need prayers and your thoughts on new filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctinsley

Reaction score
Need some help. Had a new filly born early Sunday morning. Textbook delivery, filly was up in about 20 minutes, mare dropped afterbirth in about an hour and filly was nursing. So fine, we leave them and go to bed. When I go out to feed Sunday morning the filly is just standing by mom so everything looks good. I go back out to start clipping horses for a show. After awhile I notice baby has not been nursing and has not laid down at all since I've been out there. Go to check, she has not been nursing, are is so full she is sore, so we milk the mare down and force feed baby. We make her lay down and she goes to sleep. Called vet who says to start feeding her, start on antiobiotics, mix a little sugar with milk to see if we can't jump start her. Well its now Tuesday morning baby will still not lay down unless you lay her down, did notice her bumping on mom to nurse but thats as far as it goes she will suck like crazy on the bottle, so thats what we're doing, milking mare and bottle feeding baby. Also we have noticed her eyes are puffy and she does have a discharge from them, so she apparently has something going on there, we have been washing them with eye wash (per vets instructions). Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be, we would appreciate any suggestions. We are taking her into our vets office this morning, but he is fairly new to miniatures and is good about taking an suggestions. Thanks

Prayers for your baby, maybe a vet visit would be in order so he can "see" the foal.

I am sorry to hear about your filly. The good thing is she will take the bottle. And that you

are taking her to the vet. Could she be a bit of a dummy foal, the bumping into mom made

me think of it? Or could there be some kind of brain swelling, with her eyes being bit swelled?

I hope someone who knows more will post. Wishing you the best with her, whats her name?

I will add her to my prayers to.

Vicky

Good luck with her and please keep us updated.

If she didn't get enough colostrum she may need a plasma transfusion. The fact that she's drinking fromthe bottle is very very good news. I have a lot of hope for this girl....

No advice just prayers for your filly's speedy recovery.
default_pray.gif
:

[SIZE=14pt]My friend Rachael had a filly like that two years ago... turns out she had blisters in her mouth and throat they thought from fescue toxcisity in the moms milk. She went too long before we figured out or rather the vets figured out what it was and we lost her at a week.[/SIZE]

HAve the vet check INSIDE her mouth and throat.

Lyn

I would ask your vet to do a CBC complet blood count so he can see exactly what is going on with her.I had a colt who had an infection at 2 days old&needed antibiotics for a week.Shots 3 times daily but he is fine now.Also karo syrup helps give them a jump start.I have had foals I had to teach to nurse from the mare.Hold the baby bottle under the mare near her teats to feed the baby then take it away &see if the baby will latch on to the real thing.sometimes it takes a while but they do finally get the hang of it.Good luck&keep us posted.

I will keep her in my prayers. I hope the vet can figure it out and get her all fixed up. Glad she is at least taking the bottle.

Sheri

We just returned from the vet. He did the snap test and the results were over 400 so she had received some colostrum we did the plasma transfusion, lungs sounded clear, stomach sounds good, temp normal. He put her on gent twice a day for a week and antiobiotics for her eyes. He also trimmed her eye lashes because the junk ont them was causing them to turn into her eye causing more irritation. He was suprised at how good her appetitie was but was pleased. So for now we'll keep milking mom and feeding her. Hopefully the transfusion will kick in and make her feel better.

Sounds like you headed off what could have been a disaster........Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

We've had a couple plasma transfers done over the years and you should definitely see a difference very soon.

MA

Hugs and prayers for you and your precious foal!

Sounds like you are on the right track and have a good and caring vet!!

Baby has been doing much better this afternoon. She has actually learned to lay down (she was standing all the time) before we would have to lay her down. She has been running around the stall, and I had just finished giving her the bottle and she backed up to me and kicked at me. I've been working on the nursing part and actually had her nursing for the a few minutes, had to smear milk up my whole arm and she just followed that up. Maybe by tommorrow we can get her nursing, but until then its me, mom and the bottle.

:aktion033: All sounds good! By tomorrow I bet she'll know where the faucets are!

MA

:aktion033: YAY! So glad she is doing better! Hope she continues to flourish! Sounds like you have her well on her way!

Sorry to hear about your filly, I don't have any advice, but do extend prayers & thoughts for you all.

I hope your filly pulls through this and the vet figures out what is wrong.

:aktion033: Wow that is a great update. I am so glad she is doing better. So where are the pictures

now? I can't wait to see the new bundle of joy, unless you have posted them and I missed

it. Wishing you the best with her. But will continue the prayers for her.

Vicky

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back