Necropsy Results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
Vet called today with results - nothing specific as far as bacteria, but some kind of bacteria proliferated and destroyed the lining of her large colon. She said it was acute and - easing my guilt I guess - that she wouldn't have shown much sign before, esp as she was a pretty stoic mare. Not much information really, it's what they expected to find. I would like to know what kind of bacteria, whether or not it would make a difference in terms of prevention.

I've lost horses before, some affect you more than others. Sassy was always first to eat out of 15 mares in the pasture, and I just haven't been able to feed anyone from her feedpan yet.
default_no.gif

Jan

I know just where you are coming from. I've got a perfectly good halter that I just can't use for anyone else here
default_sad.png

Jan,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard losing any horse, but espically when it is hard to tell what caused it. I'm sure she will be treasured in your heart forever.

Chelsie

"They were ours as a gift, but never to keep,

As they close their eyes forever to sleep.

Their spirits unbound,

On silver wings they fly.

A million white horses,

Against the blue sky.

Look up into heaven,

You'll see them above.

The horses we lost,

The horses we loved.

Manes and tails flowing,

As they gallop through time,

They were never yours- they were never mine.

Don't cry for the horses,

They'll be back some day.

When our time is gone,

They will show us the way.

Do you hear that soft nicker?

Close to your ear?

Don't cry for the horses,

Love the ones that are here."

Jan, I'm so sorry Sassy's test results didn't reveal much. To me (for what it's worth) it sounds kind of like salmonella.

Rita

Oh I read in Horse Illustrated that 130 mustangs died at a BLM facility in northern Nevada because of salmonella last year.

I remember your first post.
default_no.gif
I'm so sorry you lost your Sassy, it sounds like there wasn't much you could have done. Take care of yourself. {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I'm so sorry about the loss of Sassy! I'm thankful your vet did have some answers. I know nothing "helps" but it makes it worse when you don't know any of the reasons something like this happened.

To me (for what it's worth) it sounds kind of like salmonella.
Certainly could be. Vets first thought was clostridia, but they couldn't confirm it. Either way, results are the same.
default_sad.png
No way of knowing what triggered the bacteria to proliferate, vet said stress can do that. She was in a fairly closed herd, only one mare (not mine) added in recent months and she's a b***** that challenged and kicked everyone. I'm sure that didn't help out. I haven't been able to get her moved.
default_wacko.png

Jan

I understand your loss. Yesterday morning I went out to feed my horses and found my mini yearling dead. She was fine the night before. Happy and seemed eager to eat. I haven't a clue what happened. I'm still in shock. My other mini is pretty upset (her buddy). I hope to find her another buddy but right now I'm just so sad...

I'm so very sorry for your loss........ I'm afraid I missed your earlier post, Jan. Losing an adult member of your herd is like losing a family member. I can relate.

Shasta, I'm so sorry too for your loss. Do you have any clue as to what happened to your yearling?

Jan

Latest posts

Back