My son is an addict

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
Well he's addicted...there's no doubt. There's a couple of things he's addicted to (pole vault..foxes...) but this is the most bizarre...

lol

my 15 year old just got back from a week 300 miles off the Hawaiian Island coast diving with Requiem sharks (that's him in the shark cage)

matt.jpg

Hubby and son decided it was going to be father son time and off they went last week.

I think I share his addiction too
default_wacko.png

Anyone else here addicted to sharks (and I don't mean on the dinner plate lol) I'm thinking of setting up a shark tank and seeing if I can get a captive breeding program going.....anyone else into breeding sharks?????

Share your story if you are...I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome.... is he addicted to sharks or adrenaline?
default_smile.png
Looks like a rush, but I think I'll stay addicted to hermit crabs.... I don't think they can eat you. :D

Awesome.... is he addicted to sharks or adrenaline?
default_smile.png
Looks like a rush, but I think I'll stay addicted to hermit crabs.... I don't think they can eat you. :D
HAHAH never thought about the adrenaline....he is an awesome pole vaulter...I guess if you can vault 14 feet in the air...upside down and backwards you gotta be a "little diferent" lol. Maybe he needs a sedative lol.
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif

You don't know the half of it. My dad used to think I had a death wish but I can't help it, I love sharks and been around them my entire life. Had my first encounter with them at Race Point in Cape Cod when I was just a little kid and I was hooked for life and the habit grew to big proportions. Not saying they haven't scared me, yes they have, but I just can't seem to get enough of them and then I'd go back for more. I love to watch them and touch them and examine them and I could do that for hours. I'd like to try that shark cage.

I also had a salt water tank with irredecent sharks in it. Loved to watch them stand on their nose and play dead and float in the water for me.

Every summer beginning from Memorial Day to Labor Day every single day I watch JAWS. Its not like I sit in front of the TV and do nothing else, but I turn it on while I do stuff here. I have all four JAWS in DVD and also a whole pile in VCR for backup, just in case and rotate them. Here is my shrine to JAWS as its on the credenza right now as we speak. You didn't think I was kidding you did I?

JAWS.png

OH MY GOODNESS hahahahaha Marty... I started reading your thread and was just taking it all in....until I saw your picture HAHAHAH WOW>...you really ARE an addict too. Okay, I've never heard of irridescent sharks...tell me more about them...size , requirements etc. I know there are a species of freshwater fish called sharks (kind of look like realy ones) but have no realtionship to "real" saltwater sharks at all. I'd love to hear more about your saltwater ones.

He came back with some incredible pictures but of course..now he's worse than ever lol.

edited to say....."Go cage diving Marty...do it GF...do it
default_biggrin.png
default_smile.png
"

I think the irredecents were in a fresh water tank now that I think about it but not possitive, don't really remember but we did have other sharks in salt water tanks. The irredecents are insane. They are really shinny and fun to watch. They would dance for me by standing on their noses and flip up and down. Their idea of playing dead was crazy too because they'd convince you they were really dead when they were just back floating or laying on the bottom of the tank. Mine knew me and called me mommy.

Here's some links......

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish,%20Pangassius.htm

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/716/

http://centralpets.com/animals/fish/freshw...sh/fwf4491.html

Here's some more of the pics he took...just for you Marty

matt1.jpg

matt2.jpg

matt3.jpg

matt5.jpg

matt6.jpg

Okay find out about your saltwater pets for me....please
default_biggrin.png

We had a Brown Banded Bamboo Shark as a pet....we woke up on morning to find him IN the kitchen sink...all dried up and dead : whah, whah, whah....I was SOOOOO sad. We'd hatched him from an egg and hand fed him everyday....next time I'm making sure there is a top on the tank.

OOH yummy I love that
default_new_shocked.gif

Okay find out about your saltwater pets for me....please

I would if I could but I can't because Michael was the one that did all the tanks and knew everything about it all.

Had a one eyed pirahanna named Captain Ron that ate hamburger and a beluga whale named Gorgeous and the colorful ones that were blue and yellow were salt water.

Beautiful. How big was your tank (the one you had the Brown Banded Bamboo Shark in)?

