My jerald cart tires went flat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feather1414

Reaction score
So my tires are flat, and last time we went to a bike shop and couldn't find tubes to match, had to buy two off a competitor who bought them from Jerald.

Its a jerald closed wheel show pleasure cart, standard size as far as I know.

How big do I need to get the tubes? Measurements?

Is it possible to buy them at a bike shop? I have a show on Friday and time is running out!

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to get tubes at a bike shop, but maybe all you need is to put air in them! Or maybe a patch would fix you up. Try a bike shop, because they will at least have the pump (make sure it has the right fitting for your tubes) and patch kit, and may have the tubes in the size you need.

I get my Houghton tire tubes at Wal-mart - a 20" bike tube. Found a bunch on clearance and now have about 20 tubes. Since the Jerald are a standard 20" should be able to use them for those tires also.

Look on the side of the tire. There should be some numbers like 20x2.125 or 24x2.125. These numbers tell the size of the tire and the tube you will need to buy. I have had some problems with new tires holding air on the Jeralds. They seem to be notorious for tires going flat. I would try just pumping them up to the proper air pressure. That is also listed on the side of the tire There is a number followed by PSI. I had a hard time finding the tubes at a bike shop for the 24's. It seems that bikes don't use 24 inch tires any more. Estate Horse supply has the tubes you need.

Ron

If you want them not to leak as easily, you can get kevlar tubes at wal-mart in the 20" size. They cost about $6 bucks.

I replaced all of my air tubes with solid foam ones. With the stickers here, the solid tubes are a life saver! I bought them at WalMart. They were hard to find (I went to 5 different ones before I found them) but worth it. They cost about $20 each but there is no more air to pump or leak! They are sized just like the innertubes for bikes and are usually right next to them. The box is red, but I can't remember the brand or anything else...sorry.

My husband Tim repairs carts (we sold Houghton & Superior carts for years) and wanted to mention...when replacing your tubes, remember to check the rim strip...looks like a 1/2" wide black rubber band on the inside of the wheel. The rim strip keeps the spoke ends (spoke nipples) from rubbing the tube and causing a hole in your tube.

Also, the weather...temperature affects the air pressure in your tires...like for every 10 degrees of temperature change, you can loose upto 1 lb of air per day. (thats why some car tire stores offer nitrogen filled tires because it regulates this problem)

Always make sure you put the caps back on your tube to keep dirt out of the valve stem.

A loose spoke in your wheel can cause the spoke nipples to back off (brass end that holds the spoke in the wheel) so making sure you dont have a loose spoke is a good check too. Just few troubleshooting ideas to avoid flats. If you need any help, he'll be in Tulsa with Star Lake Tack

Latest posts

Back