My new colt is here!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we can all be happy that the bad days are gone for these 7 horses and they are now in new

good homes. What is done is done and time will heal all.

Thank God it is all over and hope to hear that Sonrise is doing well soon.

I think unfortunatly alot of people fail to realize just how deceiving those winter fuzzies can be to .I just bought 3 minis in Jan. and looking at them their weight looked fine,needed wormed,but once you touched them it was obvious they were under weight
default_no.gif
. The minis owner did'nt have a clue what was going on under all that hair. Im glad those horses are getting the care they deserve
default_smile.png

Look at this picture and my avatar........

scan0001.jpg

Current condition below. Granted, you cant feel him like I can...I can feel every bone in his little body...

Pokey016.jpg

Pokey006.jpg

Pokey007.jpg

Look at this picture and my avatar........
scan0001.jpg

Current condition below. Granted, you cant feel him like I can...I can feel every bone in his little body...

Pokey016.jpg

Pokey006.jpg

Pokey007.jpg
Well, if you ever need a babysitter for the little tyke he can come here and play
default_wub.png

Pokey007.jpg

Without handling him, he does not look that bad. How big is he? looks tiny?

Oh I see he is only 24"

I give him a couple of weeks and he should be fine.

He sure has a lot of winter coat.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Viki,

Best of Luck with Sonrise. By summer I hope you have him stronger and back to his spunky self.

We are all rooting for you both.

Now that everyone has had a chance to see the pictures of him as a healthy foal before he left here last summer and now in this weakened state it will be great to see his progress in recovering.

We will keep you both in our prayers that he once again is restored to his beautiful spunky self.

When he was here he was such a lover. Always ready to cuddle.

M.A.

He sure is a cutie pie!!
default_wub.png
Winter woolies can fool lots of people! I'm always digging through hair and checking ribs and hips!! I think he's gonna turn around just fine. Congratulations on that cute colorful colt!

It really goes to show you how fooled you can be when they have winter coats!! To a newbie's eye he does not look that bad, but someone with experience can see the subtle signs over the woolies!! That should be the first thing that needs to be told to new buyers is get your hands on the body during the winter!! Keep checking them in the winter!! Looks are deceiving!!
default_no.gif

Best of luck with your guy, can't wait to see pics in a couple of weeks!!!!

Unfortunately, the picture doesn't show how poor the colt really is.

If he didn't have the hair, you could see that he is as bad as the horse in this picture.

henneke1.jpg

However, he is bright and spunky today and with plenty of good food, he will be healthy again!

Thanks for the post Becky! That is EXACTLY what we are feeling under his hair. EXACTLY! He's been out twice today for a little exercise. First time he bucked some. 2nd time he just wanted to walk around. He'll come along.

Viki

Reminder, your looking at a YEARLING, not a weanling. He's 10 months old now.....

The Case Family post said it best -- it is deceiving to look at our little guys in the winter and think that they are plump -- sadly the worse off they get often they look even "fatter" - think "Biafra War Orphan" look here with the bloated belly, but stick thin everywhere else.

SELLERS -- it is OUR responsibility to inform the Buyer about care and feeding of miniatures. So often these are cases of purely innocent people who truly did not know that they were doing something wrong. PLEASE don't jump the seller unless you yourself are very instructional to ALL the new buyers that come your way. Yes, there are people out there that shouldn't own animals at all, but by far the unknowing outnumber the guilty -- so, how about taking it upon each and every one of us to be sure to inform all new people about the feeding program that our beloved little horses will be needing as they transition to their new homes and grow -- remember that the yearling year is a huge growth year and it is easy to make the mistake of underfeeding the weanling/yearling.

Thanks to all -- best of luck with your new little fellow, I am sure that he will be just fine with your loving care.

Stacy

So sorry about your little fella, glad he found his way to your home.

You would be surpized at how many animals we have bought from people, that should know better, and they come to our home, very thin, and full of worms. I mean how cheap is wormer!?!?
default_new_shocked.gif
Glad he is in good hand now, best of luck

Reminder, your looking at a YEARLING, not a weanling. He's 10 months old now.....

Viki,

You make a great point. He looks like a YOUNG weanling, not near a yearling.
default_no.gif
Poor little guy, but I'm optimistic about his recovery.

VIki-

He is blessed to have you now
default_wub.png
We will be looking forward to future pics of a healthy horse. I am glad he got to you in the nick of time.

Peggy

Here is a picture diary I kept of an old mare that I rescued last year Easter Sunday - very early March.

The day of rescue - Easter Sunday 2008 Don't let all that hair fool you - she was a complete rack of bones. Vet scaled her at a body score of 2!

DSCN2919.JPG

The next photo was taken after her bath Memorial weekend May 2008 - TWO AND A HALF MONTHS after rescue - so if you can only imagine what she looked like under the hair in the photo above. Just want newbies to really see how hair is so deceiving to the eye.

DSCN3148.JPG

DSCN3150.JPG

Now here she is in August 2008
default_smile.png

DSCN3420.JPG

And September 2008 - She has now been adopted by a WONDERFUL woman and is living out her days in a warmer state! This mare was 35 years old and did not deserve this. No horse deserves to be starved!

DSCN3582.JPG

Vicki - your little guy will do great - I'm so glad that all the horses are now in a safe place.

Thanks for posting your pictures Connie! My little guy scored a 1! So, you can just imagine what's not under all his hair! Your mare looks so great! What a great job you did!

Viki

This is a very educational post. I am so sorry that this happened to your little guy. That is very scarry! After seeing the picture and getting over the inital shock of all of this one thought came to mind: BOY IS HE GOING TO BE CUTE! I cant wait to see him.
default_wub.png

The hair can be a little misleading but the answer to that is don't look at the hair!!

Look at the way his legs are straight and strong in his foal picture, look at the way that that picture shows a well fed, well conformed animal with a good neck and a normal weanling head.

Now look again at the "today" pictures.

His legs are weak and he is atrociously cow hocked.

His neck is sagging.

His head looks strange (hair grows and sticks out strangely on an emaciated animal, it has that "staring" quality that makes certain areas look deformed)

His fetlocks and pasterns are weak.

This is, quite obviously, a horse that is nothing short of emaciated.

Now I am going to say something a little radical (
default_smile.png
) and it is going to annoy, possibly upset some people......

If you do not know enough about horses to not be able to judge the condition they are in you should not own them.

It is as simple, to me, as that.

No-one, absolutely NO-ONE has a God given right to own animals.

It is a privilege.

I just hope this person now realises this .

I just cannot, for the life of me, understand how they could have allowed this to happen.Even if they did not understand that the horse was fluffy, they quite obviously have not been feeding it at all, and for some time.....even if they could not see through the fluff, surely to God they understood that horses need to be fed?????

Latest posts

Back