My horses have suddenly become termites!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
My drylotted horses normally chew the barn a little from time to time, evidence of that is pretty easy to see. But just all of the sudden they are constantly chewing unless they have hay in front of them. Feed hasn't changed, routine hasn't changed... the only thing I might attribute it to is that our hay is coming from all over the place now and I imagine the minerals etc are different due to the difference in soil from Texas to Florida to Virginia and so on. Any good insights as to something I can do, aside from 24/7 hay and painting the barn with No Chew? They have salt blocks, they are grained twice a day with beet pulp AM, bagged alfalfa/timothy at night, and coastal hay at least 3 times a day, more if I'm around to do it. And they are on Platinum. And Fastrack. It sounds like big rats out there when I walk into the barn now, driving me nuts LOL.

Jan

Perhaps try just a plain loose horse mineral, like Purina's 12:12. I know there are others out there, but this is one that should be available anywhere. [Don't know if it would be the same for horses, but our vet told us when the cows start chewing on or eating odd things, that its often a lack of calcium. Although, if you are feeding beet pulp and some alfalfla, I can't believe that would be the case, as both are high in Calcium.]

Are they all doing it Jan, or just one or two? The ones who are chewing. Are they together or separage? You will have to try to discover, if it is something suddenly lacking in their feed, or a habit picked up from another, or just plain old boredom.

To stop the chewing, you can nail large pieces of metal over and across all barn divider tops. These should come down at least 8" each side. When my daughter purchased her ranch, it had been an old Thoroughbred racing stable. Presumably the Thoroughbreds chewed, since all wood has the metal coverings.

Lizzie

Sometimes boredom is the cause, and not just a lack of something in the diet. When one picks up a habit, often the rest of the barn will do it, too (whether it's lip flapping, wood chewing, or whatever)...

I would deter the habit ASAP because if they decide it's fun... it will be very hard t deter...

Why do horses eat wood?

To get the grain out!

(sorry, that's the joke my coworkers hate the most...)

Andrea

I think you already nailed it Jan with the changes in hay but I'm going to add the change in the weather to it. Every year around now mine start doing goofy stuff too which doesn't last too long but I think its their prelude to winter. Mine are on their salt and mineral blocks like crazy right now. I am chalking this up to the weather changes and the changes taking place in the ground lacking nutrients. They want their green grass back! I'll bet they think they are lacking something too. Maybe you can throw a bunch of them in the round pen together and practice them for a circus act to get their minds straight and teeth off of the dang wood! LOL

Marty I don't think mine have seen green grass since last year LOL! I may put out some 12:12 and see if that helps... was going to say it shouldn't be boredom, but it has started with a couple of the worst ones since they came back from Nationals. Maybe time they go back to work..

Jan

Marty I don't think mine have seen green grass since last year LOL! I may put out some 12:12 and see if that helps... was going to say it shouldn't be boredom, but it has started with a couple of the worst ones since they came back from Nationals. Maybe time they go back to work..

Jan
For those couple, perhaps the start of ulcers. It can cause strange behavior. Perhaps a little alfalfa in their diet, it can help with ulcers, or one of the OTC equine ulcers meds. [i have one with health issues, and the vet recommended a couple supplements including a daily ulcer med, I use U-Gard pellets. Since he's the only one on these particular supplements, I use SmartPaks for him.]

Good call Chanda
default_yes.gif

Ditto on the Ulcers. Im currently treating one of my horses for ulcers. Long before we knew anything was "wrong" he started chewing like a beaver, to the point that we were replacing wood weekly. I thought he learned a new habit and was being a butt. He also taught his neighbor how to chew. I did try minerals, and even the quitt supplement, but it didnt help. Turns out horse A has ulcers, horse B is just the "monkey see monkey do" type.

I supplement with kelp and have noticed the few times that I have run out...within a week, they will be chewing wood.

Try the loose minerals. I've noticed mine have started scarfing it down this time of year. When I first got Lexy, she chewed wood and taught Jelly Bean to do it also. I tried everything to get them to stop. When I added the loose minerals and started feeding more hay, they stopped. Now they are fat, but the stalls are intact!

Good Luck
default_saludando.gif

Do you use a trace mineral block? Mine only chew when one is not available to them.

Back