neck sweating gel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
I need to find a neck sweating product but not sure which one is the best. I need something that works fairly quickly and does not hurt or bleach the neck. What products do you guys use?

I need to get my mares neck sweated some. Noticed at the show that it was kind of thick in areas. I want to get her ready for a rated show in June.

Here is a picture of her from this weekends show I went to.

27949_534601348952_150101812_31601802_4240280_n.jpg

27949_534601363922_150101812_31601805_1465997_n.jpg

Thanks,

Alisha

Will be interesting to see what everyone thinks but for the past couple of weeks I've been using World Champion Neat Neck. I like the results so far. My stallion had these small little rolls on his neck and a lot of that has gone now that I've been using this. His neck could still use some work but I can tell a big difference already.

congrats on your ribbons by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like using chemicals because they can do some real damage that are difficult if not impossible to repair. I'd just use a neck sweat without any gel.

I just bought a neck wrap and a throat sweat. What is the best way to get the max. effect using just the sweats? Should I keep them on her 24/7 or only when I work her?

Thanks,

Alisha

None, if you want extra sweating thats safe, use a black trash bag under your neck sweats when you work your horse. After working, ours stand tied about an hour to continue to sweat and then cool down slowly. Keep your regular sweats on all the time, with the exception of the day you wash the sweats. We also only work our halter horses every other day for about 15 minutes.

Please please be careful. This stuff can be so dangerous. I cant tell you how many horses I saw showing last year with burnt necks. One of them I swear had 2nd degree burns on her neck.

And be sure they are not too tight or you will restrict their oxygen. And if they are not fitted right it will leave the tell tale line of a neck sweat.

To be effective they have to be used 24-7 so you really need at least 2 so that you can be washing one while ones on

Kay

Under working sweats, just use plain old hot water. I swear by it. No worries about reactons either.

Alisha514, use the straight neoprene ones when you are working her. Put them on one hour before she goes out so that she can warm up under them, work her, and then let her stand in them for an hour after she works. When they come off, rinse her neck with water to get the salt out of the coat, let her dry COMPLETELY and then put on the overnight sweat, the one with fleece lining. Keep an eye on the overnight sweats, they aren't there to sweat the horse, they are there to keep the sweated area compressed. If the horse starts sweating under the overnight wrap, take it off! You can end up with a blistered horse if you don't. Happy sweating!

I only use it when I'm working him and then wash it off with soap and water....I guess I never thought that it could do damage but it makes sense....I'll try the trash bag way from now on....so glad you asked about it

Not to mention that some of the gels will actually mis-color your horse. We showed one last year with a green neck...yea it was really nice. So be careful of using chemicals, the burning is a HUGE risk and add the chance to mis-color your horse...i'd just avoid them.

Under working sweats, just use plain old hot water. I swear by it. No worries about reactons either.

Alisha514, use the straight neoprene ones when you are working her. Put them on one hour before she goes out so that she can warm up under them, work her, and then let her stand in them for an hour after she works. When they come off, rinse her neck with water to get the salt out of the coat, let her dry COMPLETELY and then put on the overnight sweat, the one with fleece lining. Keep an eye on the overnight sweats, they aren't there to sweat the horse, they are there to keep the sweated area compressed. If the horse starts sweating under the overnight wrap, take it off! You can end up with a blistered horse if you don't. Happy sweating!

Ok...you've peaked my interest

What do you mean you use hot water? Do you soak your sweats before you put them on? or Do you put the hot water on then the sweat? I am confused. We may try this if it works and if you can explain more about it? I have never heard this.

Sure. You just sponge hot water (not so hot that it is uncomfortable to the horse, but just as hot as you can without causing discomfort) and immediately put the sweats on the horse. It does a couple of things. First, it immediately starts to warm the area covered by the sweat and keeps the heat trapped under the sweat so your horse will sweat more quickly. Second, it wets the hair which allows the sweat to start running more quickly. It works like a charm, doesn't do any damage to the hair shaft, and doesn't damage the sweats either. It is important to dip your sweats in a betadine/water solution and let them air dry after use to avoid the growth of bacteria on the sweat, but this is true for your sweats whether you use a product, water, or just use them bare.

Latest posts

Back