Need opinions/advice on a rescued mini.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniAddict21

Reaction score
I got a yearling mini colt on 10/12/12 from a guy who was keeping him in a dog lot with a dog. He owned him 5 months and in those 5 months he didn't get any hay or grass. He lived off being fed dog food twice a day. And picking at some acorns that dropped in the pen.

He had rain rot all up and down his feet and legs and on his face. He is REALLY skinny but can't tell from the pictures because of his winter coat. Since I've got him I just been feeding him roughly two handfuls of Life Stages complete (thats what my big mare is on, and I haven't but him his own feed yet). He gets free choice Timothy/Alalfa mix hay, salt block and water. But I know he needs something better to put weight on I just don't know what. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. These are pictures from when I got him, I will get some new ones as soon as this storm is passed.

stormyv.jpg

stormy2.jpg

stormy5.jpg

stormy6.jpg

stormwarning.jpg

What cutie pitudie! You need to find at the minimum a 14% protein grain (preferably pelleted) that has some fat to it. Then I would add in some soy oil or other vegetable oil and get him up to 1/2 cup a day for six weeks and re-evaluate.

Since he was just on dog food, but appears to be okay with hay now - I would have his kidneys evaluated to make sure he did not sustain any damage to his urinary tract functions.

Thanks for taking him in!

Thank goodness you got him out of that situation! You will need to go very slow with adding food to his diet to keep away from colic and/or founder. I would keep on with the free choice hay you are feeding and gradually adding more feed each day until you meet the required amount for his size and adequate weight. I would add no more than 1/2 cup of feed per day every 3-4 days. You will not be able to put weight on fast, and you don't want to.

Good luck with your little guy!+

Sorry Trace, we were posting at the same time! Good advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you!

Many studies say that alfalfa is a very good choice for starved horses. If you search the forum you will find lots of good information about rehabilitating rescued horses.

For what it's worth. I'd hold off on straight alfalfa until you see that he's drinking plenty of water and urniating well. The type of food he had and the acorns could affect his kidneys. Too much of anything (whether it's protein or calcium etc) can be passed off if the kidneys are working properly.

Good quality hay and slowly increase the pellet food whatever your choice. I know that Purina has something with high fat to help hard keepers but I don't recall the name.

I just wanted to say Thank goodness he is in your hands now. Sounds like the little guy has had a rough couple of months
default_sad.png
Keep us updated on his status. I hope you find the best food for him! Good luck & Congrats!!

I would just put him on a path of correct care and nutrition and follow whatever your vet recommends.

Good luck to the both of you and I hope he turns around for you successfully.

The free choice hay you describe sounds very wise..... Any grain/pelleted feed should be added gradually, as described previously.......

When we've had an underweight rescue, we've had good luck feeding them a senior pellet, which is 14% protein and fairly high fat content. The brand we use is "Equus", but isn't available nationally. Purina makes a senior pelleted feed which is also good. We have always started feeding a small amount and increase it every 2 or 3 days. Our REAL skinny ones ended up needing 4 to 6 cups twice a day.

Your vet should definitely check the little guy out to make sure he doesn't have kidney damage or anything else wrong, considering the awful diet he was on. Kuddos to you for getting him out of that situation!

First of all ~~ A big thank you for looking out for the little guy and bringing him home
default_smile.png

I have had great success with neglected/needs to gain weight horses with SR. Feeds either Purina SR (which according to my old guy if you soak it in warm water makes a "food all over your face good mush" (and helps get extra water into them) and have also had good results with Triple Crown SR.) Both are a complete feed, I still feed hay with my SR. feeds though.

If you haven't already, don't forget to discuss a deworming program with your vet; you'll have to start off slow, I'm sure. If if was in a dog kennel and eating dog food, he likely wasn't dewormed, so that'll need to be taken care of.

You might also consider a good probiotic to help out his digestive system.

You do need to go slow and carefully bringing this poor little guy back to correct weight/feeding and you would be wise to have a vet involved. I'second the alfalfa as a good hay choice but be careful with complete or pelleted feeds until he is in a little better condition. He should be fed little and often!!! As many handfuls of hay throughout the day as you can possibly manage and plenty of fresh water available at all times. Free choice hay is actually not the best idea in this instance because he may tend to bolt the hay down instead of 'grazing' and his digestive system is likely compromised because of his previous diet which could cause problems for him. You could also talk to a nutritionist - most feed stores can give you contact info for one. I would have a fecal count done and worm appropriately - the vet can advise you on that. He really doesn't need the stress of incorrect or over dosi worming right now. Good luck and post photos of him once you have him back in the pink of health!!!

I agree with Lori (milo) although I am a great one for free choice it actually is not a good idea with rescues, unless you could build him a slow feeder box (I appreciate that not everyone is in a position to go out every two hours and put more hay in!!) then he could graze his hay as he should do. Although you have got a lot of really good advice here I can see that a lot of it is conflicting, so I shall not add my own but strongly suggest you get the advice of a nutritionist and you stick to the routine s/he gives you for at least a month before re-evaluating him.

He needs worming, and you need a Vet on board for that, he is too thin to try it on your own.

Lastly, bless you for taking him in, the man is a moron!!

Back