Oh no problem...
default_biggrin.png
So Michael shared your fishy love too huh? Cool
default_smile.png
...I'm sorry kiddo...I have to send you a big momma (((((HUG))))))

I'm still in awe over your Jaws collection
default_rolleyes.gif

Beautiful. How big was your tank (the one you had the Brown Banded Bamboo Shark in)?
It was only a 29 gallon that we were using as a nursery tank until he was hatched and feeding well. We hadthe egg for about 6 months and then had the shark for about 4 months. He was about 7 inches long when he decided to sink surf ';-( It was sad. Sometimes it's hard to get them to eat but we made his food ourselves. We bought fish, shrimp, octopus, scallops, crab squid etc added selcon for extra vitamins and blended it up. We then put it into a baking tray in unflavored gellatin and froze it. They're active feeders at night and all we can think is he jumped and wriggled...all the way to the sink. Needless to say there were many tears shed. I HATE to see any animal have a shortened life through no fault of it's own.

Just for anyone wondering....I only buy captive raised/bred and had an 800 gallon rubbermaid stocktank all ready for him to move up to.

It was only a 29 gallon that we were using as a nursery tank until he was hatched and feeding well. We hadthe egg for about 6 months and then had the shark for about 4 months. He was about 7 inches long when he decided to sink surf ';-( It was sad. Sometimes it's hard to get them to eat but we made his food ourselves. We bought fish, shrimp, octopus, scallops, crab squid etc added selcon for extra vitamins and blended it up. We then put it into a baking tray in unflavored gellatin and froze it. They're active feeders at night and all we can think is he jumped and wriggled...all the way to the sink. Needless to say there were many tears shed. I HATE to see any animal have a shortened life through no fault of it's own.

Just for anyone wondering....I only buy captive raised/bred and had an 800 gallon rubbermaid stocktank all ready for him to move up to.
default_no.gif
So...how much does an egg cost (if you don't mind me asking)? And it takes 6 months to hatch (do you get it "freshly laid")? Interesting.

thats really cool i have swam with sting rays and had hermit crabs.
default_laugh.png

Ok you getting get me in the water for nothing that is a promise, BUT I do so remember that BEAUTIFUL water in Hawaii! SO PRETTY! Your son is VERY brave.
default_new_shocked.gif

default_no.gif
So...how much does an egg cost (if you don't mind me asking)? And it takes 6 months to hatch (do you get it "freshly laid")? Interesting.
Eggs are very cheep...they vary between $30-$60. There's one place that I know of that captive breeds a number of the smaller species (can't find the link at the moment) You can get them from freshly laid to almost ready to hatch. Sometimes buying a newly eating pup is the way to go because a lot just won't eat.

If you're interested in getting one let me know and I can fill you in on what you need to keep them. Sharks are preditory and very high polluters. You have to have a massive filtration system to keep their water nice.

Brown banded bamboo sharks are stunning as babies...black and white stripes but the stripes fade after a year and they are pretty much brown all over. Non of the sharks that can be kept are what you'd call "interesting". They're all the very small sharks (still 2 - 4 ft long as adults) found around reefs and are mainly nocturnal. During the day they will sleep !

ALso ...NEVER take advice from a pet store on getting one (they all have access from their suppliers)...every pet shop I've ever spoken to says they only grow to a foot long...RUBBISH...they will be that big at just one year
default_wacko.png
ALso if you house them with anything smaller...well basically "lunch" lol.

They are incredible fish ( if you love sharks ) and their beauty gives me goosebumps. They become tame and will feed from your hands.

Wish I could find pics of mine but I have a new computer and the pics aren't on it. (There are some on youtube)

You all have fun with that, I'll stay with pets that don't want me for lunch LOL. I loved having a fish tank and kind of want to do a salt water tank one of these days...maybe someday when I don't have a barn full of horses to take care of.
default_smile.png

Jan

You all have fun with that, I'll stay with pets that don't want me for lunch LOL. I loved having a fish tank and kind of want to do a salt water tank one of these days...maybe someday when I don't have a barn full of horses to take care of.
default_smile.png
Jan
Let me know if you need any help with setting up your saltwater
default_biggrin.png
Here's a pic of my reef

002a.jpg

The lights just came on so things haven't opened up very much. I love saltwater tanks - everything has such eye popping colors.

Back