Ladies: Antibiotic Resistant Bladder Infections and Raw Chicken

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
My mom told me about this the other day, and I thought it would be a good idea to pass it along. I've never had a bladder infection but I know they are not uncommon. H and I each chicken breast probably 5x a week so I handle a lot of raw chicken and bet many of you do as well.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/3411/20120712/chickens-spreading-antibiotic-resistant-bacteria.htm

Are Chickens Spreading Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria?

A recent spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria causing hard to treat bladder infections in women may be caused by chickens, according to a new report by ABC News. Researchers found that the drug resistant E. coli in chickens may be transferred to humans, resulting in bladder infections, mainly in women.

"What this new research shows is, we may in fact know where it's [the antibiotic-resistant bladder infections] coming from. It may be coming from antibiotics used in agriculture," Maryn McKenna, a reporter for Food & Environment Reporting Network, which conducted the investigation, told ABC News.

Antibiotics are given to poultry to speed growth and prevent disease. I=t's not unheard of that chickens could spread antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Fluoroquinolones are frequently prescribed to humans under names such as Aelox, Cipro and Levaquin to treat bacterial infections. However, its use in poultry was increasing the antibiotic-resistance ofCampylobacter, a bacterium that causes fever, abdominal cramps and bloody stools, according to the FDA. The organization banned its use in 2005.

But just how do antibiotics lead to drug-resistant bacteria?

Antibiotics work by killing susceptible bacteria, but some microbes can survive because of an ability to neutralize or avoid an antibiotic. Resistant strains, either naturally or through mutations, survive, multiply and replace bacteria destroyed by antibiotics.

"Bacteria that were at one time susceptible to an antibiotic can acquire resistance through mutation of their genetic material or by acquiring pieces of DNA that code for the resistance properties from other bacteria," according to the CDC website. "The DNA that codes for resistance can be grouped in a single easily transferable package. This means that bacteria can become resistant to many antimicrobial agents because of the transfer of one piece of DNA."

The biggest contributor to bacteria drug resistance is the over-prescription of antibiotics, according to the CDC. Antibiotics are frequently prescribed for viruses, simply because healthcare providers think patients expect them. The common cold is the most common reason antibiotics are prescribed, despite the fact that antibiotics do not affect viruses.

Bacteria transmission occurs when you do not handle raw chicken properly or if you undercook the chicken, according to the report. Amee Manges, epidemiologist at McGill University in Montreal, told ABC News that chickens are pumped full of antibiotics, so it's not surprise they are contributing to the spread of antibiotics resistant bacteria.

"We're particularly interested in chickens. They, in many cases, are getting drugs from the time that they were in an egg all the way up to the time they are slaughtered," she said.

However, Randall Singer, DVM, associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Minnesota's Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, said in a National Chicken Council statement that he is unsure whether the bacteria actually originated in poultry.

"The studies in question make the assumption that humans carrying these E. coli acquired them from poultry. The strains did not originate in poultry and likely entered these farms from sources originating in human communities," he said. "Perhaps most importantly, the potential transmission of antibiotic resistant E. coli to humans says nothing about why these E. coli are antibiotic resistant in the first place. The resistances observed in these E. coli are common globally and are unlikely to be attributed to chickens given the few antibiotics available for use in poultry in the U.S."

2312-chicken.jpg

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/3411/20120712/chickens-spreading-antibiotic-resistant-bacteria.htm

Great article, Jill! And just so everyone knows, ALL chicken have e.coli and other bacteria. Please, please, please cook your chicken to at least 170 degrees in the middle. Same goes for ground beef. If there is any pink in it, DO NOT eat it (whole chunks of beef/pork are ok if pink, like steak and roast)! Great way to get sick. Get the "stomach flu" every once in a while? There is actually no such thing. Influenza is influenza and it doesnt often cause stomach upset. Gastroenteritis does and is the cause for over 90% of "stomach flu" cases. That's caused by "bad" bacteria which almost always comes from the food you eat.

I am soooo paranoid from cooking and eating chicken: I got food posioning from KFC once and that's done it for me. I NEVER want to be that sick again! So I RARELY eat chicken prepared by anyone but me. When I do cook it, I make sure the internal temp is over 185º, even in the 200º range!

Even eating out is a chore- my brain works overtime wondering if this is OK, or that is OK, or does that look right, or.... OCD I am, when it comes to my food!!

I would never eat undercooked chicken, but I think the issue has been linked to the HANDLING of raw chicken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming by that they mean not washing hands properly, not using gloves if you have a cut, and not cleaning areas the raw chicken has touched?

ML-I do too, except whole cuts. I helped with a few research projects with whole cuts of steak. I am perfectly content eating steak rare as long as the outside has been cooked as that's the only area that has been into contact with microbes. Poultry is a different story and ground beef has a larger area that comes into contact with microbes which is why it really needs to be cooked to no pink. But those steaks, I like mine med rare
default_smile.png

I do too, ML. I get too paranoid otherwise!

Lol, Jill! My meat science professors would have loved to have you in their class. There is much more taste the more rare you keep your steak, but medium rare was as far as any of us students would go so they were a little disappointed during the taste testing lab we had.

I make my husband handle the raw chicken 9 times out of 10, always have I just hate too, hate the slime feeling. Handling raw pork and beef doesn't bother me but something about the chicken....maybe it's also a mental thing as raw chicken still looks like an animal as far as the form, especially with the skin on, or the legs/wings.

I like all my meat well done except beef steaks and tuna steaks...rare it is!

default_eat.gif
Harvey always eats his steak well done and I always eat mine extra rare. And, he's had 25 years of me showing him mine and asking if he's sure he doesn't want to try it. "Cold and blue" inside which he thinks is gross
default_eat.gif

Latest posts

Back