I have to try again to get pictures on here..

I would worm one more time with a double dose of Safeguard or Panacur, then worm about 6-8 weeks later with the ivermectin again. I don't know if it has been mentioned to you, but when buying wormer for a mini, it is recommended that you avoid Quest is any form. and latest findings are that there are worms that do not respond to treatment by ivermectin, as good as it is. so a rotation with fenbendazoles and pyrantels is pretty much recommended by all current sources.

sounds like you'll have a lot of fun, and welcome to the board!

I would definitely get your vet's recommendations because the rotation schedule can vary by region. I rotate wormers to make sure that we get all of the different types of worms. I have 4 large horses and ponies and 2 minis.

Ok when you say double dose. I should get the other wormer Safeguard or Panacur and give 2 doses? At the same time?? I just want to do what is right?

Yes I had heard not to use Quest so I wont ..

Thanks

Ok when you say double dose. I should get the other wormer Safeguard or Panacur and give 2 doses? At the same time?? I just want to do what is right?

Yes I had heard not to use Quest so I wont ..

Thanks
yes, on the fenbendazole (safeguard or panacur) give a dose for twice what your horse weighs. if in doubt, consult with your vet, to make sure that you understand correctly. they may recommend the five-day treatment of panacur, which is even more, but only if a sample determines a need for it.

Hi am new -here is my info I am a new mini owner. I have a 15 month old 30 inch pinto mini, his name is Giddy ( Git R Done) I just had him gelded, and he is the sweetest! The person I bought him from said "Oh I wouldnt even geld him he doesnt act like a stallion" . I am not breeding him so I thought gelding the best choice..

My question- I also have a full size horse Suman ( Sue You Later) who yesterday I found worms in a pile of poop ( not apples) I had wormed them both 5 weeks ago (Ivermectin) so since I had that on hand yesterday after I saw the worms I wormed with Ivermectin again, the worms were light yellow in color and about an inch long-they were moving.. What kind of worms are they?

Should I get a different kind of wormer than Ivermectim? If so what kind??

I would also like help with posting pictures and my avatar?

Thanks in advance...

I forgot to say I am from Missouri-Home of the Missouri Tigers!!
[

Latest posts

Back