My new colt is here!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry to hear this about your new little boy.
default_no.gif
I think posting pictures and your plan to nurse him back to health could be a very good learning tool for others including myself. Poor little sweetie, give him a kiss on his velvety muzzle for me.

default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif
Lots of prayers, hugs and kisses sent your way for you BOTH!!!!!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
default_cheekkiss.gif
:CheekKiss

I should really like to see the pictures, if you do not feel happy about posting them (although I think quite a few of us would like to see) could you e-mail them to me??

I am just so glad that he found you....just curious but how did all this come about??

Is there another thread I should be reading??

sending
default_pray.gif
for you new colt.

Maybe when he is looking better and doing well, you can show us the before and after.

Bless you for keeping him, some people would have sent him back.
default_no.gif

Sending prayers for your little guy.

default_wub.png
Vicki, was great visiting with you about Sonny, his mommy and I will pray for him, please keep me informed, my email is [email protected] Give Sonny hugs and kisses from us Lol

I'll post pictures later today. I'll take them when he and I got out in the yard to stretch his legs. He's in a quaranteen stall now so has to be taken out for exercise.
default_smile.png
As for exercise, just a little at a time. Recovery in all area's will be slow.

Viki

Viki,

A million
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
your way.

Nice to have good friends and good vets in your corner to help the little one.

HI everyone,
default_no.gif

I am just sick to find out that my precious little one, Sonny, that I sold late last summer is in such bad condition. He was such a beautiful little guy when he left here. Someone had just informed me lately that he was sold and that he was very thin. I was not aware that he was in such bad condition though. When the new owner purchased him he had taken him to a show a few weeks after he had gotten him and he did really well at the show, placing high in the ribbons.

From this point on he must have taken a down hill slide by not being fed like he should have been.

In all my years of selling horses this is the first time I have had horses that were not taken care of the way they deserve to be cared for. I treat my horses like members of our family. They are all fed, wormed, vaccinated, and huged and cuddled.

When I was reading all your posts on him I sat here and just cried. I feel soooooooooo awful about this.

If the new owner was having problems he should have contacted me or someone for help. I had talked to him a couple of times after he had purchased them and he said things were going good but that the horses he had purchased from us (7 of them) had not started to mingle with his other horses)

Now after hearing about Sonny, I bet his other horses were keeping the 7 new ones away from hay and feed. If this were the case he should have been putting hay and feed in an area that those 7 horses could have gotten food. That should not have been that hard to figure out.

When I found out that the horses he had gotten from us had been not fed properly I contacted him and he appologized and said that he had gotten to many horses at one time and his Mom had died and it was to much at once. I can't really understand that if you go to feed a horse it doesn't take any more time to feed them the proper amount than it does to feed them just a little.

I am sooooooooooooo glad that he is now in a home that he will recieve the proper care. Let's all pray that he will again be that beautiful little colt that I sold last summer.

Heart broken here.

I wish I was more computer savy so I could post pictures of him that I took the week he left our Ranch. I will send some to TC MINIS SO maybe she can post them for you all to see how pretty he was when he left here.

This is so sad all around. I won't presume to know what happened, but I'm relieved this little guy is getting help. I wonder what is happening to all the others and if they too are getting help.
default_unsure.png
I pray they are.

I would be happy to post before/after pictures and in about 90 days, better after!
default_wub.png
I have help coming this afternoon for the pictures.

D&M please email me those photos!

Viki

Last edited by a moderator:
As a breeder that's always my worst fear when I sell a horse. I love my horses so much and I'll go without before they will!

Prayers for your little guy!
default_pray.gif
:pray I'm hoping since he's so young that he'll turn around quickly. I too would like to see some pics.

This is so sad all around. I won't presume to know what happened, but I'm relieved this little guy is getting help. I wonder what is happening to all the others and if they too are getting help.
default_unsure.png
I pray they are.
I bought Sonny's dam and she is about 75 lbs. underweight, but we are slowly working on fattening her up.

default_unsure.png
I pray they are.

I was told by someone to check this post out. How terribly sad! Marilyn of Gemstone, that produced this colt before selling, loves her horses and they have always had great care. I am sure she is heartbroken. I appreciate that you have posted as this will be a place I will not knowingly sell a horse. Things can happen but a person can find a way to take care of their animals even if they have to give them away to a good home. I am sure there are farmers with hay that would have helped in this situation had they known about it. I pray the other horses have now been sold to new homes, I can't imagine Iowa winters with little food for these poor creatures. Just no excuse. Good luck and keep us posted. I am just sick to read this. Lavonne

HI,

I have been informed that all the horses we sold him have been sold and are in new GOOD homes now. They too were thin when they got to the new owners.

Yes this is always my fear to that when you sell a horse that the new owner will not take good care of them.

This just goes to show how fast a horse can go down if not taken care of properly.

T G they are all out of that bad situation

Gemstone...I am so happy you followed up and found out they are out of that home...Kudos to you as it has to be heartbreaking to find out your babies were treated so poorly
default_no.gif

I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of good wishes, support and encouragment! As I've said, I will post pictures later today. Sonny (NKA Pokey) is bright and alert today, eating & drinking well. He's on the long road to recovery. One day he WILL fulfill the dreams of myself and his breeder!
default_wub.png

From what I am hearing from the seller...he is unaware he has a problem. He needs A LOT of educating.

Viki

Lavonne this is true, the winter was very harsh and if not fed right they would have had a very hard time of it.

I just can't imagine how hard this must have been for them.

It just breaks my heart since they were so used to being babied around here.

My horses are all brought in every night and they have a loafing shed to go into during the day in the winter if it is cool out, and some days if it's to cold I just put them out for a little while for exersize and put them back in.

I am so glad they all have good homes.

Lavonne this is true, the winter was very harsh and if not fed right they would have had a very hard time of it.I just can't imagine how hard this must have been for them.

It just breaks my heart since they were so used to being babied around here.

My horses are all brought in every night and they have a loafing shed to go into during the day in the winter if it is cool out, and some days if it's to cold I just put them out for a little while for exersize and put them back in.

I am so glad they all have good homes.
Things can happen, and the buyer has found new homes for all.

I would just like to be
default_pray.gif
for this little colt for a fast and safe recovery.

No blame here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back